PDA

View Full Version : What is your Dream ? or What is your wish ?

shootingstar
11-11-2002, 10:14 AM
Good morning to all !

I am afraid to tell my significant other about my dream about discus.....if you all know what I mean......will cost you a lot of explaination, a lot of rose and a lot of dinners....

here it goes: I was seating, well comfortably, in a lazyboy in front of my 240 gallons tank, all blacks, black background, black stand, and black canopy with light on top.....the water is so clear, the room is dark and peacefully......keep starring at the tank, here come hundred of small stars join together become one big star, appear to be 7 or 8 inches, it's a SHOOTINGSTAR, here come another one, another one and another one......I can count there is 20 of them moving around the sky.....oh my god ! it's so beautiful.....where is my camera ?......I am breathless.......and then all of sudden.....my alarm clock....oh no I got to get up to work.

well guy, I am not good in writing, it's not so bad don't you think........some day I will have my dream come true.

Now let the fun begin......because it's your turn.

markandhisdiscus
07-31-2010, 03:28 PM
old thread i know ( been going throu all the old pages) my discus dream is to get a 2nd group, get a breeding pair or 2 from them , then get a few years breeding experience and ultimately in say 10 years time to become the breeder/importer of the best quality discus in the uk and have discus to be my full time job that pays the bills.

hey . aim high i say

birdog
07-31-2010, 04:54 PM
Wow! that's old.

markandhisdiscus
07-31-2010, 04:58 PM
yeah i know i was just going through the older posts

Jennie
07-31-2010, 06:07 PM
his dream must not have come through for him, he hasn't been on forum in years.

William Palumbo
07-31-2010, 06:21 PM
Hopefully he grew a "set" and he can now enjoy his hobby/passion, without guilt or compromise...Bill

markandhisdiscus
07-31-2010, 06:28 PM
his dream may not have come through but hopefully i can make mine a reality

William Palumbo
07-31-2010, 06:33 PM
his dream may not have come through but hopefully i can make mine a reality

Work hard and be committed to it, and don't let anyone tell you that you can't do it, and you'll succeed...Bill

markandhisdiscus
07-31-2010, 06:36 PM
thanks bill . i will work hard , be patient and be fully commited. i still have much to learn , hence why i am talking in terms of years , but i am 100% commited and determined that i will make this dream a reality.

William Palumbo
07-31-2010, 06:39 PM
thanks . i will work hard , be patient and be fully commited. i still have much to learn , hence why i am talking in terms of years , but i am 100% commited and determined that i will make this dream a reality.

Then don't let ANYONE stand in your way. All the best...Bill

DerekFF
07-31-2010, 06:44 PM
Hopefully he grew a "set" and he can now enjoy his hobby/passion, without guilt or compromise...Bill
Haha bill. Good call. I just like promoting animals that want to do the "boom boom" I just want to have my fish room to be filled with all sorts of breeding fish and I can sell them off (not for large profit really) to people.

markandhisdiscus
07-31-2010, 06:47 PM
they wont bill. my girlfriend is fully supportive of my plan . i have only been keeping discus for about 2 months. so for now all i am doing is reading , learning , and reading some more . then i will start gaining practical experience with breeding and raising fry , then growing out the juveniles and build things up from there.

birdog
08-01-2010, 02:25 AM

A little harsh... no? LOL

CSC2334
08-01-2010, 08:55 AM
... I just want to have my fish room to be filled with all sorts of breeding fish and I can sell them off (not for large profit really) to people.

You got my blessing! When you are successful somedays, don't forget to give me below retail deals of your fish. :D

William Palumbo
08-01-2010, 12:34 PM
A little harsh... no? LOL

Hey David, you know me. That was actually a polite statement!...LOL... It's a harsh world brother. Life"s much too short to live by others rules. If it's making you happy, and you're not hurting anyone doing it, God bless...I always tell the wives/ GF's that come into my fishroom that there are worse things their husband/man could be spending his money on!...Bill

Willie
08-01-2010, 12:47 PM
Imagine instead of dreaming it, you actually set the dream as an objective and figure out all the things you would need to do to make it happen! I notice that is Palumbo's fishroom, where you can see steady improvement.

I wrote out my objectives for keeping discus a few years ago. I know how many pairs I want, I know what types I like, I know whether to focus on selling spawns vs showing fish. Once that got written down, every great deal I saw on the Web became simple to understand. Does it meet the objective or not?

Since then, my discus collection has gotten steadily better. I have better pairs, more spawns, better fish in my growouts and better fish in my show tanks. So dreaming is fine, just as long as you do something about it.

Willie

Dutch dude
08-01-2010, 01:19 PM
Mark,.... a lot of us dream to make their job out of their hobby. The issues is to find a new hobby.

Breeding discus is hard work and taking care of costomers even harder. Sometimes you sell fish to people and already know they won't make it. You might know I had 3 pairs out of 6 fish I bought, not enough space for breeding 3 pairs so I sold 2 pairs. One pair died within 5 months. I did my very best to find a better skilled and very expirienced discus keeper for the second pair. I found someone that was breeding discus for abouth 5 years, knowledged and expirienced. I sold him the fish for cheap and I was happy they ended up in good hands. Abouth 1/2 a year later the fish were for sale for double the price! Also,....some costomers can be a real pita! Culling is no fun at all but need to be done. Breeding takes up a lot of time and provit is low unless you do it on a large scale. You have to establish a reputation as well.

Best advice I can give you is to first breed 1 pair of discus for fun so you learn to discover the drawbacks as well.

markandhisdiscus
08-01-2010, 06:19 PM
hey ruurd

yes im aware of how hard it will be , but i have to at least try it . the plan was always to try and get a pair from my next group and then breed them and raise the fry . then keep doing this for a few years until i have it down to a fine art ,at which point i would want to look into becoming a full time importer/supplier .

Jennie
08-01-2010, 06:24 PM
I'm with you. I figured down the road if any of my fish pair off I might give it a try, only one pair at time and no more. I like coming home from work and relaxing by looking at my fish. I figured for what I've shelled out for what I have now, it would take a few batches just to recoup that. I'm slowly meeting more discus people in colorado, but the majority of people here have no idea what discus fish are.

Mark,.... a lot of us dream to make their job out of their hobby. The issues is to find a new hobby.

Breeding discus is hard work and taking care of costomers even harder. Sometimes you sell fish to people and already know they won't make it. You might know I had 3 pairs out of 6 fish I bought, not enough space for breeding 3 pairs so I sold 2 pairs. One pair died within 5 months. I did my very best to find a better skilled and very expirienced discus keeper for the second pair. I found someone that was breeding discus for abouth 5 years, knowledged and expirienced. I sold him the fish for cheap and I was happy they ended up in good hands. Abouth 1/2 a year later the fish were for sale for double the price! Also,....some costomers can be a real pita! Culling is no fun at all but need to be done. Breeding takes up a lot of time and provit is low unless you do it on a large scale. You have to establish a reputation as well.

Best advice I can give you is to first breed 1 pair of discus for fun so you learn to discover the drawbacks as well.

Dutch dude
08-01-2010, 06:36 PM
You could raise a couple of batches of fry and approach it as a hobby. When you do I suggest to write down the time and the expenses you make and what has been earned back. After that you can make a better dicision.

Jennie
08-01-2010, 06:49 PM
U bet I will. I have been searching library/old post daily for different things and one today I couldn't find was how to cull fish.

You could raise a couple of batches of fry and approach it as a hobby. When you do I suggest to write down the time and the expenses you make and what has been earned back. After that you can make a better dicision.

Jennie
08-01-2010, 06:53 PM
as matter of fact I would be happy if the breeding just covered my hobby expenses which includes keeping my currents happy and spoiled!

U bet I will. I have been searching library/old post daily for different things and one today I couldn't find was how to cull fish.

markandhisdiscus
08-01-2010, 06:54 PM
im probably looking at a good 6 months or more until i can get the group i want along with extra tanks for pairs , growing out young etc . so plenty of time for reading and research until then .

Dutch dude
08-01-2010, 06:56 PM
@Discuslover65

Raising a batch of fry is realy fun. You can see the small wigglers defelop into 3 inch fish in 3 months time. You will also gain in knowledge and learn to understand better what a discus needs. Culling and selling were the hardest things for me. I raised 3 batches in a row and that wasn't fun any more. Stress if I would be able to sell all the fry in time (lack on space but luckily I managed to sell all the fry in a reasonable time). Lots of waterchanges. Hatching bbs. It kept me bussy every evening and I had hardly time to relax. After I sold the last fish it felt like a relive. When I calculated all the expenses and what I earned by selling fry it came down to a provit of $300,-. Thats not much for 3-4 hours a day work for a period of 5 months. I decided to never repeat this again. I would like to raise 1 or 2 batches a year just for fun and raise only the best 20 out of a batch and only sell to people that I consider to be skilled enough to raise them. I also like to keep this as a hobby. :)

Dutch dude
08-01-2010, 07:10 PM
There are several way's off culling fish but I have not found one that doesn't give a bad feeling. The larger they become the harder it gets to cull them. Some drop them in a bucket with cold water, some freeze them to death and some snap the heads. I can assure you,..it is no fun.

If you sell your fish by marketplace or aquabid you should be able to sell them within a reasonable time. The better the qualety the faster they sell. A low price also helps. Providing the costomers with all the info they need also helps selling. I also tried to promote keeping 6 or more fish and gave an extra discount (buy 6 and you will pay 5). This all lead to still make $300,- provit but if you calculate it down there are much better way's of earning money. The bbs was the largest expense. Baby discus needs A LOT of bbs.

Jennie
08-01-2010, 07:13 PM
I have a few tanks but can pick up more with no problem off craigslist.

There are several way's off culling fish but I have not found one that doesn't give a bad feeling. The larger they become the harder it gets to cull them. Some drop them in a bucket with cold water, some freeze them to death and some snap the heads. I can assure you,..it is no fun.

If you sell your fish by marketplace or aquabid you should be able to sell them within a reasonable time. The better the qualety the faster they sell. A low price also helps. Providing the costomers with all the info they need also helps selling. I also tried to promote keeping 6 or more fish and gave an extra discount (buy 6 and you will pay 5). This all lead to still make $300,- provit but if you calculate it down there are much better way's of earning money. The bbs was the largest expense. Baby discus needs A LOT of bbs.

Dutch dude
08-01-2010, 07:15 PM
Sounds good Mark. Keep your feet on the ground buddy :)

Dutch dude
08-01-2010, 07:25 PM
Discuslover65,.....have you checked the breeding section? Maybe a good idea to make a post abouth your plans. :)

Jennie
08-01-2010, 07:50 PM
well my plans aren't for another year. I still have allot to learn yet. But when time comes, I'll be seeking help from the experts here.

Discuslover65,.....have you checked the breeding section? Maybe a good idea to make a post abouth your plans. :)

birdog
08-02-2010, 12:51 AM
Hey David, you know me. That was actually a polite statement!...LOL... It's a harsh world brother. Life"s much too short to live by others rules. If it's making you happy, and you're not hurting anyone doing it, God bless...I always tell the wives/ GF's that come into my fishroom that there are worse things their husband/man could be spending his money on!...Bill

Bill, you should record an audio book so I can give to my wife, lol.

David

William Palumbo
08-02-2010, 12:57 AM
Bill, you should record an audio book so I can give to my wife, lol.

David

Forget that idea David...Us Italians don't like to be caught on tape!...LOL...Bill

Dutch dude
08-02-2010, 04:30 AM
well my plans aren't for another year. I still have allot to learn yet. But when time comes, I'll be seeking help from the experts here.
Sounds like a good plan discuslover65! Those were very helpful to me as well particulary my (internet) buddy Larry Waybright and also Martha Morris and Bill.

Hey Bill,....I did not know you were Italian. How are those F1 doing by the way?

birdog
08-02-2010, 11:48 PM
Forget that idea David...Us Italians don't like to be caught on tape!...LOL...Bill

LMAO

Ibenu
08-03-2010, 01:49 AM
seems a good enough place to write this...

I dream (while I sleep) That discus are not restricted to my tanks, rather they float about in the air around my house in big shoals....

Im sure Im not the only one who's had this dream... (I hope Im not any more discus crazy than the lot of you)

Lisa

April
08-03-2010, 02:39 AM
oh boy ...ibenu..your doomed..once the discus in the air dreams come..its over. lol. yes..ive heard alot of people have the same dreams..including me..
my dream..is to be completely eccentric..and live in wall to wall tanks...all big..beautiful discus..in groups of colours. one fish two fish..red fish blue fish..
dreaming to be a successful discus breeder and get rich..isnt realistic. the breeder part..yes..the rich part..no. as the old saying goes..if you want to be rich selling fish..you gotta start rich. and my add on..if you do....you ill no longer be rich. lol.
gotta do it for the love..or..it becomes a chore.
ill check up on this thread in 10 years..see if your dream happened. hope it does.

DiscusLoverJeff
08-03-2010, 12:09 PM
My Dream,

To hand build a 1000+ gallon tank that I can replicate parts of their original home in the Amazon. Load this with 30 + wilds from Hans. I would also like to see them breed directly in this "wild" setting and watch the natural development of Discus. I would find a local Brazillian to harvest the wood and plants from the Amazon.

Ok, it is a dream that could one day turn reality if I can barter with someone to help build this size tank.

DiscusLoverJeff

birdog
08-03-2010, 12:51 PM
oh boy ...ibenu..your doomed..once the discus in the air dreams come..its over. lol. yes..ive heard alot of people have the same dreams..including me..
my dream..is to be completely eccentric..and live in wall to wall tanks...all big..beautiful discus..in groups of colours. one fish two fish..red fish blue fish..
dreaming to be a successful discus breeder and get rich..isnt realistic. the breeder part..yes..the rich part..no. as the old saying goes..if you want to be rich selling fish..you gotta start rich. and my add on..if you do....you ill no longer be rich. lol.
gotta do it for the love..or..it becomes a chore.
ill check up on this thread in 10 years..see if your dream happened. hope it does.

Haha, "eccentric" is for people in the upper echelon, there is a different word to use for people of a certain income bracket, starts with a "c".
Or as I like to say.. we are just nuts, cooku for coco puffs.

David