PDA

View Full Version : my poor discus

karinS
11-09-2002, 03:00 PM
hi everybody, here is my problem.I have a 55 gal. tankta that I treated three discus for flukes with prazi . and now one of my discus developed bug eyes and all blown up to and his stomach is twice the size than what it normal should be . what do you think it could be I'd tried epsom salt but that didn't work. please help me i dont what to next. All the best Karin :'(

Carol_Roberts
11-09-2002, 04:20 PM
Sounds like a bacterial infection Karin. I've read several recent posts where kanmycin (sp?) has been recommended.
Carol :heart1:

April
11-09-2002, 09:30 PM
HI Karin. sorry to hear. yes i had a few that did that. internal bacterial infection. kanaycn.but....mine never lasted very long. hope you can find it.and hope all is well.
how are your fish from here dong by the way?
how did the bd snakes turn out?
i got some adult ones and their quite nice. from there.
dont be a stranger.....keep in touch!!!

rfidiscus
11-09-2002, 11:44 PM
Karin, why did you think your discus had flukes? I have found that medications can really do a number on discus, as you've found out. After the epson salt treatment, I have found that a 50% water change with 80 deg. water and 1 cup of salt per 100gal of water will sometimes cause this bloat to clear. Kick the temp up to 90 and say some prayers cause this is usually fatal once they have gotten this far. Good luck!

Elaine_Bryant
11-10-2002, 02:00 AM
Karin, has he gotten any better???? Let us know, I know its one of your favorites. Elaine

brewmaster15
11-10-2002, 03:36 PM
Hi karin,
Odds are the fish in question had intestinal worms. The prazi killed the worms and there were so many that they caused a blockage. Bacterial infection will follow if the blockage remains.

For epsom. TRy a dose of 1 tablespoon /10 gal water. As Carol suggested... kanacyn/kanamycin is a good antibiotic to try.... also could try erythromycin (often sold AS MYACIN )

hth,
al