PDA

View Full Version : Food Recipes...

brewmaster15
11-14-2002, 11:51 AM
Hi all,
I'm going to be putting together an article on food recipes. I'd be interested in adding your special beefheart, gel food, or whatever? recipe to the list if you could post it here. Please write in your submission that you authorize Simply Discus and its owners to copy, edit, and publish your recipes. Include any information about yourself that you want included with the recipe.

This article will be housed in our Library as a reference for our members.

Thanks,
al

jim_shedden
11-14-2002, 12:32 PM
great idea. I keep forgetting the beefheart recipie.

jim

brewmaster15
11-14-2002, 12:43 PM
I tend to go alittle crazy with my beefheart mixes. I can honestly say I have never made it the same way 2x but heres a basic...

3 cups ground beef heart/veal heart
1 cup ground raw shrimpw/ shell
2 cups HBH meat lovers flakes
1 cup HBH Discus and Angel flake
2 oz formula one marine
4 crushed womens one a day vitamens
6 calcium citrate +Vit D suppliments . crushed
4 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
3 egg yolk
2 tablespoons paprika
3 tablespoons ground garlic powder
1 /2 cup cooked spinach pureed

mix and heat til hot, not boiling and stir in 6-8 packets of Knox gelatin, pour and let cool. Cut it up and freeze.

Additional items I may add or substitute...
CooKed wheat germ for the cornmeal.
Baby food (hey I have one).... the pureed spinach, carrot,bananna, are all great additives.
Babay formula 2-3 tablespoons...laugh but check out the nutritional info in it
Brewer Yeast-1 tablespoon....of course I have a lot of this.
2-3 tablespoons spirulina powder or 1 /2 cup flakes
3 tablespoons plankton , or Krill fines (jehmco.com)
1/2 cup tetra color bits, or nutrafin max , complete marine morsels
Cod fish filet1/2 pound per pound beef
fish oil 1/2 tspoon
decapsulated Brine shrimp (brine shrimp direct)

oh yeah, I also throw in the kitchen sink to really balence things out...

Hth,
al

PS... I, Al Sabetta authorize Simply Discus and its owners to copy, edit, and publish my recipes ;) ;D

jim_shedden
11-14-2002, 03:35 PM
Al : Your PS was very tacky.................I like it.......... ;D

jim

ronrca
11-14-2002, 04:00 PM
My beefheart recipe? Hmmmm!
-First beefheart
-second what else I can find the in fridge, on shelves, in corners, behind dresser, under carpet, etc (you'd be surpised how much fish stuff I have ;D)

Throw all in blender, wait until it looks good to drink, pour in plastic bags and freeze!

If you really want a creative recipe, see above (Al's post)! I never use the same stuff when making beefheart so I guess I do not have much of a recipe. I usually 'steal' other people's ideas and add to (and my wife says I never cook! Hphmm! >:( )!

O, yea! Another item I always add is garlic and wheatgerm!

PS-This ones copyrighted Al! :rolleyes: Please forward royalities! ;D

Vitamins Al! Thats a good one! I'll have to remember that one next time! Thanks! ;)

jim_shedden
11-14-2002, 04:51 PM
Al : I am in the kitchen as we speak making your recipe. The question I have is about the cooking. to add the gelitain you have to cook the beefheart. Obviously, if you are doing it it works but I am curious if the beefheart loses anything in the process?

Jim

brewmaster15
11-14-2002, 05:03 PM
Hi Jim,
actually cooking is not necessary, you just need to heat the food, so the gelatin will work. For example I make a lot of smaller batches now, and here I just nuke a cup of water til it boils, stir into into the mix and add the gelatin , mix well and in a Zip lock bag to the freezer.

-al

jim_shedden
11-14-2002, 05:17 PM
Al : I made up your recipe and put it on the stove. I heated it up and then put in 4 packets of gelitin. Mixed it real well and then put it on foil and then into the fridge. Sound alright?

Jim

brewmaster15
11-14-2002, 05:52 PM
If it gels ...Yes

If it doesn't...no! ;D

seriously it should work fine.
if not just add more gelatin and add some boiling hot water.
and cool in the fridge.

good luck,
al

jim_shedden
11-14-2002, 08:15 PM
It turned out great. Kathy came in and ate some before I could pack it away........... ;D

Jim

Francisco_Borrero
11-15-2002, 12:40 PM
I also make my own beefheart, slight variations from some of the recipes above. I find that raw shrimp helps well as a binder of everything else.

There are two things I am doing now that I consider vast improvements over my own previous recipe:

1) I now use whole silversides (small salt-water fish) as an ingredient. These are 1.5-2 inches long, and they go whole in the grinder (heads, tails, bones, all). They are soft so no problems. Great for calcium, phosphorus, omega-3 fatty acids.
2) I have improved substantially my last two batches by creating a beefheart paste that is more stable in the water (i.e, does not fly into tiny little pieces that mess up the tank). I know that people use unflavored gelatin as binder, and so did I. However --------->>>>

I found a product that is far superior: It is sold by Aquarium ecosystems (www.aquaticeco.com) and it is called something like gel-food. It is a coarse powder like gelatin that acts as binder but produces a better paste. It is very rich in protein, and in other goodies (minerals in particular). If anybody is interested, I have the breakdown of its composition, just not with me right now. It holds powders (such as vitamins or spirulina) very well. It seems to have good flavor, because the fish go for it very well. It is not expensive. Finally, gelatin "melts" very quickly on contact with the tank's temperature, whereas this gel is more stable. All in all, I like a lot better than gelatin, which is of course almost completely devoid of nutritional value.

You may want to give it a try. I like it. Should anybody be interested in further info, (product number, catalog description, etc.), look in the online catalog, or ask me.
HTH. Cheers, Francisco.

11-15-2002, 03:16 PM
Here are my recipes that I use:

First batch:

3 fresh eggs
5 oz frozen green peas
1 lb frozen shrimp
1 lb fish fillets (skinless, boneless - avoid fatty fish meat)
5 oz frozen carrots
1 fresh banana
5 oz frozen chopped spinach
1/2 lb frozen crab meat
10 vitamins (Kent Zoe Freshwater Vitamins)
10 oz earthworm flake food

Mix eggs, carrots, spinach, peas in a bowl and microwave for 2-3 minutes. Finely chop shrimp, crabmeat and fish fillets in a pot of boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. PLace all in a blender and add vitamin tablets, flake food and peeled banana. (If contents become too pasty, add a small amount of water. If too watery, add more flakes.) Press into zipper bags and flatten to 1/4th thickness. Place in freezer.

2nd batch:

2 lb beef heart (remove fat/gristle)
3/4 shrimp (remove tail and shell)
3 tbl freeze dried krill
1 raw egg yolk
1 small Gerbie baby veggies
1/2 cup spirulina flake
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 tbl garlic powder
1 1/4 oz Knox gelatin
10 vitamins (Kent Zoe Freshwater Vitamins)

Double grind beef heart. Add and grind shrimp. Grind krill to powder in another bowl. Mix the knox gelatin in another bowl and follow directions on box. Now mix everything together. Press into zipper bags and flatten to 1/4th thickness. Place in freezer.

11-15-2002, 03:52 PM
I am rolling ronrca. :D :D

Behind the dresser? The only thing behind my dresser is dust bunnies, and behind his is stinky socks that missed the laundry basket. Do you think they would be of any nutritional value? hmmmmmm ammonia? :idea2: fishless cycle?

anyway you are a riot..
Julz

Lynn
12-01-2002, 08:09 PM
My basic recipe:

1 beef heart, well trimmed, cut into cubes
2-3 frozen whiting filets, skin removed, cut into cubes
4 cloves of fresh garlic, finely minced
1 jar baby food banana
1 spirulina capsule, sprinkled over mixture
1 B-complex vitamin crushed and sprinkled over mixture
1 packet of Knox gelatin

I use a hand-grinder and grind the heart twice.
Next grind the whiting and mix in with heart.
Mix in garlic and run through grinder again.
Add banana, spirulina,and vitamin and mix very well.
Make up Knox with hot water according to package directions. Let cool. Add just enough Knox to have a smooth mixture, not soupy! Spread out between wax paper to desired thickness and freeze.
Break apart and keep in zipper freezer bags.

This is what I always use. I do add other things like dried krill, and shrimp when I have them.

HTH ;D
Lynn

gary
12-18-2002, 12:22 AM
Hi Lynn,
My mini food processer after making three times beef heart. It can not chop the meat very well. So right now I'm thinking to buy a hand grinder. There is a brand called universal. It has three hole sizes (3/16,1/8,5/16). Which size you are useing?
GARY

Lynn
12-18-2002, 02:39 AM
Hi Gary,

My meat grinder is ancient!! lol ! No hole openings, just attachments that fit over the end that resemble propellers.
The one that does a coarse grind has 3 blades, the fine one has 12 blades.
In your case, I'd start with 5/16 and then go to 3/16.
HTH! ;D
Lynn

fishfarm
01-26-2003, 12:38 AM
Hi Al, Feel free to publish

I mix up a lot at a time:

2 large beef heart trimmed of fat and cubed (about 8-10 lbs)
5 lbs shrimp, shelled
5 lbs whiting fillet (any firm white meat fillet will do)
1 lb frozen green peas
1 lb frozen spinach
4 bulbs fresh garlic, pressed (not 4 cloves the whole thing)
1/4 box wheat germ
1/4 box baby oatmeal cereal
20 organic multi vitamins, crushed
10 Vitamin C, crushed
1/4 to 1/2 lb Spirulina flake food
3 or more bananas (Those black ones you just end up throwing away.)
I run all this thru a meat grinder 4-5 times until it has the consistency of gritty peanut butter and then place in baggies, press flat and freeze, no gelatin, no cooking. The oatmeal, wheat germ and flake food make it hold together.

Almost any seafood can be added
The last batch I made I used 8 venison hearts because I save them until the end of hunting season and find they do not have to be trimmed as they are very lean and seem to be easier to grind.
I mix up two bags of medicated food when I do this, one with Prazi and one with Metro so I have it when I need it.
This make about 20 to 25 lbs of food and last me a month.
This is my main food, I also feed frozen bloodworms, cichlid pellets, cichlid growth flakes, color flakes and spirilina flakes.

jim_shedden
01-26-2003, 09:35 AM
Great recipe & I think that your idea for the medicated food is very thoughtful.

Much appreciated : Jim

BlueTurquoise
01-26-2003, 10:25 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought that Metro should not be added to food that is not going to be served straight away as moisture deteriorates metro over time and decreases it's effectiveness.

That's why I always mix my metro in just before I feed it to them. Please comment...

Chong

fishfarm
01-27-2003, 11:33 PM
Hi, As long as it is frozen it still seems to work fine, If I am wrong someone please correct me. I got the suggestion from Vickie Burnley from the Specific Pathogen Free Aquaculture Center at the University of Georgia Vet. School.

BlueTurquoise
01-29-2003, 01:38 AM
Interesting... hmm

One other thing, what the heck is Knox Gelatin?

fishfarm
01-29-2003, 09:38 AM
Hi, I talked with Vickie and as long as the food is kept frozen the metro remains good. :) Ken

jouniv
01-31-2003, 09:20 AM
Hi Ken, your recipy looks balanced. I try to calculate the proteins, fats and carbohydrates of it. How much would be 1/4 box of wheat germ or oat cereal, approx.? In Finnland boxes are typically 600-1000 grams, although I buy oatmeal cereal (for our family breakfast !) in 2 kg packs. Oatmeal porridge, frozen self-picked blueberries, rasberries and lingonberries (wild not culticated). Keeps me going!

Jouni

Monette
01-31-2003, 12:24 PM
Knox-Gelatin is an unflavored gelatin. Knox is the brand if I remember correctly. Can be found near the Jello in a grocery store :)

fishfarm
02-01-2003, 10:03 AM
Hi Jouni, I looked at the boxes and they are 1 lb so I use 1/4 lb or so. I don't measure it, just add as I go until I get the consistency I am looking for. When I feed it breaks off as a nice solid chunk and sits on the bottom of the tank until the fish eat it all. Does not fall apart or cloud the water. Ken

steve s
02-08-2003, 01:55 PM
I am looking for a complete beef heart recipe , but I need to
make up small batches, only have 6 fish. Also need to know
best way to freeze without freezer burn , yet easy to feed.
Again only have 6 fish, but they deserve the best !

Thanks,
Steve

McGilly
03-12-2003, 05:12 AM
8)

Mr.Trips
03-13-2003, 05:50 PM
I have a totally different recipe!

Get Keys, take car, go to fish shop, buy Beefheart Mix

Get in car, Go Home, put Beefheart in Freezer, get a big smooch from wifey, because I didnt *&%$ her kitchen!

jim_shedden
03-13-2003, 05:56 PM
This sounds like an experienced discus keeper who has been down this road before........ ;D

leechiahan
03-13-2003, 10:39 PM
can you people tell me where I can get all this stuff?

2 oz formula one marine
2 tablespoons paprika

gazzriz
03-31-2003, 12:24 AM
:-\ :-\Is it suppose to look like cow poop???? :-\ :-\

brewmaster15
03-31-2003, 01:19 AM
Hi Gary,
If it looks like Cow poop it may be too processed. Shoot for a HORSE POOP LIKE TEXTURE! ;) ;D

-AL

fishfarm
04-03-2003, 05:37 PM
LOL, Horse poop is right. :) Mine tends to be chunky. Some pieces are to big for small fish and have to be vacumed out, The adults eat everything.

MrHW
04-25-2003, 09:24 AM
Could I translate into your food recipies and put it on my site?

Would you mind?

MrHW

likoma
05-07-2003, 02:27 PM
My formula is mainly chicken liever and heart:

1kg chicken liever and heart
0.5Kg mussels
0.2kg spinacks (I boil them)
2 Carrots (also boiled)
0.25kg shrimp
8 Calamari rings
2 egg yolk (boiled)
60 drops of a baby multivitamine complex
1 garlic

I grind all this and frozen in thin plaques between aluminium foils.

tracywalls
06-05-2003, 07:11 PM
Ok, excuse my ignorence but after it is made and frozen, how does it get fed to the fish. Throw it is frozen or do you thaw a little at a time and feed it to them room temp. Or maybe saute with fava beans and a nice Chianti :P

Ann
06-05-2003, 07:23 PM
Well I feed my beefheart frozen. I am not sure about others but I just throw the frozen cube in and as it starts to melt in the warm water the fish attack it and pull it apart. I know there are some who defrost it first but I have always feed it frozen. I also feed the blood worms frozen.

Ann

likoma
06-09-2003, 01:40 PM
I break a piece and wait a few minutes until it gets a paste.

I drink the wine myself.

Luca
07-01-2003, 01:08 AM
likoma, just a note you may not be aware of: boiling removes most nutrients from vegetables, you may want to try just straight grinding it or using a cheese grater type contraption,

thanks to everyone for the recipe ideas, very useful, going to try knock something up now :)

take care,
Luca.

likoma
07-04-2003, 09:52 AM
I boil some ingredients to be able to get them soft. I have found that any hard small piece of carrot is refused by the discus. If boiled it is softer and can be converted into a paste instead of granules.

I will try to grind the carrots and the spinachs to a fine powder and not having to boil them.

low
07-13-2003, 11:54 AM
anyone try using pig heart to replace beef heart ?

Discus Dreams
07-17-2003, 05:04 PM
Okay I think I can post the recipe now as the trial period is over, my latest recipe is an attempt to cut out beef heart. I saw a post by one of the board members, mentioning turkey breast 99% ground ( I think it was DiscusNW). I went to the supermarket and purchased the following items.

Fresh Turkey breast $8.50 US

Fresh Tuna $4.00 US (a small piece which was an end cut)

Frozen filleted fish (Can't remember the name but it was salt water 4 fillets to the pack) $3.75 US

1 garlic clove segment of a fairly big size (from the kitchen)

1 Box of knox Gelatine.

My blender is very small so I processed everything one ingredient at a time. I also checked the consistency in a bowl with water to see how the pieces would break up in water.

After all the ingredients were put together I put some water inside a cup and heated it in the microwave for a quick 30 secs (just to warm it not Boil)
I then placed some Knox plain gelatine in the cup and stirred it to make a slush.

A small amount of the gelatine slush was placed into each Glad ziplock bag I then parcelled the mix into each bag making sure that the slush went all through the bag and that there were no trapped air pockets. The bag was placed into the freezer.

hope this helps the people who cannot get beefheart. My Fish in tank 1 love it, the fish in tank 2 hide and eat it, but I have'nt had a chance to check how the older fish in tank 3 respond hopefully I will be able to update you later.

07-17-2003, 11:39 PM
My simple recipe.

Basic food.
10 lb of cleaned BH cubes
10 lb of frozen seafood mix. including shrimps, clams, cuttle fish, Squids.
2 lb of boiled Spinach.
Hand grind twice and store in 1 lb container and freeze.

Adult food.
Basic food plus additives.
Adult muti-vitamin 1 capsule per pound.
Naturose for red,yellow and orange fish.- 1 teaspoon /2.5 lb.
Spirulina for blue, white and green fish.- As dark as you can stand depending on purity of the product.
OSI fish flakes as binder.
Bag, flattened and freeze.

Fry and juvenile Food.
1 lb. of adult food from freezer. Break in pieces.
Add water and put in blender. Turn into baby food.
Add mild Anthalmintic for both tape and round worms from 1-3" fish.
Add Calcium Citrate 2 tablets/lb.
Add more OSI flakes as binder and freeze.

Medicated food.
Basic adult food and defrost
Add experimental medications or herbs from garden when needed.
Add OSI flakes and freeze.
Feed to cull tank for a week and check for response before using on other fish.
Jimmy

Aquatic_Design
08-02-2003, 08:50 AM
This is my latest mix that most of the fish seem to like.

1lb. 99% fat free turkey breast
7oz. tuna
7oz. salmon
1/4lb HBH meat lovers flake (more or less depending on consistency)
1 jar baby food bananas
1 jar baby food peas
1 jar baby food carrots
Naturose

I have also used a pig heart and shrimp recipe. They seem to like this current one a little better.

Donna :)

fcdiscus
08-02-2003, 01:32 PM
The thing that bothers me is salmonella in raw turkey breast. Frank :(

Aquatic_Design
08-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Hi Frank,
I do agree the possibility is there for salmonella in turkey but there are potential hazards to any raw meat. :(
I have been using the turkey breast for every other mix for about two years now and so far no problems from any of the meat mixes.
Donna :)

Busmike
09-04-2003, 10:29 PM
Hello All,

After breeding Angelfish for 10 years, i bought my first Discus (3 of them) the other day. More out of feeling sorry for them, they were leftovers at a wholesaler's I deal with. In studying these new fish, I ran into the burning question of food. A friend sent me this receipe... He got it off a Guppie site. It seems appropriate for discus, but I thought I'd ask here:

Frozen Beef Heart
by Stephen Kwartler

Beef heart (about 4 lb.)
Jars of strained baby food containing no sugar
4-jars of carrots
4- jars of peas
4- jars of sweet potatoes
1- zucchini
1 bottle of Poly Visol baby vitamins (expensive about $9.00 but necessary) or equivalent
Half box of baby cereal unflavored.
Two packets of Knox unflavored gelatin
You can also add to this recipe:
8 oz. of flake food, shredded shrimp or shrimp meal
8 oz. or more of fish fillet or fish roe
Preparation
I cut away all the fat and vein off the beef heart and cut into cubes. Peel off the skin from the zucchini. I then add in small portions of the cubed beef heart into a blender or food processor. This takes the longest amount of time. You can add the liquid vitamins a little at a time to help with the blending. I never add any water to this recipe. After all the beef heart in well blended it is time to mix in the rest of the ingredients. Take small portions of the beef heart and add some baby food, flake food, a piece of the zucchini, fish and whatever else you are adding and re-blend until all the ingredients are evenly blended. This will require the use of several large bowls if large amounts are being mixed. Put entire mix into a large enough container. Put the two packets of Knox gelatin into 4 oz. of very hot water and mix well. Immediately add the gelatin and mix well. Once everything is blended evenly I put about 2 hefty tablespoons in 4 x 10-inch fish bags and flatten out like a candy bar. DO NOT MAKE THEM TOO FAT! When finished, all bags go into freezer until needed. To feed I take a sharp cutting knife and cut into small (1/8 - 1/4) cubes and feed to every tank. Fish usually feed on this for sometime. Some fish will pick whiles others go into a frenzy. After this feeding I do not feed again for at least two hours. I feed the beef heart about 4 times a week to all guppies from three weeks of age to five months. I still feed baby brine shrimp to all fry and juveniles everyday.

What do you all think? Good, Bad, or ugly????

??? ??? ???

CanadianGuy
09-04-2003, 11:06 PM
How messy is this stuff?....it seems to me that there would be alot of things that just dissolve in the water...(ie...babyfood, ground up vitamins, ground up bannas)....leaving you with just the ground up things..

I'm sure I'm just not understanding ???....does anyone have any pictures of thier fish eating these recipes??

James

jeddah
09-16-2003, 03:46 AM
Dear All,

With all the BH recipes you post, which one do you think does not cloud the water at all. I noticed Beef Heart are messy.

I am looking for BH recipe that doesnt cloud the water just like dry food. Is there any? Pls share the secret.

Many Thanks

fishfarm
09-16-2003, 09:00 AM
Check out my recipe on the second page of the post. It never clouds the water and stays in a chuck until eaten. Ken

jeddah
09-16-2003, 10:42 AM
Hi Ken, very interesting recipe, I hope I can get the right mixture and consistency as you do. The secret here is experience like yours.

Actually I have given up BH already and just settled with dry foods because I could not maintain water quality but it seems my discus are'nt getting the right nutrients they need from dry food. It's time to try it again. How do you rate BH compared to other food?

After freezing the BH, how do you break them to pieces before feeding? do you shred? do you feed while frozen? or you thaw first then feed, pls advise.

Wow! you are mixing-up such a big volume of BH, I supposed you own a discus farm. How big is it? I tried to browse your website but getting a hardtime downloading pictures I dont know if from my internet connection here or there. eager to see your site.

many thanks
jovel

fishfarm
09-16-2003, 04:19 PM
Hi, I think beefheart is the best quality protien for the money. I feed it every day. I'm usually feeding 500-1000 discus a day so I need lots of food! When I mix it up, I spread it thin (about a 1/4") in sandwich baggies, press flat and freeze. I use one of these a day. I just break off pieces and throw them in the tank frozen. They sink to the bottom and the fish eat on them until they are gone. Don't over do it, After an hour or two if there is still food left you gave them to much. I do 50% water changes every other day on the adults and 50-75% a day on the youngsters. I also give them bloodworms, flake food and pellets daily also. Keep those bellys full and they grow faster. Ken

jeddah
09-17-2003, 10:18 AM
Thanks Ken, First time to try BH w/o gelatin.

May I ask you at what age your discus reach its full size?
In your experience, what is the biggest variety?
How fast are they growing each month?

Lots of begginers question.
Appreciate all !

jovel

tony1313
09-24-2003, 03:11 PM
I mix up two bags of medicated food when I do this, one with Prazi and one with Metro so I have it when I need it.

Ken,
Thanks for posting your recipe! I am making up a batch this weekend and would like to know how much Metro(I use hexamit) and Prazi to add to medicated portions.

TIA,
Tony

jules
10-12-2003, 12:23 PM
Does anyone else have more recipes with Turkey Heart?
Do I cook the Turkey heart?

dmacch
12-21-2003, 03:27 PM
I have been to two different butchers in my area and when I ask if they carry beefheart they look at me like I'm nuts. That being said, can't I just use the frozen beefheart from the lfs. Better yet can I thaw it out and add other things to it. It seems that if I thaw it then freeze it again that I would ruin it. Also how are the recipes using chicken cutlets or fish filets. Do the fish get the same nutrition as BH. Any sggestions? Thanks

Dom

Busmike
12-21-2003, 04:04 PM
I have been to two different butchers in my area and when I ask if they carry beefheart they look at me like I'm nuts.

Ask your butchers which slaughterhouses they buy from, or do a search on you computer for slaughterhouses in your area. I ran into the same problem. One butcher was willing to order them in for me, but wanted $20 a pop.

Might as well use fillet minion... Found a slaughterhouse 15 miles from me and now pay $8 each.

jim_shedden
12-22-2003, 08:59 AM
Dom :

Where are you located ?

Jim

dmacch
12-22-2003, 06:56 PM
Long Island, NY

Haywire
02-16-2004, 08:48 AM
How messy is this stuff?....it seems to me that there would be alot of things that just dissolve in the water...(ie...babyfood, ground up vitamins, ground up bannas)....leaving you with just the ground up things..

I'm sure I'm just not understanding ???....does anyone have any pictures of thier fish eating these recipes??

James

That's where the gelatin comes in, it sets when you freeze it and you get a jelly like product when you add it to the tank. Depending on the gelatin some will complete discolve due to the water temperature. As for a photo mine usually won't let the stuff hit the bottom of the tank for me to take the snap shot.

Anyone ever try Agar-Agar? great stuff, me and a buddy made some beefheart on saturday. It's so good that I accidentally over feed one tank ain the evening (cull tank) and it was still solid the next day.

stir-fry
02-16-2004, 02:21 PM
I can't get beefheart from my lfs anymore as his supplier is in the states and all beef imports have been banned from down there.
I guess it's time to head to the grocery store and make my own.

CanadianGuy
03-01-2004, 04:56 AM
Thanks Haywire...

I didn't think anyone was ever going to respond to that question!

03-01-2004, 01:40 PM
Agar Agar is a seaweed extract commonly used as a desert in asia. You can add any kind of fruit with sugar added and serve after chilling. A good summer treats under a hot sun. It acts as a laxative to improve bowl movement as well. Most breeders are using them for the beefheart if shrimps are not included in the ingredients. A very cheap source of geletine. Cost a dollar per oz. in a Chinese Grocery store and it's good enough for 40 cups of water. It's safe to use in discus food esp. species which is known for constipation or large feces like the BD. Ask for " Dye Choi Go" in Cantonese. " Dar Chai Kow" in Mandarin. Otherwise the store keepers will just stare at you and say " No" "No" " No".HTH
Jimmy.

red
03-11-2004, 10:19 PM
Here is a recipe from Amazon Aquatics that I have been using for about 12 yrs. and my fish really seem to like it

Ingredients:

one lb. fresh fish(white meat)
one lb. fresh scallops
two lb. fresh shrimp (remove most of the shell)
six oz. tetra cichlid food sticks
three oz. wheat germ (plain)
three large raw eggs
one 14 oz. can peas (no salt added)
four tablespoons of bone meal (garden supplies, make sure it is pure bone meal and has no additives)
eight tablespoons spirulina powder (found in health food stores or O.S.I.)
four talbespoons powdered vitamins ("all-1" from a health food store.)

The above ingredients will make about five and one half lbx. of fish food. The consistency will be too thick for a blender, so use a food processor, and process the ingredients in the order below to allow proper chopping and mixing. The quantity of food will be larger than the food processor can hold at one time. You will need four large bowls to hold the ingredients during the following procedure.

1. Place the six oz. of tetra cichlid food sticks and the three oz. of wheat germ in water so that it just covers the material, and let it soak for several minutes to soften.

2. Squeeze out any excess water, then put it into the food processor and process it until it is smooth and slightly thinner than peanut butter (add a little water while processing if it is too thick)

3. Divide the material evenly into the four bowls.

4. Process the one lb. of raw fish and the one lb. of raw scallops until smooth.

5. Divide the material evenly into the four bowls.

6. Put the two lbs. of raw shrimp and the three eggs into the processor and process until smooth, with no lumps or shreds.

7. Divide the material evely into the four bowls.

8. Next put all of the contents of one of the bowls into the processor.

9. While processing, add one tablespoon of the bone meal, 1/4 of the can of peas, one tablespoon of powdered vitamins, and two tablespoons of spirulina powder.

10. Process until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed.

11. Repeat steps 8 to 10 for the other three bowls.

12. Place about 4 ozs. of the finished mixture into a 7s8 ziplock freezer bag.

13. Zip all but one corner and slowly flatten to about one eighth of an inch, while pushing all of the air out through the open corner.

14. Close the seal and freeze the mixture (freezing it thin like this allows you to break off the amount of food that you need, while still frozen.)

This food tries to meet all of the dietary needs of discus. It can be fed to fish from three weeks old up to adults. it is accepted by most on the first or second feedings. The ingredients in these proportions make a paste that sinds slowly and stays together extremely well without gelatin.

brew1
03-18-2004, 03:49 AM
Hi all,

I'm picking up 10 lbs of fresh BH today from the local meat market and was reviewing some of the recipes for new ideas/ingredients.

In the past I have simply used the ground beefheart mixed in a food processor with shrimp, fish flakes, vitamins, gelatin and spirulina powder added.

I see the majority of the BH recipes in this thread include vegetables and/or fruit. What reason or benefit would there be to adding ingredients such as spinach, peas or bananas to a BH mixture?

Since the fruit and vegetables have no nutritional benefit for a discus, are these items being added to provide a cleansing fiber for the discus digestive system? Kinda like dumping in some Metamusil to the BH mixture :)

Should I be concerned about adding fiber and possibly creating a digestive system blockage and bloating?

Just wondering what the reasoning is behind these ingredients before I consider adding them to my BH mixture.

Thanks in advance for your response.

Fishlvr4
04-03-2004, 08:49 AM
Just curious about the additions/benefits of adding garlic, eggs, banana, and paprika to your food mix? I can understand adding the rest.

jcasti
04-06-2004, 09:01 PM
To all:
Francisco Borrero posted that he used Gel-Food from Aquatic Ecosystems in lieu of gelatin. He says it binds better. Has anybody have had any experience with the Ge-food. What amount do you use.
I am a new Discus Keeper. I have kept killies and guppies for many years.
Thanks
Joe

rcubeiii
04-27-2004, 11:11 PM
Regarding use of vegetables in beefheart mixes, there is no need as discus cannot digest them. Please see the article at the following link, which also has a good recipe:

http://article.dphnet.com/cat-01/beefheart1.shtml

Snapper
09-05-2004, 03:11 PM
I use 1 lb Beef Heart plus 1/2 lb fish, 1/2 lb shrimp and grind together. Press to 1/4 inch between wax paper on a cookie sheet and freeze 30 min os so. Then use large knife to cut into 1/2 cubes and place into bags and freeze. To feed, grab several cubes and toss into the tank.

Add whateverelse you want into the basic mix.

Snapper

roger
02-08-2005, 02:15 PM
My beefheart mix includes cooked spinach (the frozen stuff you get at the store).

I have watched my discus devour a live plant before (water sprite) all the way to the main stock. That was the wild discus and I have said they will eat anything that gets near the tank. Since Im not going to take the poop out of the tank and anaylze it Ill just suggest that discus do need a certain amount of vegatable matter in their diet. Im not talking much here but there has to be something missing from most common mixes that plants tend to provide. Hell for all I know they just wanted the roughage.

The formula I used is based on the one that Gabe Possada posted. I try to replace flake food with krill meal whenever possible.

Peace,
Roger

Doug A
05-25-2005, 10:02 PM
This was my first time making a BH recipie. It took a few feedings before the fish went nuts over it. Well here is my recipie.

1 pound trimmed beefheart
1 pound raw shrimp
4 oz frozen krill
a small amount of frozen chopped spinach
4 cloves garlic
about 4 oz flake food (spirulina, ON formula1, ON prime reef, ON brine shrimp +, HBH seafood lovers)
1tsp powdered reptile vitamins
1tsp Kent ZOE vitamins
several drops of Kent Garlic extreme
also added some frozen Cyclop-eeze

First I ground the beefheart, shrimp and krill through a meat grinder. Mixed them all together. The garlic, spinach and vitamins were turned into a paste using a food processor then added to the meat. Added the flake and cylop-eeze and mixed all together. This was then run through the meat grinder a second time. I put into quart size freezer bags about 1/8 - 1/4 inch thick. Once frozen I broke off small pieces and put a few at a time into the food processor to be chopped into small bits. It comes out looking like Tetra color bits. Most pieces are small enough for 3" fish to eat whole.

Doug

lisagariz
11-13-2005, 06:40 AM
Hello evryone, my dicscus meal consist of:

800gms-Beef heart
500gms-white fish
500gms-Mussel
300gms-Shrimp
300gms-salmon
400gms-spinich
One can of pees without the skin
1 apple Peeled
2 bannanas
1-green pepper
3 pices of garlic
20 pharmaton complex (vitamins)
Spirulina (the more the merier)
2-boild carrots

All these ingredients mixed and I use Agar-Agar To agglutinate it.
Its a sea weed 100% natural. To use it you have to pre heat the meal to 80º in order to agglutinete correctly.
One love direcly from Barcelona ;)
Lisagariz:D

NigelBond
03-20-2006, 06:01 AM
A coworker of mine recently told me that he adds a birth control pill to his mix. He says that it will enhance the colour of the discus. I personaly think this sounds kind of crazy.

Anybody here do that aswell?

Also when it comes to beef heart, my discus just wont eat it. I must admit though that i was just simply carving little peices from a frozen heart into the tank. If i use one of these recipies that you guys use, do you think the fish will like it better? At this pont all i feed is frozen blood worms. They wont even eat
Tetra ColorBits.

jake
07-16-2006, 10:51 AM
Interesting recipes,

I am planning a similar, minus the beef heart but fish in its place,

basically:
salmon
shrimp,
other fish i.e. smelt
eggs,
green peas
fresh garlic
spirulina flakes
knox gelatin
artemia flakes

quantities of each proportionate to the above,

if the fish dont like it I will.

jake levi
Curran,MI

paletka
07-29-2006, 09:53 AM
Hi,

I use Agar instate of gelatin, works well and is made from See algae.

Chris Z.
Windy City Discus

Adam Robinson
08-22-2006, 11:19 AM
If You were to recommend a store bought food what would be the ones you all like?

drayman86
11-01-2006, 03:05 PM
Hi all,
I'm going to be putting together an article on food recipes. I'd be interested in adding your special beefheart, gel food, or whatever? recipe to the list if you could post it here. Please write in your submission that you authorize Simply Discus and its owners to copy, edit, and publish your recipes. Include any information about yourself that you want included with the recipe.

This article will be housed in our Library as a reference for our members.

Thanks,
al

After nearly two years of differing beefheart recipes, I've found that simplicity is best for me. Specifically:

1. I quit using the gelatin altogether. When used, the gelatin made the food very sticky and difficult (at least for my fish) to eat; acceptance was low and it took them hours to eat a serving. With no gelatin in the mix, they really seem to prefer the consistency of gelatin-free, and eat it eagerly. Seems like the food is more palatable/better taste without gelatin.

2. Latest mix was simply one ground beefheart, a couple of hand-fulls of flake food, a couple of hand-fulls of Tetra Bits, and about four egg yolks. Best mix yet and NO clouding of the water.

3. I cut out the spinach and Spirulina. The fish really didn't dig either.

4. I cut out the garlic too. After speaking a bit with Cary Strong, he was of the opinion that my pH range (about 6.2-6.5) will work to inhibit pathogens like intestinal parasites, etc., which is what I understand the garlic is intended to restrict.

(Of course, the Simply Discus website can use this information as they please. )

russell
12-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Mine Is in two versions for youngsters & for growing on.

2lb beef heart ( Veins and any fatty tissue remved )
1 handful of cooked prawns (small)
1 tablesoon lecithin (breaks down FAT)
1 tablespoon Spironula
1 desertspoon tetra prima
5 cloves ( crush through garlic press) added last!!!!!!!

Blend / mince beefheart to Rough consistency
Add prawns and blend again to puree (or mince to bite size reqd)
Stir into mix : Lecithin, spiro & prima mix well
Press and add cloves
Place in freezer bag and roll to desired thickness
Freeze

I do not use a binder as the consistency is a binder in itself

For youngsters use a blender as this will give a manageable Puree.
For Growing on use a Mincer for larger mouths
Always ADD THE GARLIC LAST when the rest of the mix has been made
and WITHIN 30 MIn of crushing

surfzone
01-13-2007, 03:14 PM
I'm a poor college student who spends alot of time hunting and fishing. so i have a few tweeks to my recipee

1 large Deer heart ( i have found this to be much more lean and cleaner than a cow's heart. when i say clean i mean that it doesn't have all the membrain, and fat on it )
1 large Atlantic Croaker or whitting, or red drum... what ever fish i have in the freezer. i just make sure i use an equil amount as the deer heart.
1 whole garlic bulb
3.5 oz of Formula One
1 Banana
1 can of babby food peas.
1 tsp kent zoe for freshwater
1/2tsp vitamin C consentrate.

first i clean off what gunk off of the heart then i chop it up into strips about an inch long. then i chop up my fish. i add the fish and heart to the blender along with the formula one cubes, banana, and garlic. puree until it resembles a liquid, but you can still see bite sized chunks of heart and formula one cubes. then i mix in the peas, zoe, and vitamin C. pour into a freezer bag and put in the freezer.

vincent_discus
10-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi Francisco..!

im not really sure which GEL www.aquaticeco.com you are using to mix beef heart...pls view attach link ......are those the right one..?...cheers Francisco..

http://www.aquaticeco.com/subcategories/593/Herbivore-Gel-Feed

I also make my own beefheart, slight variations from some of the recipes above. I find that raw shrimp helps well as a binder of everything else.

There are two things I am doing now that I consider vast improvements over my own previous recipe:

1) I now use whole silversides (small salt-water fish) as an ingredient. These are 1.5-2 inches long, and they go whole in the grinder (heads, tails, bones, all). They are soft so no problems. Great for calcium, phosphorus, omega-3 fatty acids.
2) I have improved substantially my last two batches by creating a beefheart paste that is more stable in the water (i.e, does not fly into tiny little pieces that mess up the tank). I know that people use unflavored gelatin as binder, and so did I. However --------->>>>

I found a product that is far superior: It is sold by Aquarium ecosystems (www.aquaticeco.com) and it is called something like gel-food. It is a coarse powder like gelatin that acts as binder but produces a better paste. It is very rich in protein, and in other goodies (minerals in particular). If anybody is interested, I have the breakdown of its composition, just not with me right now. It holds powders (such as vitamins or spirulina) very well. It seems to have good flavor, because the fish go for it very well. It is not expensive. Finally, gelatin "melts" very quickly on contact with the tank's temperature, whereas this gel is more stable. All in all, I like a lot better than gelatin, which is of course almost completely devoid of nutritional value.

You may want to give it a try. I like it. Should anybody be interested in further info, (product number, catalog description, etc.), look in the online catalog, or ask me.
HTH. Cheers, Francisco.

moltrup32
10-17-2008, 08:27 AM
If You were to recommend a store bought food what would be the ones you all like?

Super Vital and Mieling are definately the favorites here in Denmark. ;)

TankWatcher
11-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Recently I made my 2nd batch of beef heart. Both times, I used gelatin. My first batch bound together really well, didn't mess up the tank, and the gelatin taste didn't bother the discus. They loved it.

I've made a 2nd batch now & it messes up the tank terribly.

Trouble is, my recipe does not give amounts for gelatin - just says add gelatin.

Wondering if anyone here could tell me the ratio of gelatin per kg or 1lb of prepared beef heart mix. Do you let it set in the fridge, before freezing, or pack it straight up.

Is Agar-Agar better than gelatin. I don't think we have the aquarium gel product here in Aus.

Thanks in advance.

Moon
11-12-2008, 05:03 PM
I use a box of Knox Gelatine for about 2lbs of bh mix. Each box contains four small pouches of granular gelatine. The gelatine is added to three cups of warm water and mxed well prior to adding to the bh mix. Not quite sure of the weight of gelatne. I would think about 4oz.

TankWatcher
11-12-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks Moon. If compared to say a 5ml teaspoon, how many teaspoons would be in one small pouch of granular gelatine?

Moon
11-12-2008, 05:50 PM
I would think about 4 or 5

kenhappen2u
11-12-2008, 08:21 PM
there is some really good recipes here , cant wait to try as many as them as i can with out it costing me an arm and a leg doing so . i used to make my own BH mix many years ago for cichlids ....but i have since then misplaced the recipe... but i do see a lot of the same ingredients in many of the posts .

thanks people ....Ken

TankWatcher
11-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Thanks Moon. I don't think I used enough:angry:

EDIT: 1 made around 3kg of mix (2lb = 0.9kg) & only added around 5-6 teaspoons in total.

By Moon's estimates, I need around 12-15 teaspoons.

No wonder mine didn't set properly.

This thread has been a great help.

Discus-Hans
11-14-2008, 03:44 AM
This is what we use at the moment.

3 lbs. ground beef (7% fat or leaner)
1/2 lb. cod (skinless)
1/2 lb. shrimp (peeled)
2 table spoons peas (from a can)
Everything raw, I put it through a meat grinder and then in the mixer.

In the bowl add:
25% Angel/Discus flake food (by volume)
1 ounces of Red Paprika powder
+ vitamins (7 tablets)
and 2 table spoons Oatmeal.

Vitamins I use human A to Zinc from Centrum, put them in a coffee grinder and mix in the food.
But you can use anything they sell in the fish shop.

We freeze it in cans of 5 to 6 lbs (1 feeding lol)
You can freeze it in ziplock bags (fish bags work too) freeze it and taw what you need the next day.

This food falls apart in your water if the first Discus start to eat it, parts fly every were and that is what I want. We've all tanks LOADED with Discus. If I would have a food that sticks together 10 or 15 bullies in the tank eat till they explode (lol) and the rest gets nothing. My food is every were, so all Discus get to eat. After feeding my water is a little cloudy, yes, but my filter systems take care of that. After 20 minutes my water is cristal clear and bellies are full, just what you prefer,

Hans

prolude006
11-14-2008, 09:48 PM
Thanks for posting that Hans. Seeing as my discus came from you they will hopefully do well if I copy your recipe. Would something added to it possibly hold it together more? I am not sure what but I have my discus with plants so "everywhere" isn't my best bet!!! lol
Maybe gelatin or something?

Discus-Hans
11-15-2008, 01:09 AM
Gelatin, Agar Agar, maybe even some more oatmeal will hold it better,

Hans

Vern Archer
12-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Here is mine for you article

24 oz of deveined fat removed raw fresh beefheart
4 oz of fresh fish never frozen presentley using Atlantic Salmon
6 egg hard boiled egg yolks
1 banana aged
1 cup of shredded red lettuce
1 tbsp spirulina
7 mg of iodine I use the vegatable from health food store
1/2 vitamin powdered cap multivitamin

this will give aprox 2 lbs

I pregrind everything and then place in the food processor with No Water added.

I have used Agar Agar (available at health food stores) which has a higher melting point then Gelatin...but I find the banana binds the food and as long as I don't add water it seems to hold together ok.

It should also be noted that extended freezing of anything will diminish the vitamin content so you should make enough for just a month or two.

DiscusIt'sWhats4Dinner
12-25-2008, 02:29 AM
i wonder about adding whey protien into the mix.
this would add protien and act as a binder.

Eddie
12-25-2008, 04:21 AM
i wonder about adding whey protien into the mix.
this would add protien and act as a binder.

I think somebody mentioned that before and it wasn't a good idea as far as I can remember. I wondered that myself back in the day. There are alot of other, not so good for discus, good for humans ingredients in most but I couldn't give you any scientific results. Maybe try it, but definitely gotta check the ingredients. :o

Eddie

MostlyDiscus
12-31-2008, 10:36 AM
I have now made 40 or so pounds of your food Vern. Have to admit that I have never seen discus take to food so quickly. Young and old alike. Thank You very much Vern.

Ed Most

namrfigk
12-31-2008, 10:35 PM
i also use agar agar rather than gelatin... cuz agar agar is made from seaweed.

Vern Archer
01-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Hi Ed glad your fish enjoy..with the price of Atlantic salmon so cheap right now (where I am) I have increased the salmon to 8 oz from 4 oz..Interestingly enough salmon has more protein per oz than lean beef according to the nutritional charts.
Happy New Year!
v

DonMD
01-01-2009, 05:47 PM
For the last 6 years that I've been keeping Discus, I never used food in gelatin, just the lfs frozen beef heart in the evening, and flakes during the day from a feeder.

Question: when using food in gelatin, frozen in cubes, I assume you have to thaw, then dice into bite size pieces, is this right? At present, I simply thaw the beef heart and spoon feed, no need to dice. But, the advantages of gelatinized food for delivering meds seems like a big one.

-Don

MostlyDiscus
01-01-2009, 08:01 PM
Hi Vern,

I added diff ingredients to some of the food as well. Powdered bone meal and powdered dry liver. Seem to bind well. Also added cyclops ezze for babie reds. Hi Don, Im in vienna close to you. I would say the mix is another way to vary the diet. I use a food processer to produce a fine texture, thus blending the ingredients. Ed

Vern Archer
01-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Hi Don, I don't use gelatin in my food mix I find it not necessary, I think the banana and not adding water to the mix keeps it bound together..Gelatin has a low melting point and can quickly disolve in the warmer discus water. I suggest using agar agar, available at most Health food stores, it has a higher melting point..I have used agar agar in the past, I mixed it up and let it cool just as its ready to gel (stir until warm to the touch) I add it to the mix..heating the mix will remove some of the nutritional value of the mix especially vitamin A C and D..hope that helps. v

Dkarc@Aol.com
01-02-2009, 01:07 AM
I think somebody mentioned that before and it wasn't a good idea as far as I can remember. I wondered that myself back in the day. There are alot of other, not so good for discus, good for humans ingredients in most but I couldn't give you any scientific results. Maybe try it, but definitely gotta check the ingredients. :o

Eddie

Adding any sort of protein supplements to a food mix is NOT a good idea. It will lead to horrible water quality issues, mostly ammonia spikes/ammonia poisoning of the fish. Sustained use of protein additives can lead to organ damage and eventually death of the fish. 99% of all BH recipes out there have more than enough protein in the mix and is not necessary to increase them any further.

-Ryan

Eddie
01-02-2009, 01:16 AM
Adding any sort of protein supplements to a food mix is NOT a good idea. It will lead to horrible water quality issues, mostly ammonia spikes/ammonia poisoning of the fish. Sustained use of protein additives can lead to organ damage and eventually death of the fish. 99% of all BH recipes out there have more than enough protein in the mix and is not necessary to increase them any further.

-Ryan

Thanks Ryan, I kind of figured it wasn't good and remember reading something about it. It probably really isn't good for humans either. :o

Eddie

JRunyon21
02-10-2009, 10:35 AM
It has been a while since someone posted on the thread but I would just like to know if my proportions are ok? This is my first go at this and these ingredients are the ones that I can obtain fairly easy.

- 1 lb Beef Heart
- 3 Cans of Tuna
- 1/2 lb Shrimp
- 1/2 lb Fish Fillet
- 1 jar of baby food (carrots)
- 1 jar of baby food (peas)
- 1 jar of baby food (sweet potatoes)
- 1 jar of baby food (bananas)
- 1/4 Bottle of PolyVisol Baby Vitamins
- 1/2 Packet of Knox Gelatin
- Left Over Fish Food Flakes/Bloodworms

Vern Archer
02-10-2009, 11:32 AM
1 lb Beef Heart - raw fat removed and deveigned - ok
- 3 Cans of Tuna - are these packed in salt? if yes than no, fresh fish such as salmon is better
- 1/2 lb Shrimp - fresh unfrozen? ok
- 1/2 lb Fish Fillet - fresh unfrozen ok
- 1 jar of baby food (carrots) - not sure on the nutritional content, previously cooked would remove a lot of the carotein. not sure
- 1 jar of baby food (peas) - should be ok again if its been cooked you loose about 1/2 the nutritional value I would use fresh red lettuce for higher calcium content.
- 1 jar of baby food (sweet potatoes) no
- 1 jar of baby food (bananas) ok however I would use a whole ripe banana probably would hve more nutritional value
- 1/4 Bottle of PolyVisol Baby Vitamins - not sure I use 1/2 an adult vit to 2 lb mix
- 1/2 Packet of Knox Gelatin - Agar agar has a higher melting point however if using gelatin make it in a seperate container let cool and then add to the processor this will minimize heating the mix which can reduce nutrtional value
- Left Over Fish Food Flakes/Bloodworms no

I have been reducing the amount of beefheart and increasing the amount of fish specifically fresh Atlantic Salmon. For you mix I would add a lb of fish preferrably a fresh saltwater fish Mackeral and Salmon are among the best. When choosing a fish thats available in your area google the nutritional value and compare to the above two fish.

I am presently making and using a non beefheart mix out 2 lbs of fresh boneless Atlantic Salmon, 1 ripe banana, 4 cups shredded red lettuce, 6 hard boiled egg yolks 1/2 multi vitamin, 1/2 vitamin D, tbsp spirulina and 7mg iodine. with no water added and the banana acts as a binder fish love it unfortunately it nearly twice the cost of my beefheart mix but much easier to make. I have posted info on fish nutritional requirrements based on data that I have uncovered on my site www.archersdiscus.com. There is also information on cooking and freezing and its impact on the nutritional content of the food.
hope this helps
v

Bizzaro
04-13-2009, 04:47 AM
I have a few qestions about respies n stuff i picked up for it... first off i was unable to find beef heart in local supermarkets (99ranch, SF markets, and other orient markets) so what can i supplment for this? Whats in BH that makes it so good to use? If i was to lean more into seafood mix ex salmon white fish flites. This way i can use something that comes close to beefheart.

When you all talk about geliten are you talking about jell0? or are you finding some kinda striaght up geliten? Also i found Agar Agar at one store, they had 4 diff kinds. I ended up getting "Agar Agar powder thach RauCau Dessert 6oz" Is this the right stuff? This box had clear looking Agars on it so im guesssing its non flavor... It just has Agar Agar and sugar.

This is what I ended up buying for first try at this, I need to know how much to add or what im missing;

missing beefheart see above for reason and so
1lb shrimp (im going to remove tails ande chop the shrimp up)
3 ok size of SOLE fish flites... forgot the Wieight of them
5 full raw carriots (boil micro what ever too soften them)
4 yellow gassed bannanas
1 can of crab meat (net 6oz DR 4.25oz) i think DR is dry
mens 1 aday vits (might be a few month pass the Expi date, i also have muti vit from kirkland)
Paprika (coloring?)
Agar Agar or Jello (sugar free strawberry banana flavor)

So how should i go about mixxing alll this? i just listed every thing i picked up. I'll be trying some other respies next time or make them later.

Eddie
04-13-2009, 06:21 AM
I have a few qestions about respies n stuff i picked up for it... first off i was unable to find beef heart in local supermarkets (99ranch, SF markets, and other orient markets) so what can i supplment for this? Whats in BH that makes it so good to use? If i was to lean more into seafood mix ex salmon white fish flites. This way i can use something that comes close to beefheart.

When you all talk about geliten are you talking about jell0? or are you finding some kinda striaght up geliten? Also i found Agar Agar at one store, they had 4 diff kinds. I ended up getting "Agar Agar powder thach RauCau Dessert 6oz" Is this the right stuff? This box had clear looking Agars on it so im guesssing its non flavor... It just has Agar Agar and sugar.

This is what I ended up buying for first try at this, I need to know how much to add or what im missing;

4 yellow gassed bannanas
mens 1 aday vits (might be a few month pass the Expi date, i also have muti vit from kirkland)
Paprika (coloring?)

So how should i go about mixxing alll this? i just listed every thing i picked up. I'll be trying some other respies next time or make them later.

Beefheart is full of protein and cheap. Its a great ingredient for making tons of mix and it puts good weight on discus. I myself use seafood instead of beefheart, I find that it works very well for my fish.

Definitely boil the carrots. I'm not sure what yellow gassed bananas are. I'd never use any canned meat at all, fresh is best. Paprika is good for red fish. Agar agar makes a good binder but I'd be leery about the sugar.

Eddie

Bizzaro
04-13-2009, 12:52 PM
Gassed bananas are your yellow ones that every one eats.. I finally found bh today at mexmarket 1.79lbs untrim but in cubes.. Now i just need to know how to make it all with that recipe. So i have the right agar agar

Eddie
04-13-2009, 05:08 PM
Gassed bananas are your yellow ones that every one eats.. I finally found bh today at mexmarket 1.79lbs untrim but in cubes.. Now i just need to know how to make it all with that recipe. So i have the right agar agar

If you use the bananas when they are super ripe, black in color, it will bind the food well and you won't need the agar agar. Like I said, not sure about the sugar in it. Another thing, a few cloves of garlic may help entice the fish.

Eddie

Bizzaro
04-13-2009, 07:10 PM
So every thing i have should go right in besides the agar n gel? The flites are big should i cut down to one or just mix it all in? What about carriots two hole caeries? Hole can if pees.. Ill just make it )

Eddie
04-13-2009, 07:31 PM
So every thing i have should go right in besides the agar n gel? The flites are big should i cut down to one or just mix it all in? What about carriots two hole caeries? Hole can if pees.. Ill just make it )

I would cut the shrimp and add more fillets. Also, only one carrot and one banana. No need for agar agar.

Eddie

Bizzaro
04-13-2009, 08:16 PM
Thanks

Eddie
04-13-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks

Let us know how it turns out.

Best of luck,
Eddie

Bizzaro
04-13-2009, 10:47 PM
I think i over grind it n added to much water...? It was more paste then i thought but i had no set plans to start so i mix half then half again...

Eddie
04-14-2009, 06:40 AM
I think i over grind it n added to much water...? It was more paste then i thought but i had no set plans to start so i mix half then half again...

Paste is good, the more pasty, the more I find it binds. Mine typical looks like lumpy patte or a can of refried beans. :o

Eddie

Bizzaro
04-16-2009, 03:42 PM
turn out really good but my discus dont love it to go ga ga for it... they pick at it over time then its all gone... but the only thing i dont like it sits in the water for more then 20mins.... Im looking into FoodP now :) oh and the thing doesnt even break up... its stays hole the hole time... wait was that right lol.

Eddie
04-16-2009, 06:26 PM
turn out really good but my discus dont love it to go ga ga for it... they pick at it over time then its all gone... but the only thing i dont like it sits in the water for more then 20mins.... Im looking into FoodP now :) oh and the thing doesnt even break up... its stays hole the hole time... wait was that right lol.

They will start to like it, Im sure.

Eddie

Yassmeena
04-16-2009, 07:58 PM

4 yellow gassed bannanas
Paprika (coloring?)

Hey there - about not finding BH. Have tried local butcher shops or meateries?

Bizzaro
04-28-2009, 07:19 PM
i found it at a local mexmarket. My discus are starting to like it now when i feed it to them. Ive also feed it to my jardini :D with this food i have never seen a fish gut soo full!! lol

05 LL Stang
02-02-2010, 12:47 PM
So I am reading this seeing several ingredients common to allot of these recipes. I am thinking of tryin my own recipe derived from various sources. Here is what I have:

1 lb Grnd Turkey breast
1/2 lb Tuna (fresh)
1/2 lb fresh shrimp peeled
1 raw egg
an ounce or two of fresh spinach
1/4 cup of peas
2 cloves of garlic minced
2 tbsp of oatmeal
1 tbsp of paprika
3 Centrum a-z pills ground
1 ripe banana

Do I add a beef heart to this mix or should this be good???

From what I am reading the banana and the oatmeal should bind the food enough that I would not need gelatin??

We also have some flak seed at the house, could I add that?? Very high in protein.....

Vern Archer
02-02-2010, 01:34 PM
I would substitute hard boiled egg yolks instead of a whole raw egg and I would substitute Red Lettuce instead of Spinach...Not sure of the turkey breast idea never tried it before maybe someone else can comment.
v

Eddie
02-03-2010, 05:27 AM
I actually skip out on the banana now, just add more shrimp. Instead of Spinach, collard or turnip greens as the calcium is better absorbed. Also, add another garlic clove or 2 better. ;) The egg....whatever floats your boat. :D

Eddie

phatdave
02-03-2010, 11:04 PM
I just improved . Getting ready for Saturdays babies..

1 Handful Wardleys Cichlid Floating Pellets free
3 egg yolks .20
1 gob of Topfin Goldfish flakes free
about a dozen debreaded butterflied shrimp .75
1 slug of peas .15
3 decapsuled multi vitamins .35
several cubes of Dried Tubifex worms free
...magic bullet and into my Goodwill mini cube ice trays...?

watching my Discus grow.....PRICELESS

Dave

Eddie
02-04-2010, 12:15 AM
I just improved . Getting ready for Saturdays babies..

1 Handful Wardleys Cichlid Floating Pellets free
3 egg yolks .20
1 gob of Topfin Goldfish flakes free
about a dozen debreaded butterflied shrimp .75
1 slug of peas .15
3 decapsuled multi vitamins .35
several cubes of Dried Tubifex worms free
...magic bullet and into my Goodwill mini cube ice trays...?

watching my Discus grow.....PRICELESS

Dave

Dave, you may as well just feed them flakes or pellets with the majority of you ingredients already being processed. Also, DEBREADED shrimp? You are gonna use shrimp that is breaded for frying? Uh........

yim11
02-04-2010, 01:37 AM
x2 on the debreaded shrimp, not suggested, nor is the tubifex worms.

Primary nutrition is really the last place you want to try and cut costs for discus IMO.

phatdave
02-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Dave, you may as well just feed them flakes or pellets with the majority of you ingredients already being processed. Also, DEBREADED shrimp? You are gonna use shrimp that is breaded for frying? Uh........

It was a joke guys, sorry it failed. :argue:

Discus-Hans
02-04-2010, 11:38 AM
It was a joke guys, sorry it failed. :argue:

Even I got that, from the commercial, lol

Hans

acroken
02-04-2010, 12:18 PM
Here is mine for you article

24 oz of deveined fat removed raw fresh beefheart
4 oz of fresh fish never frozen presentley using Atlantic Salmon
6 egg hard boiled egg yolks
1 banana aged
1 cup of shredded red lettuce
1 tbsp spirulina
7 mg of iodine I use the vegatable from health food store
1/2 vitamin powdered cap multivitamin

this will give aprox 2 lbs

I pregrind everything and then place in the food processor with No Water added.

I have used Agar Agar (available at health food stores) which has a higher melting point then Gelatin...but I find the banana binds the food and as long as I don't add water it seems to hold together ok.

It should also be noted that extended freezing of anything will diminish the vitamin content so you should make enough for just a month or two.
Hey Vern, i was wondering what form of iodine you use? i can not find it in the health food store.
Kenny

kmckim
02-10-2010, 07:50 PM
I made up my own batch Sunday (yes, to the sweet sounds of the Super Bowl) and I tried to copy a few of the recipes here, but at the same time, I am a young man, and therefore, couldn't follow directions!

I used:
1/4 lb shrimp (with shells)
1/2 lb fresh salmon
2 cups spinach (blanched, to make them a bit softer)
4 Fish Oil capsules
4 Multivitamins (I checked for calcium content, etc to make sure it was there)
1 container pureed carrots
1 container pureed mixed veggies (carrots, peas, etc)
Bit of Corn starch (scientific I know)
3 egg yolks
2.5 cups chicken hearts
8 or 9 garlic cloves

I chopped it all up into a mush in a food processor, such that nothing but the spinach was recognizable (and only then since it was green). I moved it all into a large sauce pan and added just a little bit of water to it, half a cup or so. I mixed in 12 packets of Knox Gelatin to bind it up a bit, split it into 6ths and poured it into ziplock bags, making sure it was nice and flat.

The fish have started eating it after some slight confusion as to what it was, and now they seem to genuinely enjoy it, as do their cory and cardinal cohabitators.

Any input? All input? Excoriate as needed!

Vern Archer
02-10-2010, 09:56 PM
A word of caution with the 4 multi vitamins..Vitamin A should not excede 5,000 I.U. and vitamin D should not excede 400 I.U. per kilo mix 2.2 lbs. Overdosing can lead to serious illness and the blockage of the kidneys. Extra Calcium can be obtained from using red lettuce.
v

kmckim
02-11-2010, 01:13 PM
Duly noted about the vitamins. I was aware that you can overdose your poor fish, but each pill contains about half of the max you mentioned Vern. Split into the six different quart size containers I ended up freezing down, and fed only in pieces of off a sheet, I should be in the clear, right? Being science minded I should have taken that into consideration before I made the mix...

Any other input?

Thanks again for being such an awesome resource everyone!

Vern Archer
02-11-2010, 02:33 PM
Hi, since you asked, I have accumulated over the years information on fish Nutrition good bad and ugly and have placed this info under Food and Nutrition, on my site www.archersdiscus.com. Basically I use a spreadsheet to tabulate the vitamins, aminos and minerals and have another column that shows the general target I want for nutrition based on various literatures I have read. By googling the ingedients Nutritional value I load that into my spreadsheet and it tells me if I am over or under in a certain area. Its not perfect and I realize that some of the information is not based on Discus specifically but I use it as a guide. I think your formula has good variety although the fish may not like all the garlic you may have to back off a little if they don't eat it. I am constantly tweeking my formula as I gain more information or information becomes available but I have been basically using the same formula for many years. I also subscribe to feeding a good quality flake food and a live culture of white worm. I hope this helps, regards v

kmckim
02-11-2010, 03:11 PM
It certainly has, and so far, so good with the garlic, apparently I got some very Italian discus.

darkknight87
03-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Okay, maybe these two questions have already been asked ...
But first one is..Ive seen contrasting proposals about using Salmon..
Some people use it, and others say to avoid oily fish...so is it alright to use or no?

Second..
why use the gelatin? I dont understand its purpose..

hedut
03-21-2010, 11:32 AM
my own recipes

1/2 pound beef heart
1/2 pound shrimp
1/4 pound salmon
1/4 pound scallop
3 glove garlic
1 table spoon multivitamin
1 table spoon naturose
1 table spoon spirulina
2 table spoon tetrabit or prime reef

that my recipes and I take most of them from Eddie recipe :D:D:D:D

whitedevil
03-26-2010, 02:47 PM
I tend to go alittle crazy with my beefheart mixes. I can honestly say I have never made it the same way 2x but heres a basic...

2 oz formula one marine
3 egg yolk
2 tablespoons paprika

mix and heat til hot, not boiling and stir in 6-8 packets of Knox gelatin, pour and let cool. Cut it up and freeze.

Baby food (hey I have one).... the pureed spinach, carrot,bananna, are all great additives.
fish oil 1/2 tspoon

Hth,
al

PS... I, Al Sabetta authorize Simply Discus and its owners to copy, edit, and publish my recipes ;) ;D

I know this is an old thread or atleast old post, but exactly how much does this recipe yield when complete? also the consistency, I plan on using "ice cubette trays" to freeze and form the food for final use but I want to know if I need to go out and buy a new freezer or not.
Thanks

The recipe does sound kinda gourmet, I wonder if my guppies are good enough for this food.

Thanks.

JaredP
03-27-2010, 03:13 PM
This is what I am trying for my guys (who are reluctant to try beef heart. But this is all they are getting until they do)

1 part Beef heart, deveined and fat removed
1 part shelled fresh shrimp
1 part fresh white fish (I used a fresh mullock)
1 part fresh or frozen spinach.
1 cup quality pellet food
2-4 small cloves of garlic cut in half with skin removed.
one teaspoon paprika
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/raven97990/25134_10150142104890230_891480229_1.jpg

I then mix the beefheart and garlic to a small paste, then the white fish, then the pellet to a powder, once powdered add the spinach and mix.
Should look like this
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/raven97990/25134_10150142111355230_891480229_1.jpg

Put into bowl and mix by hand to a smooth consistency. And add paprika.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/raven97990/25134_10150142111935230_891480229_1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/raven97990/25134_10150142113340230_891480229_1.jpg

Then put into bags and make thin. Freeze. Thaw before feeding.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v349/raven97990/25134_10150142115480230_891480229_1.jpg

I'm just starting to try this on my guys, but at this point they only touch freeze dried blackworms, so they are going to be very hungry and will have to enjoy it.

chenkoff
05-25-2010, 03:28 PM
Just finished a batch of a new recipe.

4lbs beefheart
1lb krill meal *
2lbs plankton/krill/spirulina flakes *
1lb seaweed flakes*
4lbs spirulina flakes*
1 tin green peas
1/4 cup wheatgerm
3 packs gel carnivore diet* To bind the mixture

*aquatic ecosystems website

I tried to balance the protein to vegetable matter ratio as I read in "Trophy Discus" that the mix should not be more than 50% protein or it could retard growth. I would have preferred to use real vege matter like spinach and more peas but I used all I had at hand.

cranford
09-30-2010, 10:33 AM
i am going to try a few receipes from here these weekend , but i leave mine here,

going to right the amounts in OZ ou gramas, ( since im in Portugal )

2 fresh eggs
hand full of frozen green peas
250 fish (skinless and boneless - ) cooked for about 20 min
1,5 fresh bananas
1 apple
50 oz fresh chopped spinach
1 kg of musseles ( cook for about 20 min ) then chop all unwanted stuff
10 vitamins (buy at fish store )
10 gr flake food/ or discus food
250gr beef heart (remove fat/gristle) RAW
250gr shrimp ( with shell) RAW
100 gr frozen shrimp ( try to use BBS frozen )
2 or 3 small baby carrots ( these i cook for about 20 min )
1 tbl garlic chopes
1 ou 2 peppers

i wash everything very well, i leave the shell on the shrimp becasue they say its good in nuterion for them , only cook the fish/carrots and musseles everything else is raw.
they love it. Put everything in foos processer and then I place it directly in an ice cube plate ( that way i already get the square peicis no need to cut) after 24 hours place in ziplock bags.

cranford
09-30-2010, 07:14 PM
1 lb Beef Heart - raw fat removed and deveigned - ok
- 3 Cans of Tuna - are these packed in salt? if yes than no, fresh fish such as salmon is better
- 1/2 lb Shrimp - fresh unfrozen? ok
- 1/2 lb Fish Fillet - fresh unfrozen ok
- 1 jar of baby food (carrots) - not sure on the nutritional content, previously cooked would remove a lot of the carotein. not sure
- 1 jar of baby food (peas) - should be ok again if its been cooked you loose about 1/2 the nutritional value I would use fresh red lettuce for higher calcium content.
- 1 jar of baby food (sweet potatoes) no
- 1 jar of baby food (bananas) ok however I would use a whole ripe banana probably would hve more nutritional value
- 1/4 Bottle of PolyVisol Baby Vitamins - not sure I use 1/2 an adult vit to 2 lb mix
- 1/2 Packet of Knox Gelatin - Agar agar has a higher melting point however if using gelatin make it in a seperate container let cool and then add to the processor this will minimize heating the mix which can reduce nutrtional value
- Left Over Fish Food Flakes/Bloodworms no

I have been reducing the amount of beefheart and increasing the amount of fish specifically fresh Atlantic Salmon. For you mix I would add a lb of fish preferrably a fresh saltwater fish Mackeral and Salmon are among the best. When choosing a fish thats available in your area google the nutritional value and compare to the above two fish.

I am presently making and using a non beefheart mix out 2 lbs of fresh boneless Atlantic Salmon, 1 ripe banana, 4 cups shredded red lettuce, 6 hard boiled egg yolks 1/2 multi vitamin, 1/2 vitamin D, tbsp spirulina and 7mg iodine. with no water added and the banana acts as a binder fish love it unfortunately it nearly twice the cost of my beefheart mix but much easier to make. I have posted info on fish nutritional requirrements based on data that I have uncovered on my site www.archersdiscus.com. There is also information on cooking and freezing and its impact on the nutritional content of the food.
hope this helps
v

going to try these out on my dicus will make some these weekend ,.,.

jamess497
10-19-2011, 02:29 AM
Seems delicious recipe I must try all these recipe thanks to share...

pennex1
11-22-2011, 11:42 AM
I used this video as a guide and made my first batch last night. I did add some extra ingredients that others had mentioned in this thread. Pretty easy. SMELLS WONDERFUL THOUGH! AND IT LOOKS LIKE YOU KNOW WHAT WHEN IT WAS ALL BLENDED! MAJOR DIARRHEA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBvexGF4iw0

andreaW
03-15-2012, 06:21 AM
This thread is perfectly great! Thanks guys for all those wonderful recipes.

vizkid2005
03-24-2012, 01:44 PM
My fish are not growing as much as I've seen other users ...
My fish is on beef heart diet ..
I churn up the BH in the food processor with 2 tablets of spirulina .. That's it .. I churn it to a fine paste ..
Then spread it on a plate .. freeze it .. when it's half frozen I scour it like a chocolate bar and when its time to feed .. I break one chunk and keep it out till its melted .. and then pop it into the tank ... It's gone within 30-40 seconds ...

Anything I should add to the mix .. I`ve seen BH recipes and vary alot in ingredients .. some put expensive products into it .. Some don't put anything just BH ...
Please suggest me something I can add to my recipe that will help my fish grow ...

JenTN
03-24-2012, 01:48 PM
Water changes. Sorry couldnt resist :-)

Altum Nut
03-24-2012, 02:34 PM

+1

It's not just pumping them with food that gives you positive results.
I would say water quality and then food in that order.

...Ralph

vizkid2005
03-25-2012, 12:07 AM

+1

It's not just pumping them with food that gives you positive results.
I would say water quality and then food in that order.

...Ralph

I do 50% WC's everyday.

Jeff O
02-04-2013, 11:30 AM
Just thought Id Keep this thread going!
Liz gave me the wonderful idea to use Jenny-O Ground turkey so here is what I came up with.
1 Container of 99% fat Free Jenny-O Turkey (I've only seen one size)
1 Ripe Banana
2 Large Carrots
1 Package of frozen spinach
4-5 Woman's 1 a day Vitamins (just look at the ingredients bargain brand is the same thing)
5-8 cloves of garlic (Seems like a lot but it really isn't)
1/2 Cup pellet/flake of your choice I use NLS Discus Formula.
3 Tbls of Paprika.

Of course this can be adjusted however you like this is the base of how I do it.
-Jeff

Discus_Glen
02-11-2013, 09:24 AM
Thanks, Jeff. I think I'll try your recipe, but I'm substituting Cheetos for the bananas. :o Reason for this is every time I stand in front of them eating Cheetos, they go nuts trying to get fed. I stood in front of them eating a banana one time and they totally ignored me.

Chad Hughes
02-18-2013, 01:04 PM
I've used this recipe for years. It's easy and pretty inexpensive.

http://www.sandiegodiscus.com/uploads/8/9/9/1/8991270/beefheart.jpg

10 lbs beef heart
3 lbs peas
3 lbs carrots
6 lbs banana
1 lb minced garlic
4 lbs spinach
1 lb rolled oats
8 ounces brewers yeast
8 ounces Green Vibrance
16 ounces green nori powder

DiscusLoverJeff
02-18-2013, 03:33 PM
Hi Chad,

Interesting recipe with oats and yeast but I am sure they are good binding agents.

Do you go through this much food before it gets freezer burn? I think I want to try it but down size the quantity a bit unless some local folks want to go in on this. I have the kitchen, the space, the knifes and grinder.

Thanks!

Jeff

marrythomas
08-05-2013, 08:38 AM
yummy recopies.. do you have a recipe of making egg curry..?

Discus_Glen
08-12-2013, 11:47 AM
Here's an update... I tried substituting catfish for "white" fish. My discus won't eat it at all. Don't remember the name of the specific kind I picked up, but I'm staying away from bottom dwellers now.

Trier20
08-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Here's an update... I tried substituting catfish for "white" fish. My discus won't eat it at all. Don't remember the name of the specific kind I picked up, but I'm staying away from bottom dwellers now.

Also using a freshwater fish will allow transfer of any parasites or disease

Argentum
01-27-2014, 07:14 AM
This is something I did recently, I will update on how good is it later:

- 2 parts Beef Heart (Protein)
- 1/4 part Liver (Protein, Iron)
- 1 part Tilapia fillet (Protein, fish fat)
- 1 part Prawns (Protein, fish fat, Phosphorous)
- 1/4 Squid (Protein)
- Baby food banana, sweet potato, corn, Carrot ( carbohydrates, vitamins, carotenoids, little protein)
- 6 Multi-Vitamin & minerals tabs ( a long list of all vitamins and minerals)
- 1 Tbsp Spirulina (Protein, Carotenoids)
- 1 Clove garlic (anti bacterial, anti parasitic, enhances immunity & appetite)
- Squash of ginger (Immunity, anti parasitic)
- Squash of lemon (Vitamin C)
- paracoccus bacteria powder (2.1% Astaxanthin & other carotenoids)
- 1/2 Tsp Carophyll Pink powder (Astaxanthin)
- 2 egg yolks (Protein, Fat)
- Tbsp Glucose powder (Carbohydrates)

Binder: 50g of gelatin dissolved in hot water and mixed with the paste as a binder

SnapScott
08-21-2014, 08:53 AM
Going to try and make a few of these.

RyanGSP
05-17-2015, 11:46 AM
Those of you using Banana, are you putting the banana in whole or are you peeling it and using the inside/skin?

blueluv
05-17-2015, 11:55 AM
Those of you using Banana, are you putting the banana in whole or are you peeling it and using the inside/skin?

Use only the inside , not the skin. Lol. Preferably one that's ripe

Discuschill
09-18-2015, 06:13 AM

2 oz formula one marine
3 egg yolk
2 tablespoons paprika

fish oil 1/2 tspoon

Hth,
al

Hi Al,

I have one question: will the fish eat it? We're going to try this weekend--wish us luck! (I'm a terrible cook, so my husband is going to do it. I'll supervise)

mcrracer
06-30-2016, 07:22 PM
My daughter has a Ninja Blender. Would that be good enough to chop up a beef heart to make these recipes?

MSBolognese
06-02-2017, 09:15 AM
What´s your take on using liver? Should it be cooked or raw?
Thanks for any input.

Akili
06-03-2017, 09:10 AM
What´s your take on using liver? Should it be cooked or raw?
Thanks for any input.Liver is mostly used as a binder and if you cook it then it loses the ability to bind.

rizkymarsa
12-29-2018, 04:25 AM
i have a question about this beefheart. in my country too much problem cloudy water when u feed with beefheart. and how to make this beefheart without change the water quality ( cloudy water ) ? to be honest i never try to make this beefheart and i want to make it after i know how to handle this cloudy water and if somebody have a receipe this beefheart can make grow the discus so fast. please share it the receipe hehehe thanks all

Altum Nut
12-29-2018, 05:43 PM
i have a question about this beefheart. in my country too much problem cloudy water when u feed with beefheart. and how to make this beefheart without change the water quality ( cloudy water ) ? to be honest i never try to make this beefheart and i want to make it after i know how to handle this cloudy water and if somebody have a receipe this beefheart can make grow the discus so fast. please share it the receipe hehehe thanks all

There are various posts in this thread of beef heart recipes you can try. Some experience cloudy and poor quality of water when food is left in tank to long before water changes. Yes many use beef heart for good discus growth but there will be a combination of both food and water quality that you will have to follow and you shouldn't experience any problems.

...Ralph

Moon
12-29-2018, 07:57 PM
Beefheart will tend to pollute the water if left in for a long time. You should siphon the remainder after the fish have eaten.
Follow Ralph's advice he is a discus nut and knows what he is talking about.

Joe

LizStreithorst
12-29-2018, 09:03 PM
Carole's recipe doesn't foul the water.

Altum Nut
12-29-2018, 11:38 PM
Beefheart will tend to pollute the water if left in for a long time. You should siphon the remainder after the fish have eaten.
Follow Ralph's advice he is a discus nut and knows what he is talking about.

Joe

Ha-Ha...coming from a Discus Veteran. Good to hear from you Joe.

...Ralph

danotaylor
12-30-2018, 10:52 AM
I used ground pure deer heart, no additives, and my discus love it and are growing nicely. I have 5.5-6" fish and feed 2 times daily by hand. Most of it never even reaches the bottom, what does is gone in 5-10 minutes.

Like with Carol's salad shot pure beef heart, my water has never fouled or become cloudy using pure heart meat.

Dee1958
05-29-2019, 10:12 AM
I use one large order of chicken mcnuggets,one small order of fries, combine nuggets and fries to make a paste, do not add barbecue sauce drop small pieces of paste in your tank and watch the frenzy. Dee

LizStreithorst
05-29-2019, 10:51 AM
Amazing that some folks are so intelligent that they can go from newbie to expert in less than a month.