PDA

View Full Version : Amazon Swords

vosevichs
11-06-2002, 11:04 PM
I just bought 2 more Amazon Swords and they have runners on them with 3 - 4 plantlets on them. ;D When should I trim them off and plant them or should I? One still has a bud on it that hasn't bloomed yet.

Thanks,
Scott Vosevich

Ralph
11-06-2002, 11:51 PM
They're good to go now. With the right growing conditions, swords are very resilient. I've cut them loose with one leaf and one root. The runner doesn't seem to act like an umbilical (lifeline), it's more like a means of clumping. In a river, they want to take over an area that meets their needs as opposed to say just cutting loose plantlets and hoping that they end up somewhere they can grow.
I have had some problem transplanting swords in general though. It's a small percentage but some of them, regardless of size, just stop growing after they're moved. They never start growing again either but they will send out runners that make normal plants. I don't know what causes it.

ChloroPhil
11-25-2002, 04:38 PM
Plant them all at the same time and wait a few weeks before separating the runner from the main plant. This'll give them all a chance to establish themselves. Adding a fertilizer tab under the main plant will help a lot too.

vosevichs
11-25-2002, 06:56 PM
I've done that. Plus I put 1/2 of a plant tab under each plantlet. They've been in there for a month now and doing wonderfully. I've left the plantlets attached to the runners. It looks more natural.

ChloroPhil
11-25-2002, 08:31 PM
It is a pretty sight, isn't it? At some point though you're going want to separate the babies from the mother because they're going still taking energy away from "her". They'll all be healthier and will develop better if separated after having a chance to establish.

Do you have pictures of your sword to show us? I'd like to see what it looks like.

vosevichs
11-26-2002, 08:50 PM
Sorry, no Pics. Wish I had some they look petty neat.

Thanks for the advice
Scott Vosevich