PDA

View Full Version : Interesting site

Steve_Warner
11-10-2002, 10:34 PM
Hi all,
I found this site and thought I'd pass it on. I'm thinking about buying this CD they have for sale.

http://www.amazonian-fish.co.uk/indexc3b0.html

Steve

Ralph
11-11-2002, 09:07 AM
I liked this site, kind of a teaser though. Do they send the CD to the US? If you get a copy, email me, I'm curious on how much extra info it has.
Their example of a discus though was probably the ugliest I have ever seen.

Smokey
11-11-2002, 11:56 AM
Thanks Steve;
Very interesting site.

The informatin is very relivant to aquarium water/discus raising/breeding.

Smokey

BLUEKNIGHT
11-11-2002, 02:35 PM
I will have to agree with ralph on the example of discus. If someone new to discus saw it they will never want to keep them.

Top_Bhoy
11-11-2002, 03:33 PM
Don't think any of us would look to good having been pumped full of taxidermists chemical and preservatists ;D

To me, the important thing that this site shows up is the vast differences in the water chemistry between the two stretches of water....important perhaps for those who keep wilds???

Chris

Ralph
11-11-2002, 03:59 PM
That poor guy looked like he had been dragged behind a truck.
Absolutely Chris, there is not enough info on the wide variety of water conditions that discus inhabit, everything from temps to hardness, and about breeding habits, predators, diseases, etc., even the origins of the various types of discus. We have completely ignored the massive seasonal fluctuations of their habitat. And how does all that affect the domestic breeds? We tend to treat discus as a homogeneous group in which all members have the same requirements, even when there is obvious evidence to the contrary.

ronrca
11-12-2002, 03:35 PM
That is some cool site! Very interesting especially about the waters. However, I did not find any discus on the site. Are there any?

Top_Bhoy
11-12-2002, 06:19 PM
go here. Its the one and only pic I could find.

http://www.amazonian-fish.co.uk/indexc3b0.html

It shows a strain suitable for beginners...not affected by ph or hardness :) of the water quality

Top_Bhoy

ronrca
11-12-2002, 07:33 PM
Hmmm! Just get the main page again. I must be webpage challenaged! >:(

Ralph
11-12-2002, 07:49 PM
Hit "The Fish" on the left index, then hit "Perciforms" on the left index, scroll to the bottom of the page, and be prepared for one sad looking discus.

ronrca
11-13-2002, 11:03 AM
Thanks Ralph! I guess I should scroll down more often! Btw, what is with the name "Perciforms" and how does it relate to discus? O, I c! Perches and cichlids! Must be the family name! I'll have to research the scientific names a little I guess! :P

The discus sure does look wild caught! Poor thing! Now I want to move down to the amazon, build a fishroom and house, and live there. Could you imagine the size of tank you could make in the river? I would then post signs everywhere "Discus only"! :D