PDA

View Full Version : Don't be stupid like me.

EthanCote.com
11-12-2002, 02:37 PM
Ok folks, I did something pretty dumb last nite.

I did my WC but reduced the water level more than normally when I noticed my submersible heater was out of the water. It has not been out more than 5min. When I noticed this, I quickly push the heater back into the water and ack...it cracked!!! >:(

So first lesson learned, unplug heater when this situation arises before pushing it back into the water.

Second lesson learned, have a spare heater handy!!! I didn't have one handy so I did the next best thing and cranked up the room temperature and pray the tank temperature won't drop too much over nite.

This morning it has dropped from 90F to 82F, which isn't too bad. However my discus seems a tad stress over this situation by turning several shades of gray.

The good news was I was able to run out and brought a new heater this morning and has it installed in the tank before running furiously late to work. I only hope it work well and is not one that malfunction. I shall see tonight.

Sigh. So don't make the same mistake like moi.

Cheers,

Chi.

PS: Anyway of seeing glasses under water? I am sure there are some small chip glasses down there but can't seem to see them. I try the siphon but not sure if glass is light enuff to get suck up.

PS 2: The heater was a Visi Therm (one of the older model).

DarkDiscus
11-12-2002, 02:42 PM
Chi,

Many of the glass heaters will do this if you allow them to get really hot then submerge them without letting them cool. Many have made this mistake!

John

EthanCote.com
11-12-2002, 03:34 PM
Thanks John,

But I still feel bad and stupid ;)

If only I knew to let it cool down before plucking it back into the water, then all will be ok. I'll mark this up as a learning experience and would like to share this with other newbie so they can learn from my error.

Cheers,

Chi.

brewmaster15
11-12-2002, 04:20 PM
But I still feel bad and stupid Dont' be... I do it all the time! Odds are I'll get fried some day.

Heres a suggestion. Plug the heater into a surge strip . Put your filter on it. Shut this strip down before working on the tank. It'll help. Odds are most power filters will suck air before a heater is exposed enough to crack, and give you warning!

hth,
al

Ps... sometimes they will even crack if they are heated in the air, and not even put in the tank!--been there...done that!

EthanCote.com
11-12-2002, 05:07 PM
Hey Al,

Glad to see I'm not alone and in good company ;)

Problem with your trick is that I use a canister filter and my output hose was already out of the water hehe so the sound of waterfall was just background noise for moi.

I was too focus on cleaning the poop out of the water and wasn't paying enuff attention to the heater.

Now I placed the heater as close to the bottom of the tank as I can ;)

Cheers,

Chi.

vosevichs
11-12-2002, 07:31 PM
Want another tip????

Make sure your heater is secured to your tank!!!!

My heater was loose in my quarentine tank and floated up leaveing the the stat out of the water. came home and my water was 120deg. Turning 3 of my beautiful discus into fish sticks.

11-12-2002, 09:07 PM
I just drilled some tanks to fit bulkheads to them...Trust me, your syphon will pick up chips of glass...Just give the bottom of the tank a good "going over" with the syphon... ;D

Gizmo
11-13-2002, 06:28 AM
Thanks for sharing your dilemma. It's fantastic that by sharing experiences we learn and teach others.
You know your post made me realize just how lucky I've been with my water changes, I generally do a 15 to 20 percent wc and the occasional 50 percent wc. I've obviously been quite lucky.
I've now moved my heater which was half way down the tank, and placed horizontally, further down the tank, I was tempted for a moment to place it on the very bottom (base) of the tank but, I thought if ever accidentally drop something and it happens to fall on the heater WAMO! So I ruled that one out. Anyways there you have it - oh I also went out and bought another heater.
Thanks again mate. I'm a newbie too and you have done me a deed. :D

Cheers Kos.

April
11-13-2002, 06:32 AM
i just have all mine laying on the bottom. lol. no holder.as the suction cups dont hold for long . so there they lay.
::)