PDA

View Full Version : Zeolite?

Flexy
11-10-2002, 02:25 PM
Anyone here used product called zeolite(ammonia remover), comes in white little rocks, just like activated carbon except it is white. It's suppose to remove ammonia from the water. It can also be recharged by putting it in salt water for overnight. My qestion is, can it be left in salt water to recharge for 1 month or it must be removed from salt water after one night, put away and used when needed? I used that product from time to time, not all the time and I would like to leave it in salt water to recharge till I need to use it.

korbi_doc
11-10-2002, 02:36 PM
:bounce2: I used it when had to leave on vacation; would love to have info 'bout regenerating it. Some products do advise putting back & storing in salt water. Anyone?? Dottie ;D ;D

Flexy
11-10-2002, 02:39 PM
Recharging instruction:

681g of aquarium salt per 1 gallon of warm water. 4 hours to overnight.
I usually leave it for overnight.

oodi
11-10-2002, 02:59 PM
Hi Flexy,

We have used Amm-Rid, which sounds exactly like Zeolite. However, the Amm-Rid doesn't have any instructions for recharging... I wonder if the salt water method would work on it, as well. Anyone know?
Judi
:)

korbi_doc
11-10-2002, 04:19 PM
:bounce2: that's great Flexy, then after recharge, what do you store it in 'til next use? If it's the same as Aq. Pharm. Nitra-Zorb pillows, that's rechargeable & per instructions stored in the salt water.
Judi I think the Nitro-Zorb is probably the same thing as Ammo-rid, should work the same way. Dottie ;D ;D ;D

Flexy
11-10-2002, 05:05 PM
Well, that's the question I want it to be answered as well. Right now it's inside salt solution. I don't know if I should take, dry it and keep till use or keep in salt till needed(1month-3month). I need answers...

Flexy
11-10-2002, 06:26 PM
Zeolite and Nitra-zorb can be recharged. But how do we stored them after recharge??????? water or just leave in salt???? hmmm???? :o

Smokey
11-10-2002, 08:54 PM
Zeolite - is to be recharged in a high salt solution; replace the salt solution regullary .. It can be stored in a clean salt solution indefiently.

If my memerory serves me correctly.. Zeolite is a volcanic product, from Hawaii (?). There are different grades, and each has different characterics/ absorbation qualities.

Back in the '90's, I purchased 100 pounds of the stuff, and it proved to be quite effective. However, you must constantly recharge the zeolite, or it can leach the ammonia back into the water.

Smokey

rfidiscus
11-10-2002, 11:24 PM
I was told by our suppllier that it can be stored in the salt recharging solution until it is used. This is what we did with it and it seemed to work great. I no longer use it... Amquel/bio filtration and waterchanges + low pH... no ammonia