PDA

View Full Version : What is the average breeding expectency

wo
11-14-2002, 08:29 AM
I read in the magazine that the female could start to breed at the age of 8 month and could breed only for 2 years. But I did not find any information for male discus. Is it possible that they breed life-long just like man? Could someone answer this question that I want to know for a long time.

Thanks!:D

11-14-2002, 05:36 PM
as far as i know, a good male will be a good breeder for up to 6 years or even longer. I have also been told by Cary that 20% of his males end up not being able to parent because they eat eggs, don't fertilize, etc.
HTH
Brad

wo
11-15-2002, 01:01 PM
Thanks Bradnc. That explain why my discus are willing to mate but I never see any eggs. About years ago I once saw a pair of red turk laid eggs. Few were hatched but day by day I lost a few fry. One week later, ended up with only one fry but crooked. Of course, that was a big failure. I want to breed them just once.

Willie
11-16-2002, 10:23 PM
On standard varieties like Red Turqs, females can breed around 12 months while males start around 15 months. They may go through lots of mating type behavior, but I've never had males go before 15 months -- closer to 18 months for most. In Asia, I understand the discus mature much earlier with a cycle lasting 10 months -- but that's with constant live food and large water changes. Some varieties will not breed until quite late. Blue Diamonds usually do nothing for 24 months. Wilds usually are also late.

Willie

stewarts_inc
11-17-2002, 06:33 AM
hey all :D
I find my males breed at 12 months and last at least 6 years but by then the fertilaty rate has dropped off so really not much good .males that are in there prime mating yrs are the ones u should concentrate on.