PDA

View Full Version : Home-made CO2?

Mike_T
11-13-2002, 10:20 AM
I've finally decided to start planning a fully plated tank. I'm gonna eventually put 7 wilds, a school of rummy-nose, pair of rams, and a couple cories in a 125 gal. This will be my first fully planted tank. Anyone know how to make a co2 supply?

Thanks

Mike T 8)

11-13-2002, 10:45 AM
Oh I have just the gal for you..... :bounce:

Ohhhhh Pamela.... Someone has a question for you. Take a look, these are with homemade C02......
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=7;action=display;threadid=4353

She is amazing.... :o

Julz

ronrca
11-13-2002, 11:39 AM
I had diy C02 using sugar/yeast on my 90G planted. I hated it because it needed like 4 4L bottles and mixing a new bottle every 3 days! My kh is around 120ppm and the ph would swing from 7.6 to 7.0. It would never be constant. The sugar/yeast method works great for smaller tanks and maybe softer water.

I gave up after about 6 weeks. I went and bought a 10lb pressurized C02 bottle from a welding supply shop for $120Cdn. Refills are $1 per lb and it lasts at least 6 months if not longer (Ive probably payed for my system already considering that I was dishing out around $5-10 every 2 weeks on yeast and sugar). The biggest advantage is my ph is constant at 7.2! This is just my experience!

The other disadvantage is that I know a couple of people that have had their sugar/yeast reactors spill into their tanks causing massive damage.

Sorry if I'm negative but I thought I would share my experience with C02 systems especially with big tanks! Other people love it so you can always try it and decide for yourself! ;)

11-13-2002, 02:41 PM
Damn I love this forum.
Great info roncra. I am plannin the homemade route (on a 20), but then again...... I will be picking your brain ( if u will allow me) for the "bigger tank" version.

Thanks!

Julz

ronrca
11-13-2002, 03:34 PM
LOL! Julz! You can pick anytime but you may be disappointed that there is not much to pick at! :D ;) ;D :idea: :idea2: :vanish:

jklnbrg
11-15-2002, 05:45 PM
When you decide to go to a pressurized CO2 system don't buy your gauges at your LFS. Much too expensive. I got mine from the local home beer brewing shop. A very good 2 guage regulator for $35 vs $125 at the LFS.

John

Ralph
11-15-2002, 06:15 PM
Has anyone tried the Plant Gro CO2 Natural System? I saw it at a LFS the other day for $30US. It has some kind a chamber that you add a powder (probably sugar and yeast). It also comes with a bubble ladder that looked good. I was just wondering, I'll probably continue with my old DIY setup.

ronrca
11-15-2002, 06:24 PM
I have seen it and it looks cool but imo, a tad pricey! Especially when you probably have some 4L pop bottles kicking around anyways. One thing I did not check out was the replacement powder price. I bet it is a whole lot more expensive then going to the grocery store.

Well, since I have the pressurized system, I have no need for it! That is unless someone wants me to test it out. In that case, gladly! I have a paypal account! ;D

John,
Absolutely correct! In fact talking about lfs and prices, I hardly buy equipment from petstores anymore. Id rather spend the money on fish, not equipment. Home Depot should open a fish section. THere is sooo much available there for equipment! ;)

ChloroPhil
11-25-2002, 03:27 PM
With anything larger than 20g compressed gas is the way to go.

For some good discussions on CO2 systems go here:
http://www.aquabotanic.com/boards/viewforum.php?f=4

For reliable and inexpensive regulators check out:
www.kegworks.com
www.clippard.com ~needle valves and bushing adaptors.