PDA

View Full Version : How old till ready for planted tank

regal
11-11-2002, 05:52 PM
If I buy some 2" discus how long will I need to raise these in a bare bottom tank till they are ready for my planted community tank?

Ralph
11-11-2002, 06:54 PM
I assume that you are talking about their growth.
There doesn't seem to be an agreement as to when discus stop growing, some people say never, they just slow down. Generally though people say that most of the growth takes place during their first year. How much they grow and when has to do with the care they receive (WCs, water quality, food, temp, sickness, etc.) and where you bought them (their genetics).

ronrca
11-12-2002, 11:09 AM
Discus in a planted community tank I would recommend the size of at least 3" if not bigger. Why? First, a 2" discus in a planted tank usually will not get the same amount and quality of food (beefheart, live foods) as in a bb because of polluting cause by these foods. Second, the water change frequency and amount is less. For example in a bb you would do lets say 50%+ daily which can be done in a planted tank but usually not. Like Ralph mentions, discus will grow most in their first year. It is not to say that the discus will not grow. I have had discus grow from 2" to 6" but it took a long time (3 years or so and only 2 out of 6).

Therefore, given the above factors, the larger the discus, the better. However, if growth is not that important to you, by all means, you can put them in anytime. ;) jmo!

regal
11-12-2002, 08:57 PM
thanks ronrca, I will probably buy 2 inchers and raise in a BB tank till they reach a three inch size. Or I could go ahead and buy 3 inchers, how long would it take for an average discus to grow from 2 inches to 3?

ronrca
11-13-2002, 12:05 PM
Depends on a few factors! Since you have a bb, this will be quite easy.

First of all, very clean water meaning many water changes (low nitrates)! This will depend on your fish load. Usually 50% daily is enough but you can go up to 90%. Water changes also depend on the amount of feeding which brings us to the second point, excellant food quality. Beefheart is at the top of the list. I only feed beef heart once a day before the water change because it fouls the water quickly. WC and feeding will depend on your schedule.

Btw, do you age your water?

Ideally, a 2" discus will grow to 3" in about a month I beleive under ideal conditions (maybe quicker which may depend on the discus itself, environment factors, stress, etc)

Smokey
11-13-2002, 01:02 PM
Ron; I know you are at work; is this what you get paid to do-- give advice(excellant as it is) on company time.L O L Is there any vacancies???

Regal - discus are so much easyer to observe in a bb tank. at a glance you can tell how well they are doing; and vise-versa- the discus can find "you" when they want to be fed.
For example-- right now mine are giving the evil eye --- food - food - we- want- food-- i am able to throughly look each discus over for any abnormalities or signs of disease. They will stay there.. well till I feed them.. ok. time to feed them.

see ya

Smokey

ronrca
11-13-2002, 03:40 PM
Good point! Forgot about that one! Thanks Smokey!
Shhhh! Yes Im at work :-[! For the time being, we are not very busy at work and instead of looking like we not doing anything, which would upset any boss, we are 'working'! Of course, once we get busy which will be soon again, I probably will not be on as much but it is easy for me to get to simply to read whats going on. ;D

O, btw! Its lunch now! :D