PDA

View Full Version : how to begin feeding California Blkworms

Francisco_Borrero
11-12-2002, 09:51 AM
Hi all:
I just placed my first order of worms. I intend to feed 17 wild adult discus, and probably will throw some to my 7 wild altum angels. I have the following questions:

1- A few people have indicated they receive the worms, put them in "keepers" in the fridge, and hold them for a week doing water changes, prior to feeding for the first time. What is the purpose of this "purging"? Purging food and feces from the worms? Purging something else ? (potential pathogens?)
Does everybody do this "purging"?, or do some of you receive the worms and start feeding after a rinse ?
I actually asked Dan about the purging and he indicated not knowing why people did this, nor found it necessary in his mind.

2) How much to feed at one time ? (I am planning of using the worms as only one of the two daily feedings my discus receive, and probably no more than every other day). The reason for planning on every other day is that I just know that I cannot afford to purchase more than 1 pound once per month, and I bet 1 pound will not last 1 month using everyday.

3) How long can I expect 1 pound of worms to last feeding 17 adult discus on one of their two daily feedings ?

Please comment on this. The worms should be arriving in the mail tomorrow, and I already have rinse water cooling in my new, dedicated small fridge. BTW, I took advantage of a deal Dan is running for DAAH: 1 1/2 pounds for the price of 1 pound during this month. Sounded very good. I also ordered keepers 'cause they just seem the easiest way to keep them and rinse them daily.
Thanks & cheers, Francisco.

DarkDiscus
11-12-2002, 10:06 AM
Francisco,

I have 9 discus and my 1 lb lasts 5-6 weeks with generous feedings once daily.

I do not purge the worms but simply rinse them well on arrival and start feeding immediately.

I use the keepers and they work very nicely. It is much easier to rinse the worms and let the water pour out the bottom.

One HUGE tip: rinse and refridgerate the worms ASAP upon arrival.. THe difference between worms that get taken care of at 10AM as opposed to those that wait until after work is major. The worms are more active and live longer.

John

DarkDiscus
11-12-2002, 10:07 AM
Francisco,

I forgot to mention that I give the fish enough that it takes them 10 minutes to completely clean the worms up.

It's usually a good sized pinch.

John

Francisco_Borrero
11-12-2002, 10:57 AM
Thank you John:
I will do as you suggested. I guess I will start feeding once daily this time, as I have 1 1/2 pound coming. From then on it will be 1 pound/month but I will already be a pro at measuring portions and making them last. I sure don't want my fish to turn their noses at other foods.
Thanks also for the tip about receiving/rinsing/refrigerating as soon as they come. Unfortunately, I don't get home until late pm so we will see.
Cheers, Francisco.
P.S. I look forward to seeing you in two weeks !!

DarkDiscus
11-12-2002, 11:08 AM
Francisco,

It will be good to see you again as well.

As for feeding the worms, I made them my last feeding of the day. If the fish know that, they will eat whatever I give them in the morning and afternoon. But if I even try to think of skimping on the blackworms after dinner, they get very cranky!

John

Carol_Roberts
11-13-2002, 01:44 AM
Hi Francisco:
This is two pounds of worms. They arrived today. I fill this container and several 1/2 gallon milk jugs with water the night before and leave chilling in the fridge. (I don't have chlorine in my water)

The worms are delivered to my office in the early afternoon. I take them right home, open the bag and pour them into the plastic box. I stir them around in the water and drain, add more water, stir (gently) and drain. The water is brownish. It usually takes 3 or 4 good rinses, then I pop them into the fridge. I rinse them twice a day for the first week.
Carol :heart1:

Carol_Roberts
11-13-2002, 01:48 AM
I find it's best to have a thin layer of worms - say an inch or so. I've been covering the worms with an inch of water. Don't crowd the worms they suffocate. As the worms are used up I put them in the blue containers which are much smaller than this big plastic box.

citizenal
11-13-2002, 02:42 AM
One quick question.. Can you feed black worms to salt water fish? Has anyone tried to feed their salt water fish black worms? Thanks AL

11-13-2002, 05:09 AM
Great idea Carol.... I received double the usual amount last friday (Dan forgot how to count.. lol) and was having a hard time keeping them clean using 4 keepers. I will definitely use your tupperware idea until I get them down to a comfortable amount.

Francisco... as far as purging.. I too rinse and feed upon arrival the first day. Between 12 discus I usually go through a pound a month feeding once a day (evenings) filling the 2 cones 1/2 full (for 10 discus) and 1 cone 1/2 full for my "Spawnless" Breeders... I feel the key to keeping the CBW's vibrantly healthy is the same as the Discus... W/C W/C W/C....

jme
Julz

Oh and if it happens that I do not get to the worms as soon as they arrive, I just have my kids put the box in the fridge until I get home. They usually are OK until then.

April
11-13-2002, 06:09 AM
dont feed too many at the first few feedings . they go nuts on them and could over eat. after awhile they dont pig out as bad.
i go through tons...i have about 45 fish and i use a pound a week. with flake and a bit of beefheart inbetween.
aprils word of advice and the family will love you for it. lol
get a fork to serve with. easy to catch them and easy to choose a small amount. just have to keep a special fork for your worms. i had to go buy a whole new set of silverware as my kids were concerned which fork i used. lol.
now their colour coded.

Francisco_Borrero
11-13-2002, 09:47 AM
Thank you, John, Carol, Julz, April. I look forward to receiving the first batch today !

Do you all (as Julz does) use the feeder little cones for your blackworms? Or do you just drop them in the barebottom tank ? The resason I ask is that I have cones, and I used to use them for bloodworms, but find that in an orgy tank there is always one or two bully fish you guard and defend the cone and let no other fish approach/feed. Sometimes the bullys don't even eat much for being busy being greety.

Thanks again. Cheers, Francisco.

11-13-2002, 10:23 AM
Francisco...

That is the very reason why I have 2 on my 55. To pacify the bullies. I don't get too much of that now tho. I also use the larger ones, as the smaller just didn't house enough worms.

Anyone else?

Julz

DarkDiscus
11-13-2002, 12:02 PM
Francisco -

I just drop them in the tank. They disperse along the bottom and the fish get to "hunt" them. I like the hunting behaviour. If I had gravel I'd use a worm feeder.

John

11-13-2002, 12:05 PM
Cary has told me to be very cautious when you start feeding the worms, as the fish will easily overeat because they like them so much and can kill themselves. Talk to someone experienced to see how much to start feeding...

Brad

Carol_Roberts
11-13-2002, 08:20 PM
Lol, I use disposable plastic forks. I fill a little clear plastic medicine cup (like for nyquel) with worms and go tank to tank forking them in. In the juvie tanks I feed on both ends. Never used a feeder. The worms disperse at first, but gather into a ball after several minutes in a 29 gallon. Lots of rinsing is the key to healthy worms.

Francisco_Borrero
11-13-2002, 09:11 PM
Thanks everybody again.
The 1 1/2 pound was waiting for me at home. That's a big wad of worms !!! They looked very healthy even though they did wait a bit for me. I purchased 5 keepers buy don't know if that is enough. I guess I will be changing their water a lot. How many keepers have you found provides a good density to keep the worms healthy ?
The fish loved them ! I just dropped them in and the fish went crazy. Mines eat well but I have never seen such eagerness. Red wigglers are a favorite but don't come close to elicit such a response, including bullying by the mean ones and so forth. There was a lot of activity for a few minutes until they were all gone.
I wonder if CBW may spice up marriages so well also. Something to think about. My wife will likely not be interested in getting anywhere close to those worms. She has not seen them yet, but fortunately they are not in the family fridge.
I still have to get better at knowing how much to feed. I think tonight I was a little on the light side, but I'll rather sin of not enough, than of too much. I guess I will also find out how long they last for me.
Thanks again, Francisco.

Carol_Roberts
11-13-2002, 09:29 PM
I figure 1/4 lb for each blue keeper.

mench
11-25-2002, 02:01 PM
I suck up my worms in a baster,then it is easy to go trom tank to tank without dropping any.

Mench

DarkDiscus
11-25-2002, 02:21 PM
Ron,

I like the finger scooping method. It works well and gives me plenty of control over how many worms they get.

John

PS. It's sort of a gross kind of fun playing with worms with your fingers as well!

fcdiscus
11-25-2002, 07:47 PM
Yeah John, ever try to see how far up your wrist and arm they can squirm. ;D Frank

DarkDiscus
11-26-2002, 01:03 PM
Frank,

No, but my niece screams and throws them up in the air if I let her touch them...

::)

John

RichieE
12-02-2002, 01:29 PM
Anyone touching those worms should be aware there are some leaches in there. Wash and inspect your hands. Rich

DarkDiscus
12-02-2002, 05:35 PM
Rich,

There definitely are leeches, but I was informed that they are specialized leeches which aren't interested in humans, only worms...

PS. The discus eat them as well!

John