PDA

View Full Version : python problems

bottle-blonde
11-08-2002, 04:54 PM
i just went out and bought a python only to discover that my sink faucet has no threads for me to screw the thing on with. so much for making things faster. i guess i'll go back to the pet store and return it now... grrrr.

georgef
11-08-2002, 04:59 PM
Hey, bb --

The good doctors Foster and Smith have a universal adapter you can get here:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=3922

:)

mench
11-08-2002, 05:00 PM
depending on what type of faucet you have,it either should unscrew or it should have threads on it,either way you can get adapters for it so ya can use the Python.

Mench

bottle-blonde
11-08-2002, 05:01 PM
i wonder if they have something like that at local hardware stores. i want to play with my new toy now and don't want to have to wait for mail order.

your post gave me hope though so maybe i won't return the python.

thanks!

Carol_Roberts
11-08-2002, 05:33 PM
The python may have come with an adapter. By the way, I don't use the part where you hook it to the faucet to drain your tank. I just thow the other end out the door or in the bathtub to drain and clean the tanks. To refill my water storage tanks, I attach the python to my faucet just like you attach a garden hose to a faucet. I don't use that funny shaped green piece at all.
Carol :heart1:

georgef
11-08-2002, 05:47 PM
I don't believe it comes with the universal adapter. At least mine didn't.

I'm sure you could take that "funny shaped green piece" ;) to the hardware store and tell them what you need and they can fix you right up. The "universal adapter" is nothing more than a stainless steel or brass fitting that screws into the faucet pump and is attached via a rubber hose to your faucet with a hose clamp. The pieces parts would probably cost less at the hardware store than the "universal adapter", too.

:)

RAWesolowski
11-08-2002, 06:00 PM
BB!

Don't return the Python, replace your faucet!

11-08-2002, 06:11 PM
I agree with Bob.. lol.... Phython 2 Faucet 0......

Julz

11-08-2002, 06:44 PM
I had this problem when I started using my python to drain and fill the tank in my bedroom.

the bathroom sink faucet had no threads, I tried that universal adapter, found it at Canadian Tire, it was garbage the water pressure kept blowing it off no matter how tight I screwed it on.

eventually what worked is, I got a brass python adapter and took apart the faucet, I removed the aerater and flow reducer stuff, and inside behind all that junk was threads that the adapter could screw into.

So get a wrench out and have a look.

hth

Carol_Roberts
11-08-2002, 06:52 PM
Yes, I have threads inside the bathroom facucet, and outside of the kitchen faucet.
Carol :heart1:

daninthesand
11-08-2002, 07:12 PM
Try a place that carries waterbeds. They usually have adapters for filling from the tap. They also sell, devices basically identical to python except without the hose

Daniel

bottle-blonde
11-08-2002, 07:13 PM
i have no threads anywhere and as a renter that doesn't want to stay here very long i'm not going to mess around with that stuff. besides, lifting buckets really is quite a good upper body workout!

Rick_May
11-08-2002, 07:27 PM
BB,
I really think your missing the part about unscrewing the aereater its the last part on your faucet.

Rick00
11-08-2002, 08:01 PM
BB,

wait till u see your water bill....those things waste a ton of water....i bought a small utility pump and connected to my python. I pump the water and crap out and then hook it up to the facet.........the pump will pay for itself in a month....

Rick

Richman
11-08-2002, 08:36 PM
Your local hardware store has a connection called a "dishwasher hose adapter". They are made to allow you to use a diswasher that has hoses and attaches to the kitchen sink directly. One end will screw onto your faucet when you remove the aereator. I'm sure you have one. The other end is threaded for a water hose. Your water will flow out a lot stronger than normal. I have one on my bathroom faucet. When cleaning the tank, I just start a siphon by pinching the hose about 3 feet below the python--then fill the 3 feet of hose and the large end completely with water--drop the whole end into the tank--and the siphon starts. I just put the other end under the toilet lid and the water empties there. When the cleaning process is done, just attach the other end to the faucet and fill the tank. The advantage is that you can adjust the hot and cold so that the water goes into the tank at just the right temp. After the tank is filled, I add Amquel. My KH is 3 and my GH is 7. Ph 6.8 ---right from the tap. I'm in heaven. Trying to use a python with the waterbed type connection that siphons with water pressure exerted by running water will run your water bill sky high. You don't need that at all. Just get the siphon started and it will give you plenty suction to deep clean gravel(if you have it). The end where the water runs out just needs to be quite a bit lower than the tank.

bottle-blonde
11-08-2002, 09:06 PM
i'm trying to picture what you're talking about but i can't... you hook a hose up to your tap and run it into your toilet? this sounds like a cheaper option too so i'm really interested.

as for water bill - it's included in my rent ;)

April
11-08-2002, 09:06 PM
Erin....i have one sitting here i also cant use..and get a garden hose...and a magdrive pond pump. pump it out...and then pump it back in. out of a bucket in the bathtub. works great. my sink here had threads but too fine.and kept blowing off. and .i did get an adaptor with mine. a white ring with different size threads on it.
if you dont want to get a magdrive pond pump..get an 802 power head . pumps out fast.but not very good for pumping in if the tank is too high.

Richman
11-08-2002, 09:29 PM
Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I siphon the tank out into the toilet first. Large end in the tank. Outlet under the toilet lid. Get the siphon started by filling the large python end with water and letting it flow down into about 3 feet of hose(pinched off at the bottom). Everything filled completely with water so no air is anywhere in the large end or the three feet of hose. Make sure the pinched end is below the tank, then place the large part in the tank and let it go. It will start siphoning immediately. (Just make sure all air is completely out or it will stop the siphon). You then can clean and empty the tank. Just make sure you keep the large end completely submerged. (Any air will stop the siphon--making you start over again). If you have to jump over a centerpiece to clean the other side, pinch the hose, lift the big end up, put it in the other side, make sure all air is out, set go of the pinch, and resume vacumning. When you are through and ready to fill the tank, take the end out from the toilet lid, attach it to the faucet and fill the tank. Water will run out of the large python end into the tank. If you go to the hardware store to buy a dishwasher adapter, just take off your aerator, take it with you so you make sure you get the same threads on that end. The other end will always take a hose. Sorry, hope that is more clear. It is really simple.

Richman
11-08-2002, 10:10 PM
The only reason for the faucet adapter is to FILL the tank. There is never any pressure on it.
The siphon is strictly gravity flow. No reason to use a pump to siphon as long as the point where the water runs out is lower than the tank. A pump is used to carry water over the same level or to raise it. Also to give you more pressure if necessary.