PDA

View Full Version : Jumping out of tank !!

saints27
11-11-2002, 04:17 AM
Has any one had any experiences with discus jumping out of their tank?
The reason I ask is I came home today after being out for about an hour and found one of my breeders on the floor , I picked him up and he was dry and hard ,He didnt move when I held him ,I put him back in the tank and held his mouth in front of the power head to give him some air , his gills started to move which I thought was a sign of hope.
After giving him air for about 30 seconds I let him go and he flapped his fins for a couple of seconds then dropped to the floor ,
I picked him up again and held him in front of the air for about 3 minutes this time and his gills were moving a bit better.
To cut a long story short he is now sitting on the bottom of the tank breathing everytime i go near the tank he lifts himself off the bottom and moves around for a few seconds then drops again.
Has any one recovered a fish from this scenario ?
Im hoping he will be ok
The ironic part is the female in the tank is doing dummy runs up the cone getting ready to spawn.

Jamie

Rod
11-11-2002, 04:45 AM
Sounds like the discus has a good chance of recovery Jamie. Keep a close eye on any infections that might occur due to the injuries.

I've had a couple jump out over time, unfortunetly it was always too late for me to save them. :(

saints27
11-11-2002, 06:11 AM
Thanks Rod
he is still laying around breathing ,The female wants to spawn and keeps trying to lift him up then she gets upset with him and pushes him around.
Ill keep my eyes open

Jamie

DarkDiscus
11-11-2002, 09:16 AM
Jamie,

If you have a Q-tank, this would be a good time to put it into use. I had a fish once jump out and recover, but it was a long, tough process. He lost most of his fins due to infection and it took 3-4 months before he was like he was prior to the leap...

John

Carol_Roberts
11-11-2002, 01:36 PM
Good advice, John.
I've revived Koi. They flop around a lot and damage themselves in the struggle to find water. Watch out for infections and fungus on the side laying on the ground. I'd put salt and furan 2 in the Q- tank immediately.

Carol :heart1:

ak
11-11-2002, 01:59 PM
I have revived a Jack Dempsey under similar circumstances. Fish will lose fins and appear very sick. Other fish will cause stress. Must have a quarantine tank. Took me a good 4 weeks before releasing fish back into main tank.

DarkDiscus
11-11-2002, 02:54 PM
The salt is really key here. (Of course all of us discus folk tend to be salt users...) But it will help not only ward off the fungus, but will also help reduce the stress and help respiration. Which the poor guy sorely needs right about now!

Hopefully he has learned his lesson and will stop taking flying leaps!

Good luck!

John

saints27
11-11-2002, 06:11 PM
Thanks John for the advice , One problem is that they were in one of the QT tanks when this happened ,they came in from Singapore and Ive had them for 3 weeks now .
They have spawned once before in there and being in QT i didnt worry to much about the eggs.
The other pair that are in the QT next to them (came from same source) have 1 day old free swimmers as of this morning , If these babies have survived is that a good indication that there is no disease in the tank????

Jamie

saints27
11-11-2002, 06:18 PM
By the way the female spawned in the tank that he jumped out of .
I added Melafix to the tank yesterday when I put him back in ,I know a lot of people think it is useless but I find it works ok reduces stress and repairs damaged fins .
Im just going to have to leave him in the QT tank with the female as the QT room is full so is the hospital room and I dont want to move one of the out into the fish room until im sure they are clean .
Any suggestions with regards to the babies surviving thus being disease free????
Jamie

11-12-2002, 04:22 AM
I've has babies go black and die with stress, the parents had a plague or bug or whatever..but did'nt show symptoms