PDA

View Full Version : 3 week old fries

njdiscus
11-13-2002, 08:39 PM
Hi,

I have a batch of 150+ wildxPB that are 3 weeks old. All of them are healthy and growing. However, this past couple of days, I'm finding one or two dead fries in the morning. Is it typical to have this type of death rate? I suppose not all will grow to adults?

I do 20% WC every day and they are all in a 30Gal tank.

Thanks!

Carol_Roberts
11-13-2002, 09:22 PM
This is not typical. Perhaps they have gill flukes?
CArol :heart1:

njdiscus
11-13-2002, 10:37 PM
Are there signs for gill flukes? The other fries appear to be doing well and growing.

Mark

njdiscus
11-13-2002, 11:24 PM
Another question...how do I get rid of gill flukes if indeed that's the problem?

Thanks again!

Mark

kokebon
11-14-2002, 12:49 AM
hey mark

I am having the same problems!! Carol has suggested using prazzi and others have suggested formalin, I don't know which to use. I do water change daily also and I was told by a local breeder to use antibiotics.

I am just as confused as you are!!
I don't want to lose any more fries!! and this is frustrating because its the first success!!!

kokebon ???

fcdiscus
11-14-2002, 12:59 AM
We all get this problem sooner or later. The fry get some flukes that do not appear tobe a problem for the adults, and then a secondary infection sets in the gills. The fry have not yet developed an immunity to this bacteria. A lot of salt will help- 1 tbsp per 2 or even 1 gallon, and a formalin treatment will also help, but to ric the tank of bacteria, you will need a fairly strong antibiotic. I used Neomycin Sulfate as per Cary, and the results were astonishing. I do not believe it is the flukes killing the fry, I think it is the secondary infection. JMO- Frank

njdiscus
11-14-2002, 01:08 AM
Sounds like a common problem. I also heard that fludendazole (flubenol 5%) can help. Where can I get these medication? from a lfs?

In the meantime, I'll try the salt solution. Thanks fcdiscus!

Mark

Carol_Roberts
11-14-2002, 01:42 AM
Al posted this on an earlier thread, I added highllights both meds work with fry:

Flubendazole is a 5% concentration of flubenole( also called flubendazole. 1/4 teaspoon / 20 US gal water

You can also use praziquantel. Its doseage is...
Bath.... 100mg/10 gal (1/4 tsp/20 gal)

Mechanical filter may be running- no carbon or other chemical media.

With both these treatment I go 21 days.

day 1 50% water change, dose meds full strength,,
day 2 50% wc, no meds,
day 3 50% water change, and dose full strength. At this rate you will dose 11 times in the 21 days.

hth,
al

PS: You can get prazi from billman@citynet.net Flubendazole from Jehmco. Formalin and Fluke tabs are available in the online catalogs and some pet stores

Carol :heart1:

njdiscus
11-14-2002, 09:31 AM
Thanks Carol!

kokebon
11-14-2002, 12:42 PM
Hi Carol:

Thanks for the information. Now, do we usually do the 21 days treatment after fries are removed from the parents as a prevention or only when they are showing signs of distress?

Thanks

Kokebon

Sean
11-14-2002, 02:18 PM
Sorry, not to bring on too many questions, from too many sources but, at which point is this started; eggs, wigglers, free swimmers?

Thanks,

Sean.

Carol_Roberts
11-14-2002, 04:15 PM
Only use fluke medication if the babies are showing stress.
Carol :heart1: