PDA

View Full Version : Tape Worm ?

Aquarius
11-08-2002, 01:14 AM
Hello All,

I have a Discus that i've had for ablout 4 month. He was always kinda the loner of the group in the 125, though was active in swimming and eating, just not out of my hands. Would stay in the back until I stepped away from the tank.

Well, tonight, I got home from the movies right before the lights go off on the tank, and I was looking them over, and this Discus had what I would call a Tapeworm, as it look as such. White, about 3 1/2 inches and segmented, as there were darker whaite bands evenly spaced.

If this is a tapeworm, why is the discus droping it now? Do they drop them on there ownevery so often and I haden't seen it before. Or could it be from the larger then norm w/c I did today with a lower water temp too.

Also, if this is a tapeworm, please post the name and link to where I can get the drugs

Thanks

-steve

fcdiscus
11-08-2002, 01:28 AM
Yes Steve- sure sounds like a tapeworm to me. They will drop one on occasion, but you can be sure there are more. Try billman@citynet.net for Praziquantel. His name is Barry Illman. Good luck, frank

keno
11-08-2002, 10:50 AM
Prazi is probably the best for the treatment of tapeworms, most other drugs tend to be hard on the fish. I got mine from Barry also as Steve has pointed out.

Ken

11-08-2002, 12:49 PM
The segments it is passing are full of eggs. These detatch from the worm for reproduction. The worm is still attached in your fish's intestine.

Mat :)

ronrca
11-08-2002, 05:26 PM
Have or hopefully had the same problem! 12 discus juvs, 1 is way behind in growth. Started 21 day flubendazole treatment beginning of this weekend. The poor little guy has been crapping out tapeworm for the last 2-3 days. No wonder he is so behind in growth.

Smokey
11-10-2002, 09:33 PM
sorry to hear about the worm problem... Hope it is irradicated soon.

Denny
11-10-2002, 09:50 PM
steve

it must be the season, my fish dropped some too yesterday

denny

rfidiscus
11-10-2002, 11:14 PM
I have had good luck in the past using 1- 34 mg tablet of Droncit (dog dewormer) per 4 ounces of fish food. Take 4 oz of frozen bloodworms or beefheart... thaw out, crush up tablet into powder, mix into bloodworms, refreeze... feed to all of your fish. Repeat this 2 days in a row and then again 7 days later. I have spoken with several fish vets (ken reeves being one of them) and they told me that droncit ie. prezequantil(spelling?) has a very low tox. to fish. I have used this as earlier stated and it completly cleaned the fish intestine track out and the worms didn't return. I never saw any side effect from this treatment, as a matter of fact the fish breed and raised fry on a normal basis during and after this treatment. You may obtain this from your local vet.
TLM

fcdiscus
11-11-2002, 01:01 AM
Hey Tom, the stuff from Barry is much less expensive than thru the Vet, and it can be put in water or food much more readily, without crushing. Frank