PDA

View Full Version : You ever want to strangle your discus?

roger
11-09-2002, 05:59 PM
Here it is the eve of the big move in my house. I got my fish 6 weeks ago and the qt time is over. Since this was my 1st set of discus I really didnt have a tank big enough to move them into. So a few weeks ago I got a pair of 55g tanks a new stand the hoods, filters heaters, etc ... Well everything is ready to go from lighting to plants to the water chemistry.

My fish have to know that that nice big empty tank next them is their new home, you would figure that they would be jumping out of the 29 straight into the 55. But no, I just caught the 2 largest flicking fins and shaking and cleaning off that old clay pot. Im so angry at them that I just want to cry .. with joy that is ..

The 2 felons are probably the largest fish in the tank one being probably just over the 4" mark and the other being just shy of 4". I seriously doubt anything will come of this ill timed union of theirs. Since from what most people say most pairs take 5 or 6 tries before they get serious about this.

My problem is that they are sitting in my prime qt tank which I was planning on using for breeding once I got all the fish in (Im planning an order from both Cary and Wattleys) over the next 3 months. If for some reason I do get wrigglers out of this batch then it only gives me about 6 weeks to get them onto solid food since I will be going out of town for a week. I guess if I get that lucky maybe Ill be able to talk Ryan into dropping by a few times while Im out to feed the fish and look after things.

My Xmas is turning out to be a very interesting one indeed. 2 orders of fish and possibley a breeding pair as well. :)

nalah
11-09-2002, 11:29 PM
when love beccons......
:heart1:
you have to admit,its pretty exciting. a breeding pair. lucky you.

roger
11-10-2002, 07:37 AM
Love my butt, this is just plain old lust :)

Though I dont know if I would really want to breed these two, I might get some funky looking kids. Ill see if I have a pic of the 2 that are going at it for everyone to look at.

Though I think worst case if I do actually manage to get a spawn out of them I know wthat there are a few people starting discus in the local area that would love to get a few cheap fish to start their tanks with. It's just scarry to spend a couple hundred bucks on your 1st set of fish only to have something go wrong.

roger
11-10-2002, 11:59 AM
Heres the smaller of the 2 fish .. say just shy of 4"

roger
11-10-2002, 12:01 PM
Heres the larger of the pair at just over 4" and not suprisingly the most aggressive fish in the tank. Probably the only fish that doesnt get picked on is the blue one .. go figure .. :)