PDA

View Full Version : heart OR liver

KiP
11-05-2002, 06:25 PM
Hello

I have talked to seval people and they think that liver has no fat , but its a liver! what to u peeps think would be the best?

Cobolt
(the food i make YUM!!!!!)

11-05-2002, 06:57 PM
I prefer liver over turkeyhearts and beefheart, but have switched to an all-seafood mix, I get better results with the new mix over any of the beef/poultry meats.

jeep
11-05-2002, 07:07 PM
I personally wouldn't ask my fish to eat anything I wouldn't eat, and I HATE liver!!! :P :P :P

11-05-2002, 07:12 PM
so what type of fish cocktail is this, where do u get the fish meat, and what's the recipie to make it???

Cormorant
11-05-2002, 07:13 PM
I tried to add liver into my last batch of beefheart. After running it through meat grinder it just looked too mushy for my taste.
My dog on the other hand didn't mind the mushiness at all.

Albert

11-05-2002, 07:23 PM
liver just turns into a slurry if you grind it, I only used it as 1/4 of my entire mix with dry ingredience and a good binder.

11-05-2002, 10:28 PM
If you want fast poluting water, then use them both.
If you want a diet that is clean and has high protein that both heart and liver can never match, then use pellets.

Oh, almost forgot about the millions of meat fiber and the white worms that both heart and liver will provide to your clean water.

Same goes for Formula One.

Sorry, but thats my opinion.

Good Luck.

bottle-blonde
11-05-2002, 10:34 PM
I personally wouldn't ask my fish to eat anything I wouldn't eat, and I HATE liver!!! :P :P :P

so... you'd be willing to eat bloodworms, daphnia and brine shrimp? you're a brave man... or stupid? disturbed? hungry?

hunterbeav
11-06-2002, 12:34 AM
Liver is extremely high in cholestrol like wayyyyyy high lol not good for people probably not to good for fish. But thats just my humble opion! :)

bottle-blonde
11-06-2002, 01:20 AM
besides... what does a liver do? it filters the toxins and crap out of your body. so basically isn't a liver essentially a toxin sponge? livers also tend to be tumorous. don't ask me why that is but according to doctors... let's just say the doctors i know won't eat the stuff so i figure that there's something in med school that turned them off and that's good enough for me to not want to feed liver to anything i care about.

jeep
11-06-2002, 01:29 AM
BB,

LMAO Actually I've never fed them live foods, BS or daphnia, just a beef heart mix that I actually did sample once (yummy).

But, then again, you have no idea what we used to bet on during those late night poker games in college... ;D ;D :P :P :P :P :P

rfidiscus
11-06-2002, 04:03 AM
Liver as stated earlier is not a good choice. Beefheart seems to get our fry to grow faster than the HBH or Hikari pellet food. The mess associated with heart is almost not worth it however. We do feed a mix that is 85% heart...clean and trimmed, 2 raw eggs(binder, xtra protein) a reptile vitamin(1 tsp. per 3lb of meat)1.5 tblspn. of crushed garlic and 15% of either imitation crab meat or shrimp(raw). We sometimes add a tblspn. of spirulina to the mix. This mix come out to be around $1 per lb (at least for us) so it is a great protein source loaded with vitamins and is way cheaper than the pellet foods.

11-08-2002, 12:17 AM
BH has only 17.05% protein, reference from USDA.
Compare to 49-50% protein of Hikari pellets.

Take your pick.

rfidiscus
11-10-2002, 11:59 PM
I feed the hikari and the hbh. I realize the protein difference, but I can't deny that my fry seem to grow better with an occasional meal of beefheart mix. I haven't figured this one out. Do you think it could be due to the added vitamins or just different protein absorbtion rates?