PDA

View Full Version : How many?

erikiiy
11-05-2002, 07:35 PM
Tanks that is.

I only have 1 tank and 1 pond right now.

I personally would not have any more tanks (maybe I'll get rid of my small tank and get a bigger one). If I was to have a few tanks, I might have to spend a couple of hrs doing w/c, cleaning, etc. I rather spend my home time with my son and wife.

Maybe I don't have an addiction for discus (yet).

So how many tanks do you all have?
How many hrs do you spend doing w/c, cleaning, etc.?

11-05-2002, 07:50 PM
I only have three tanks and I spend an hour per day doing the WC's

darcy
11-05-2002, 08:41 PM
I have 7 tanks going at the moment. But Christmas is on the way. Wc's take me an hour or so, longer when I wipe the glass and clean filter's.
Darcy

Jeff
11-05-2002, 08:46 PM
I and my brother spend 2-4 hours each day to clean out tanks.

April
11-05-2002, 08:47 PM
i have some at work.and some at home.
about an hour or so at work..or longer...then an hour or less at home.

Preeda_Lim
11-05-2002, 09:13 PM
Hi,

I have 3 tanks @ my home w/c takes 1/2 Hr but take an hr. or more to enjoy them. and have another 2 @ my uncle's home and he takes care for me.

Preeda

Rick00
11-05-2002, 09:41 PM
i have three....and it takes me about an hour to clean...

hmmmmmmm, funny i started with one tank six months ago and look they multiplied ;D ;D

Rick

korbi_doc
11-05-2002, 09:56 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Hi all, I have 7 tanks right now, only 5 occupied. 1 was for the sword plants in QT that are now in the 125 with discus. 1 20g has 5 cories that are soon to be moved into the 125g. My 90g has 8 discus & 4 cories, plastic plants & driftwood. My 37g QT has 20 cute little Bolivian ram babies that are here a week & doing great, really excited 'bout that cuz the last batch I bought all died within 3 days. Takes 'bout 15 mins / tank for w/c & soon will only have the 2 big tanks occupied & maybe a small one for the extra rams, should they continue to do well. Anyone know how many rams can be in the 90g & 125g with discus? They are supposed to be pretty docile fish. BTW almost forgot, horrors! 1 65 hex tank has SW fish in it!! only 3!! Guess I'll need more plants as time progresses, if the swords do well. lol, Dottie ::) ::) ::)

hunterbeav
11-06-2002, 12:40 AM
We have 2- 75's, and 3 29's going and takes me about 1 1/2 hrs a day to w/c and wipe all tanks down. Clean filters every 3rd day, but clean pre filters every day !!! :)

keno
11-06-2002, 11:29 AM
I have a 225 and 120 with around 30 discus, I spend about an hour each day on maint. I work out of my home so its no big deal to have lunch and do a water change. ;D

Ken

Lynn
11-06-2002, 12:04 PM
I have 2-75g, and 2-55g. Takes about an hour for wc, longer on weekend when I clean filters.

erikiiy
11-06-2002, 02:04 PM
I guess it doesnt really take a long as I imagined.

Thank you all for your inputs, its appreciated.

John_Nicholson
11-06-2002, 02:44 PM
I am currently running 11 tanks with 4 breeding pairs and there offspring. I change 140 gallons of water a day and it takes about 1 1/2 total. I do have all of my tanks drilled and plumbed in for refill.

-john

saints27
11-06-2002, 11:19 PM
3 months ago I had never kept a fish in my life now I have 31 tanks (12 with discus).
W/C takes me about 1 1/2 hours a day

Jamie

keno
11-07-2002, 06:29 PM
Oh Jamie, you got bitten bad! ;D ;D ;D

saints27
11-07-2002, 08:21 PM
I Know its worse than a drug addiction and probably more expensive as well.LOL

Jamie

EthanCote.com
11-07-2002, 08:35 PM
Wow Jamie 31 tanks? Yer living my dream =)

Can anyone beat Jamie on this in term of how many tanks in their house?

Cheers,

Chi.

scottwheels
11-07-2002, 08:49 PM
Eleven. And counting.

korbi_doc
11-07-2002, 10:26 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2:

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've had fish on & off since my kids were toddlers, & they're in forties & this is probably the most I've managed, 10. That's more than enough to take care of!!!!!!!!!!! Now, if I ever retired, could have a fish room with many tanks, but that'll never happen. Besides,I like watching them in my LR & sitting here at the pc. lol, Dottie ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :bounce: :bounce:

DarkDiscus
11-08-2002, 09:37 AM
I own 8 tanks but only have 4 running right now. I keep having dreams of owning a house with a basement... I wonder what I'm going to do to that basement...

;D

Seriously, I know what I can handle and unless I come up with an automatic system so good that it eliminates a ton of work, I can manage 10 tanks with a capacity of about 400 gallons daily, no more.

John

ChienHsu
11-08-2002, 09:53 AM
Hi!

I have two tanks (60 gallon and 10 gallon). I am doing the experiment to keep one of slow growing (or runted) ones in the 10 gallon and try to feed it as many as i can to see whether it can boot up the growth. I do 50% wc and it takes about 1/2 hour.

Chien

11-08-2002, 09:59 AM
Don't waste your time dreaming the automatic system. I'd just dismantled my drip and automatic siphoning system for every four hours. I've been using it quite a few years untill my last hydro bill came last month. It usually cost about $300/month. It shot up to over $500 due to de-regulation of our electrical Co. by the gov't. A drip system waste a lot of energy, draining your $$$$ away contantly. I normally had 20 plus tanks on the average of 45 gal each. That's spell the end of my obsession of breeding and wanting more new strains. I need a life other than Discus. I just scaled down to 5 show tanks and overcrowding it to 4 gal/fish. I have 40 adults breeders in a 150 gal. making 100% W/C twice a day automatically. Having a basement full of tanks sometimes is not a good idea even you have money to throw away. JMHO

Jimmy.

BLUEKNIGHT
11-08-2002, 10:02 AM
I got 4 tanks it takes me about 30 min each day for each WC. ;D

DarkDiscus
11-08-2002, 10:05 AM
Jimmy,

I know what you are saying! I also really think that 10 tanks for me would maximize enjoyment without going beyond it being a hobby. My thoughts are 1 big show tank, 3 big growouts, 5 breeding tanks and a QT. Any thoughts?

John

korbi_doc
11-08-2002, 10:38 AM
:bounce2: :bounce2: How's 'bout 2 show tanks??? That's what I have, a 90g & 125g, next to each other (@right angle) in the LR, window in between to siphon @w/c, 35g RM in between to age the water; makes it easier. lol just my thoughts, Dottie ;D ;D

11-08-2002, 10:45 AM
I have 13 tanks:

1 180g tank
2 65g tanks
3 55g tanks
1 50g tank
6 30g tanks

The 30g tanks are typically unoccupied but are for use for quarantine, breeding & hospital. The other tanks are usually full. Right now the 50g tank (the one built into the wall) is empty as I try to figure out why every group of fish I put in there freaks out 2 or 3x a day. They just get startled and dash around. Then they are calm and fine, later they do it all over again. No matter what fish I put in there (other then Angels, they'd be happy in the toilet bowl) they do this, and stop doing this after I move them. I figure it's because either the tank is resting against a wall beam or because it's sitting on a beam within the wall and the vibrations are transferred through the tank more then they are when the tanks are sitting on a freestanding stand.

I spend 45 minutes a day doing water changes. While tanks are refilling I clean glass & sponges so it adds no time. Feeding used to take a ton of time as I was feeding 6-7x a day. Now that I feed 3x a day it is a lot more convenient. The tanks stay cleaner too.

Dave

11-08-2002, 12:27 PM
John: The biggest problem is the breeding tanks. Once you have a succesful pair,they breed like wild fire. Each brood produces over 100 fry/month and very often you find yourself stuck with the fry and no where to put them. You keep buying more tanks , heaters and W/C. Soon it will get out of control and you become a poo sucking slave. A chain reaction that leads to a miserable life , nothing but water change and constant feedings. I wish I could go back to 1 breeding pair producing 4 broods a year to break even the cost of mainteinance. That's what I'm aiming for. Breeding is fine as long as it doesn't get out of hand and make sure you have time for the rest of the family. For an hobbyist. One breeding pair is more than enough. That's why I sold off 70% of my breeders. Just to save the energy bill and have time to do something else. JMHO

Jimmy.

zoids
11-08-2002, 12:38 PM
Jimmy,

I share your same thoughts. One good breeding pair is enough to drive the average hobbyist nuts with fry.

Most importantly keep the hobby sane enough where you don't compromise time with family.

DarkDiscus
11-08-2002, 12:44 PM
Jimmy,

I see what you mean. Of course I could cut down one of the breeding tanks and cycle the pairs back to one another big holding tank for breeders in between the times I need them. Would that work at all?

Sounds like you've been burned out! But you're still posting here, so the embers of the addiction are still there!

Seriously, I appreciate the information. I want to be able to enjoy the hobby, breed enough to offset costs and do some experimentation on crossing lines and NOT get burned out. What do you suggest?

John

korbi_doc
11-08-2002, 02:05 PM
:bounce: :bounce: Ok guys, after reading these last several posts, I'm going to ignore the fact that some eggs were laid on the driftwood in the 125g tank. There were 2 fish, (Cary's red ss) that were protecting them, but who knows m,f,or 2 fs? Whatever, guess you have forewarned me to keep this strictly fun, cuz with horses & a surgery in my near future I'll have no time for more w/c, etc. This is gonna be a long winter, my baby rams will keep me busy anyway. lol, Dottie 8) 8) 8)

11-08-2002, 02:16 PM
John:I'll have discus for the rest of my life as long as I'm able to keep them. Sometimes I found myself obsess with the breeding program and didn't realize I was being controlled by the fish. Pospone all important appointments and chores just to stay in my fishroom. That's pure slavery without knowing it. Just ask your spouse what she thinks of your fish keeping hobby. They can always see things more clearly than ourselves. Just my $0.02.

Jimmy.

EthanCote.com
11-08-2002, 02:28 PM
Hey JimmyL,

Send them my way ;D (beg, beg and beg) hehehe

I'll be taking care of your problem once I hit Toronto this Xmas. ;D

Hmm I wonder how many tanks I can have in my place? *evil grin*.

I saw a post of a person selling off his entire supplies of tanks from his basement, I think the total number of tanks (of various size) is about 25. If only I have the cash and a basement, I might take up the challenge. He wants to sell them all in one shot, but I'm trying to get him to sell me 2 or 3 hehe.

I know the Hydro increase is rediculous and is putting a big strain on alot of people and businesses.

Cheers,

Chi.

EthanCote.com
11-08-2002, 02:31 PM
Right now got only 1 tank, but thinking of getting two 33 gallons (for 2 breeders) and one 20 gallon (for QT) and I'll grow babies out in my 75 gallon show tank.

What do you think?

Cheers,

Chi.

11-08-2002, 02:37 PM
I'd skip the 20g and get all 30g or larger. They're more useful then anything smaller imo.

Dave

EthanCote.com
11-08-2002, 02:46 PM
Ok Dave,

You twist my arms ;D I'll get three 33 gallons ;D Only reason I wanted the 20 was due to a lack of space, but i'm sure I will find a place for it.

Cheers,

Chi.