PDA

View Full Version : advice on new discus

bottle-blonde
11-07-2002, 09:53 PM
hey.

right now i have three red turqs in my tank. the two larger ones (2.5-3inches) are leopards and there's another that's a ss and he's only 1.5 inches. i've noticed he'll come out and eat with the other fish but really isn't growing as fast. i'm debating between getting another 3 incher that's really beautiful, or a couple of 1.5-2 inchers that will probably turn out to be nice fish.

the reason i'm really thinking this one over is because i figure if there are some other fish in the tank that are the same size as the smaller guy then he'll feel more confident. BUT, here's what they look like. they're light yellow with blue flecks on their fins and some very light peppering. will the yellow darken up? they are small fish in a tank with 4 inchers and they spend most of their time in hiding. it's possible that they're really very nice fish and the peppering will go away when they're in a better environment. the bigger fish i would like is a really nice blue diamond with great colouring that's 3 inches.

what do you guys think?

Richman
11-07-2002, 10:55 PM
Hey, BB
I think you should buy all of them. That will give you 6, which is a better number for everyone. Helps keep everyone company and it is better for all the fish. In fact, whatever the problem is, I'm beginning to think the solution is to buy more fish. My nose itches. Think I'll go buy more fish. haha

bottle-blonde
11-07-2002, 11:09 PM
you know what though? i think i should wait and get some of cary's fish. it's better to wait for the quality...

11-07-2002, 11:12 PM
yea...go for cary's fish. Also, buy more small fish and grow them out, because I'm sure you are a dedicated discus enthusiast, you don't need the extra time of quality care they get from Cary...so by spending less you can have more fish then pick out your favorites after they get older and sell or keep the others!!!

Richman
11-07-2002, 11:23 PM
You bet!!
Buy several from Cary. I have 15 fish in a 100 gallon tank ranging from about 5 1/2 inches down to 3 and they get along fine. The number solves a lot of problems. That way you can get better fish. Grow them out. But I don't agree that you should get rid of any of them. Just keep them and buy more tanks!!!

April
11-08-2002, 12:16 AM
Erin..wait and go with carys fish. for sure.
and let me know when their coming...as i want to share shipping with you. ;D
i cant have carys fish flying into town without one or two in the box for me.... LOL.
it'll save you shipping money. ;D ::)
tell him mom is gonna order with you.

bottle-blonde
11-08-2002, 12:30 AM
that sounds like a plan april! :)