PDA

View Full Version : go hunting for a day...

Denny
11-09-2002, 11:27 PM
i went hunting today and what do you suppose my fish had waiting for me when i got home?

tapeworms on the bottom of the tank! about six of the buggers 1-2" in length. looks like it's time for a treatment of prazi.

denny

Denny
11-09-2002, 11:38 PM
here is a pic. i am 99% sure they are tapeworms as they look identical to the ones al posted. let me know if you disagree

denny

hunterbeav
11-10-2002, 01:23 AM
i lightened your pic up hope you don't mind!!

daninthesand
11-10-2002, 01:48 AM
oh ya! tapeworms for sure!

Prazi to the rescue.

fcdiscus
11-10-2002, 01:58 AM
Yep- Sure looks like it to me. No big deal. Prazi will do the trick! Frank

11-10-2002, 02:12 AM
DJ,
Tell us what You feed? Just for the record.

Also how lond Did You have them?

Willie
11-10-2002, 10:33 AM
Well, if you got them, I probably got them. I mean the discus, of course. Maybe we can get together on the Prazi. I occasionaly find tapeworm segments during water changes.

What do people think about doing this as a preventative? Or should I only treat the ones which drop tapeworms?

Willie

April
11-10-2002, 12:33 PM
i had a fish pass a tapeworm yesteday also..and they have been a bitdark off and on. so prazzi it is today.
i do them when i get them..then maybe once a year.
dont usually get more ..then. these ones are about 4 inch so i'll prazzi them. ive never had problems using prazzi..

11-10-2002, 01:26 PM
Lotsa tapeworms lately. Lotsa bw's being fed, too. Hmmmm.... ??? Could it be?? Nooooo.... ;D ;D Well, maybe. ;D

slicksta
11-10-2002, 01:36 PM
maT

can always count on you...... :thumbsup:

11-10-2002, 02:00 PM
Mat,
Never misses the chance! LOL

Miles

11-10-2002, 02:55 PM
;D ;D ;D ;D :thumbsup:

11-10-2002, 04:41 PM
The chances of DJ's discus.

Being USA breed and fed Blkworms are at about 5% :P

And thats a fact!

HTH
CaryGld!

Willie
11-10-2002, 05:37 PM
My fish dropped tapeworms long before any blackworms were in their diet. Some of the adults have been on a beefheart/flake diet for over a year.

Willie

Denny
11-10-2002, 07:11 PM
mat

i believe these fish were fed mostly beefheart and flake foods before i got them. since then it has been flakes, frozen bloodworms and two weeks ago i got a batch of cbw. i am no expert on growth rates of tapeworms, but i don't think they could attain that size in 2 weeks. hmmmm, beefheart causes tapeworms :o- great new hypothesis.(only kidding)

cary,
the blue diamonds i got in sept. and the golds in october.all adults and yes, i think willie got them overseas, so your percentage is about 5% too high.these are not the fish i think you are eluding to although they had been in with one of them for a short time.

i am going to get some droncit from my future sis in law at the vet clinic tomorrow and give them the once over. what is the current best way to treat? one 2 hr bath w/o biofilter? also, does carbon remove it when treatment is done?

willie, let me know if and how you treat and we can compare results.

denny

fcdiscus
11-11-2002, 01:09 AM
Personally, I believe there is a better chance they come from frozen bloodworms. JMO. Frank

Denny
11-11-2002, 06:38 PM
yeah frank,

they could have come from about anywhere. critters in my tap water, bloodworms, other fish... how do they get transmitted? can they hang out in filter media or even on plants? or do the fish have to consume something containing them? one way or the other it will be interesting to treat them and see what happens. even though the fish may not agree it could be kinda fun.

denny

fcdiscus
11-11-2002, 07:15 PM
Denny, from what I know, they must be ingested. They cannot be transmitted between fish, and there must be an intermediate host. Frank