PDA

View Full Version : TIM THIMIOS AND U. S. DISCUS

usdiscus
11-11-2002, 12:27 AM
HI, EVERYONE, I AM NEW TO THIS SITE AND JUST WANTED TO GIVE EVERYONE A LITTLE BACKGROUND OF MY EXPERIENCE. IN THE LATE 60S( NO NOT 1860) I WAS ALREADY HOOKED ON TROPICAL FISH FOR 12 YEARS. I BECAME A DISCUS NUT SOON AFTER THAT, LATER ON BECOMING PRESIDENT OF SEVERAL MIDWEST CLUBS AND LEARNING ABOUT THE RATHER DULL LOOKING DISCUS FISH. I BECAME AQUAINTED WITH A MAN BY THE NAME OF DICK LOCKE IN ILLINOIS WHO HAD SOME BLACK ANGELS THAT I WANTED. UPON ARRIVING AT HIS HOUSE I NOTICED HE WAS TAKING OUT THESE FISH THAT WERE THE SIZE OF DINNER PLATES, DARK COLORED, DULL LOOKING, FLAT AS A BOARD
HE SAID THEY WERE DISCUS AND HE HAD GOTTEN THESE FISH FROM A GUY I NEVER HEARD OF BY THE NAME OF JACK WATTLEY. HE WENT TO S. AMERICA AND WOULD SEND DICK THESE FISH TO TRY AND LEARN ABOUT THEM AND MAYBE EVEN BREED THEM. I WAS CURIOUS BUT NOTICED THAT WHEN THEY WERE RELEASED INTO THE 100 GAL. TANKS DICK HAD SET UP FOR THEM, THEY SCATTERED IN EVERY DIRECTION...UP, DOWN, SIDEWAYS, PLAYED DEAD, SEVERAL SMASHING SO HARD AGAINST THE GLASS THAT THEY DIED RIGHT AWAY. I MADE A MENTAL NOTE TO MYSELF TO SKIP THIS FISH....MORE TO FOLLOW

fcdiscus
11-11-2002, 01:20 AM
What is this Tim, the installmentplan? ;D Frank

usdiscus
11-11-2002, 03:54 PM
;Dok..ok..had to feed my guys. Anyways, I continued to help my new friend with discus that Wattley was sending him. learning first how to kill them( all browns),then how to feed them, water quality, dealing with sick fish and after 6 years learning how to spawn them. I then became known in Chicago as a discus guy with some experience behind him
As mated pairs would develope, I would keep the babies and sell pairs for about 150.00. I always had luck with getting them to spawn, so i wanted others to share the experience without them taking out a second loan on the house. I still use that same idea. Through the years I have tried just about everything and 25 years later am still learning, but while we have our own pairs, I tend now to use my time getting fish from breeders who would not normally sell to USA , because they get more from Asia and europeian buyers. Our fish speak for themselves, we do not use other pix of fish, the pix is what your getting, not what someone else has. We have a web site at www.usdiscus.com, but its a work in progress. I am known as" usbonsai" on aquabid Thanks and tell Frank to quit picking on me ;D

11-24-2002, 01:48 PM
i've bought a few fish from Tim and could not be happier with any of them! I think it's best if you can go there to pick them out yourself, as with any breeder...lol Tim...i might have to come see you again in the near future.
brad