PDA

View Full Version : Brooklyn 10/08

slicksta
11-09-2002, 01:31 AM
Some of the posters who made it out to Brooklyn this evening.......

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/17593BAS1.jpg

Lynn
11-09-2002, 01:43 AM
I wish I could've been there!
So, do we get a who's who?
I recognize some but not all!
Thanks for sharing the pic....hope you had a good time!

fcdiscus
11-09-2002, 02:10 AM
Yeah- How was it Slick? frank

BoxerDad
11-09-2002, 02:27 AM
Hello,

Well, just to start things off, I'd like to say that it was a good time for me and my daughter.

Really nice meeting everyone, especially meeting Cary for the first time and talking to him in person instead of over the phone. A few words about Cary Strong, having never met the man I would have to say he treated me and my daughter like a real friend even though this was the first time my daughter and I have met him. A real gentlemen and down to earth guy who I'm glad to have finally met in person and chat with for a little while. I aslo would like to say that everyone else that we met were also terrific but please excuse me as I did not get everyone's name.

Now as far as who's who. I'm John aka. BoxerDad and I'm standing in the back row, second one in on the left, to the right of David Webber. My daughter Alex is in the first row in front of me.

Hope to get togther again soon, maybe in CT. at Al's

slicksta
11-09-2002, 02:35 AM
Frank
It wasn't the most informative meeting, but it did explain the fish capture process for wilds, which I had only partial knowledge of....
The people were great, and they did auction off a wide variety of fish.....
I didn't pick any up.....waiting to see what the brewmaster has in store for us on the 23rd
It was nice to meet Cary in person...he's good people....... I didn't get a chance to speak with Tyler, but you can see why everyone on the board likes him... he's a good peop's as well.....
and that's all I have to say about that......

Tyler
11-09-2002, 03:09 AM
Thanks for the kind words Slicksta! Well, just to start it off, i have to say i had an awesome time! It was really great to meet some people from this forum......and actually get to know them a little better. The people i really got to chat with were Randy and Tracey, Cary, Joe, BoxerDad and his daughter, and a little bit with Dave Webber. I sat behind Cary and Randy for the presentation.....and i found my self laughing a number of times.....if anything, it was entertaining! But seriously, Dave and Joe put on a great presentation, and i found it interesting.
Joe also went the extra mile for me......he GAVE me a BEAUTIFUL Leopard snake. It's truly an awesome fish....and i never could have afforded to buy it myself, so thanks Joe!!! The fish is settling pretty good into its 20 gal. Q tank, so hopefully it will be fine by tomorrow. I'll get pics when i see that hes ready.......thanks again Joe, i love him!

Tyler

p.s. And if you can't figure it out, im the small guy in the front middle :) .

chuck
11-09-2002, 10:48 AM
From left to right ( Back Row)
David Webber, John Appuza, Randy, Cary, Joe Szelesi.
Front Row Left to Right
Sticksta (?) John's Daughter(alex), Tyler, Ellen ( breeder who lives on LI).
I was there but missed out on the photo shoot, :P :P 8) 8)
It was interesting, And Fun putting faces on posters, Everyone was really nice and friendly, and it felt like you knew them for years.
There was about 100 people there, they had a auction, of about 50 fish, everything from apple snail, breeding cones, CBW( blackworms with trays), and about 20 Discus, One of Joe's Discus went For $100 (something he called a Giant Floridian? said it came from Viet Nam a real large Beauty).
I left about 11:30 and the auction was still going..... :o

The Next interesting presentation will be by Dr Wellfish (american Pharm.?) on how to diagnose and treat diseases in fish that's on Fed 14.

chuck

PS: Gary was there also, but camera shy also.

April
11-09-2002, 11:41 AM
Pretty cool....wish i was there. im starting to feel like im living
on the wrong coastline!! missing all the get togeathers.
waaaaa.
Tyler...your a lucky boy...getting a nice new fishie....

slicksta
11-09-2002, 11:48 AM
Chuck

Thanks......I'm terrible with names..... ::)
....sorry I missed you in the pic....next time....I'll be more evasive and take some undercover pics.....we should have taken the group one earlier.....
hope your coming to the N/E.....should get some good ones there.....especially if brewmiester has a tasting.......

John

BoxerDad
11-09-2002, 11:55 AM
For Chuck,

Hey Chuck , you should have stayed. I gave my daughter your tickets and she won one of the door prizes. Some Wardley flake foods, a 1999 TFH mag, and some flyers. There here if you want them!!!!! Very nice meeting you, hope we can get togther again and talk discus. If things don't change at this end I hope to go to Al's. Your more than welcome to swing by here, leave your car and go with me.

I'll keep in touch, take care and have a nice weekend.

John Apuzza

chuck
11-09-2002, 12:07 PM
JOhn,
That's Great!!! :thumbsup:
No way... She can have them, I gave the tickets to her!!!! Hope she enjoys them, What year was the Fish Mag? LOL
chuck

Willie
11-09-2002, 12:38 PM
Slicksta;

Nice picture. How did you get it so big? Everything I post shows up tiny.

Willie

tango0806
11-09-2002, 12:42 PM
Hello:

Although we did not get into any pictures my wife and I were at the meeting. I did get to meet Cary and David. Joe we know personally, I've been to his hatchery twice. I picked up a Red Spotted Green from David nice fish and it's doing much better today. All in all it seemed like a nice time was had by everyone. David's talk on catching wilds was interesting. I'm disappointed Chuck that I didn't get to meet you since we are practically neighbors. Randy I had planned to come over and introcuce myself more than once but somehow It just didn't work out that way sorry.

John G

slicksta
11-09-2002, 02:24 PM
Willie

I use Brew's method two.......
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=11;action=display;threadid=1430;st art=0

hmmmm..... a lot of Johns there last night....and into discus in NY..... ;D

John

chuck
11-09-2002, 04:30 PM
Gosh I can't beleave I missed a few of you guys... :-\
I was so over whelmed with The Skeletons of the seal and porpose and the mounts of the sword fish , tuna, and sea turtles not to mention the narwal tusk decorating the walls and floor. And a room full of faces who I never seen in my life ;) maybe we should have wore Simply discus t's ;)
I'll make sure I'll meet ya at al's....
This Time I'l also bring a digital camera....
John Appuza if your serious, it sounds good about car pooling either me or you driving... when It gets closer we'll talk.... I can pick up my fish then on the way back... ;D

chuck

TheDiscusKid
11-09-2002, 05:26 PM
From what I heard it ws a great presentation and everyone had a great time there. Man i wished i could've gone to it. Its cool that you got a new discus to add to your collection Tyler. Its going to look great with your other discus. hey Tyler maybe you should show the picture of what Cary and Randy did to you LOL :) Great picture

Bruce

Tyler
11-09-2002, 05:43 PM
lol, heres that pic Bruce was talking about. An example of how nice to me Randy and Cary were last night.....lol, just kidden, they were great guys and I'm glad i got to meet them. They probably won't be able to reply here for a couple of days though, as they are still in NYC.
About my fish.....hes looking pretty good, and seems to have all his color back. His fins seem to be burned a little however, by the ammonia in the bag. He was in there for a while.....so, is there anything i could do to help his fins to heal quicker? Or just wait it out?

Tyler

slicksta
11-09-2002, 06:10 PM
Tyler
They got you good and your mom really caught the action well...... ;)
It's great how discus people are just that........great.....
As far as your fish.... I would wait it out....A little salt and heat could help, but I don't think it necessary, especially if there are no signs of stress.... I don't like Mela-fix...
I can't remember who said it last night...I think it was Joe....but he doesn't like to put anything in the water, and I agree...
Now post a pic of that beauty........
John

Tyler
11-09-2002, 06:20 PM
John,
I tend to think the same way, the less junk you put in your tank, the better. I have the heat up around 90, so maybe ill just leave him like that. Nothing beats a little heat and lots of water changes.
Here is a pic of him i just snapped quickly. Now, let me warn you, this is a pretty bad picture. Once he heals up good, ill get some more light on the tank and really take some nice shots.......this one gives you the idea, although it does the fish no justice.

Tyler

slicksta
11-09-2002, 06:33 PM
Tyler

NICE
He doesn't look that bad.....not that bad at all...... his fins should be back in a week or so....
If he is out enough for you to take a pic.....that's a good sign
If you like, you can give him to me for the next five or ten years and I'll nurse him back for you... ;D

Good luck........:bandana:

http://gallery.pethobbyist.com/data/17593bas2.jpg

Tyler
11-09-2002, 07:19 PM
Thanks John,
I think he can stay right here in my tank :P . I've had him for a day, and I'm in love.....hes beautiful. Oh, and he kinda always has to be out for pics. Hes in a 20 Hex, barebottom. That really doesn't leave much space to hide :) .

Tyler

11-10-2002, 01:43 AM
Man O Man!

What a place. What a city WOW!!!!!

It was great to meet everyone from NY I had a great time seeing the city and meeting all of you! Everyone was so kind to Me THANKS! we will meet again!
and again.

Also a Big thanks to Dave webber for letting me crash at his Pad! right in the heart of the city. Thanks Dave Your tea was Tasty :P not to metion the wide selection of quality wilds on wilds with fry! ;D

THANKS boxer John, slick John, tango John, tyler, tyler's mom, Chuckster,Joe,randy,tracy
And Everyone else that showed up that I met in Atlanta.
EVERYONE WAS GREAT! to me THANKS again.

Tyler,
That discus was baged for 15 hours or more lots or w/cs salt and some melafix will get him good as gold in a week or less.
IME the melafix will help promote fin genaration faster.

BYE Everyone!
TakeCare'
Cary Gld!

April
11-10-2002, 04:19 AM
great pics!! Heh...my two sons togeather!! "He aint heavy hes my brother".
signed.... MOM . LOL ;D 8)

gary
11-10-2002, 01:25 PM
For Boxerdad and chuck,
Really nice to meet your guys, oh, and Boxerdad's daughter. This is my first time to join the discus fans' meeting. It was an great experience. But I didn't buy any discus, because I didn't have enought cash and they don't receive credit card ;D ;D. Forgot to mention the discus book was also great. I hope I will get one later. Do your guys planning to go to Al's place on 23rd? I hope he will have enough discus for auction. I really want to expand my collection.
By the way chuck, I am not camera shy. I left 5 min. early to catch the train. I hope we will take more pictures in AL's place.
For Cary,
Really nice to see your there, but I am little shy. ::) ::)I didn't get the chance to talk to you. I hope you will go to Al's place too on 23rd.
Gary

slicksta
11-10-2002, 01:41 PM
gary

you were like a ninja....you came in like the wind, and left in the blink of an eye...
grasshopper....no need to be shy....
I am going to be on a photo mission at Al's......no prisoners....

Tyler
11-10-2002, 01:53 PM
Cary,
I'm fine with the w/c, but how much salt should i add? Do i redose the salt after each w/c? Also, do i redose with Melafix after each w/c???
Thanks a bunch

Tyler

p.s. Hope to see some of you again at Al's!

chuck
11-10-2002, 03:28 PM
Tyler,
Until Cary gets a chance to answer,
the usual dose is 1 tablespoon of salt /10 gal. you only replace the salt removed when you do a water change.
example if you remove 5 gal of water you add 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt with the replacement water. the same goes for the melafix.
chuck

ps: 3 TEAspoons = 1 TABLEspoon

Tyler
11-10-2002, 05:56 PM
Thanks Chuck,
When i have used it before, i did 1 tablespoon per ten gallons also..... so ill just do that again, and replace as neccesary with w/c.
Thanks!!

Tyler

11-11-2002, 09:04 PM
Hi all, well we finally made it home. Our flight back home was delayed almost 4 hrs so it made for a long day. We sure had a blast visiting the big apple for 4 days. It sure was an eye opening experience.
We arrived there Friday afternoon and went to the hotel long enough to toss our suitcases onto the floor and to give Dave a call to get directions to his place. Dave thanks for your hospitality we sure had a good time. Dave sure has some sweet discus. He had several that Cary and I could of fought over. Dave dont forget me when you start to breed those special ones.............
After grabbing a bite to eat and hanging a Dave's awhile we all jumped into Dave and Joe's vehicles for the ride to the meeting place at Coney Island and it only took us all of 10 minutes to get lost and end up in Queens HAHA.
We finally made it to the New York Aquaruim where the meeting was being held at. I must say Dave and Joe did a fine job and even after Cary and I had threatened several times to heckle them we decided to be nice and act like grownups and not children which was very hard for the both of us.
It sure was nice meeting everyone and know I missed more than a few but trying to talk to 100 people within a few hours that happens....How about name tags next time........
Tyler it was really fun meeting you and your mom. I hope I didnt get you in any trouble with your mom. I'm sure she thinks we are all a little bit crazy. Keep on her about going to Cinici.....
After the meeting the better half and I stayed another 3 days enjoying the sites around town. I must say that is one wild town...I understand now why the saying for New York city is "The city that never sleeps"
I will try to post some pics in a few days..............

Randy

PS Cary thanks for the gifts :) :)

Tyler
11-11-2002, 11:21 PM
Randy,
Glad to hear you and Tracy got back safely! Bet after a couple days in the city, your ready to get back home and rest.
Mom says shes happy to hear your home.......and i just reiterated how imported cinci is to her!!! lol. I actually have a couple questions about it, so maybe ill send you pm......
It was great to meet you both, hope to see you again soon!

Tyler

brewmaster15
11-12-2002, 01:32 PM
Sounds like you all had great trip. :) Its always nice to meet other Discus nuts.

I'm looking forwarding to meeting many at the NOV 23rd meeting. Should be a lot of fun.

Keep in mind I'm not a breeder or importer of quality wilds like DW. I'm just an obsessed hobbyist like you all. I like to think I have a few decent fishes--some wild crosses I am working on, and some nice Great Lakes and Rocky Mountian Discus stock, but we'll see. I can only guarantee that there will be ample home brews to try if interested, and several heat levels of home made salsa. Jeff Richards will talk on operating a hatchery, and I'll be giving you a talk about artificial rearing of Discus. Probably give a demo as well, as I have some going now.
I should have some discus in need of adoption as well.

see you there,
al

chuck
11-12-2002, 01:38 PM
Can't wait Al, They say the best thing for putting out Hot Salsa is Beer, We'll soon see! ;D ;D
chuck

11-12-2002, 04:43 PM
Hi Tyler, yes a few days rest will be needed after last week but it was an enjoyable time. Sorry to say I cant make it up to Al's for another get together. I have had plans for that weekend for some time which are unbreakable...

Tyler the two web pages you wanted I will list below.......
Randy

http://www.bestwestern.com/prop_36113
http://www.aca2003.com/

Tyler
11-12-2002, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the sites Randy!!
I'll look them over tonight, and get back to you if i have any questions..........hope i can make it.

Tyler

11-13-2002, 01:17 AM
NO! thank You Randy And Tracy and My little Honey chris for Your gifts!!!!!!

MY SON's been a cop for 3 days now :o :o :o LOL!

GLD + FAMILY

April
11-13-2002, 01:20 AM
LOL funny. great age. my son was convinced he was peter pan for a long time at that age. had to take peter pan everywhere with me when i went out.
hope he doesnt turn into a discus cop. LOL.

11-13-2002, 05:28 PM
Hey Cary love the pic, that smile on his face makes me feel all warm and fuzzy ;D ;D
Talk to you soon..................Randy

11-13-2002, 10:32 PM
Here is a pic of Joe(Enchanted discus) with a very happy Tyler and his new discus.............Randy

SLY
11-13-2002, 11:04 PM
now joe looks like santa in that pics..it's early christmas for tyler lol

Willie
11-13-2002, 11:58 PM
SLY: I have to assume you were not referring to the beard! :D :D :D

Willie

11-14-2002, 03:24 AM
LOL Dam santa You going to take that?

SLY
11-14-2002, 07:58 AM
SLY: I have to assume you were not referring to the beard! :D :D :D

Willie

no willie it's the look on tyler face..priceless ;D but ofcoz santa joe not only resemble santa claus in terms of his beard but as a whole he look exactly like santa. ;D ;D

Tyler
11-14-2002, 11:26 PM
Santa or no santa, it sure was a great gift! Great pic Randy.....and thanks again Joe!

Tyler

11-15-2002, 03:01 AM
Hi Tyler,

Joe's been trying like hell to post. but every time he sits down near his computer he cannot find his keyboard!

LOL guess am cut off this Xmas lol!

11-15-2002, 07:38 AM
Tyler, keep us posted on the new fish, I cant wait to see what he looks like in a few weeks.
I have tons of pics from last weekend. I think somewhere around 300. Maybe I can find the time this weekend to look through them and find a few more to post.
My only question is..Who is the little blue guy standing on Joe's left shoulder....HAHA
Randy

Ryan
11-15-2002, 09:02 AM
I always knew Tyler was little, but when he's standing next to people in pictures it really shows. LOL. Just kidding, Tyler. You'll grow one day... just need some water changes and maybe a good beefheart recipe. Where are our updates on the fish pics? I haven't seen your angels yet, either.

Ryan

Tyler
11-15-2002, 06:02 PM
lol Cary!

Randy,
Wow, you showed me some of the pics.....but 300, you must have been a busy guy! I just took a pic of the fish....but my comp. won't let me load it up, so ill try again later.......

Ryan,
Heres all i can think to say back....... :P . Oh, and about the angels...not sure what good pics will do until they get bigger. Right now i only get little blurs with washed out colors. They aren't shy or anything......just too fast! I'll keep trying.....

Tyler

11-20-2002, 09:33 PM
Tyler, How are the fins doing? Glad to hear you are happy with the fish. How about an update?

Willie, Nice Santa implications. cary is right--He's off the Christmas list and the elves aint' visiting him either!

;) Joe

Tyler
11-20-2002, 10:48 PM
Joe,
Great to here from you! The fish is doing awesome..... from what i can tell the fins are completely healed, and that small gash in his dorsal is gone now too. Hes eating and not very shy, just a great fish. I don't have the digi-cam right now (because i borrow it from my aunt) so i can't get a pic, but believe me i will be sure to do so next chance i get.
I can't thank you enough Joe!

Tyler