PDA

View Full Version : How infectious is 'Hole in the Head'?

jklnbrg
11-14-2002, 12:32 PM
I visited a Discus importer last night. He had terrific Discus from a breeder in Hong Kong.
In one tank he had a group of very nice adults. Nice until I saw they all had 'Hole in the Head' disease. I've read and heard this is mainly environmental. Any thoughts?
Are any and all fish in this fishroom more likely to contract the disease?

Thanks!

John

DarkDiscus
11-14-2002, 12:40 PM
John,

I don't believe that hole in the head is contageous. It's all about water conditions and lack of proper minerals in the diet, IMHO. I had an oscar who, I admit, was kept in poorish conditions and got a nasty case of HitH. I really made an effort to keep his 55 gallon super clean and I fed him a better diet. The holes cleared up nicely. I added other fish and none of them ever got it.

John

keno
11-14-2002, 01:09 PM
Well said John!!!!!! Live earthworms are supposed to be great for HITH.

Ken

Ivan
11-14-2002, 03:31 PM
There is some evidence (source dph) that suggests that hith is caused by Spironucleus vortens.
I think it will clear up if the fish is kept at optimal conditions, allowing the immune system to deal with plague amounts of the protazoa.

rfidiscus
11-14-2002, 04:29 PM
I have always found that clean water, 88-90 temp and a little metro. will get hith to go away very fast. Anyone think that this is also caused by Hexamita?

Carol_Roberts
11-14-2002, 04:36 PM
I think hexamita colonizes the holes after they are there.
Carol :heart1:

jklnbrg
11-14-2002, 06:15 PM
Thanks for the great feedback! I'm just being careful before buying some of his terrific specimens!

11-14-2002, 06:34 PM
Don't buy it.

Jimmy.

korbi_doc
11-14-2002, 06:45 PM
:bounce: :bounce: Some of you may remember my HITH posts with gold ss. I have found that this fish is really a canary, cuz if things are not quite right it threatens to repeat. Actually it did not go thru with it, but did increase w/c. This fish was several months with the holes, they did improve, & eventually resolved completely & no other fish was harmed in this tank!!!!!! He did develop the problem while on a VERY varied diet which included EARTHWORMS, fed 5-6Xday. I haven't any earthworms anymore, but they are great to feed. (Think I'm gonna try CBWs after I get my surgery for new knees next month.) I believe this is a very complex problem which has not been fully explained, & yes I believe the big H has a hand in it, & I used lotsa Metro. Just improve water params & feed well, it'll resolve. Dottie ::) ::) ::)

EthanCote.com
11-14-2002, 06:51 PM
Hi John,

I agree with JimmyL. Don't do it. I know you are eager to get some great Discus into your tank but you should get diseased free ones. Why take the chance? Also you will be saving yourself money on medication as well as heahaches (from the constant worry).

Treating diseased fishes are no fun (of course some disease are easier to treat than others, but that's aside the point).

Just my two cents.

Cheers,

Chi.

PS: Good things comes to those that wait... ;)

korbi_doc
11-14-2002, 06:53 PM
ANOTHER

korbi_doc
11-14-2002, 06:54 PM
& this 1 is 1 month later; today there is no evidence of it.

korbi_doc
11-14-2002, 06:57 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: Couldn't agree more Chi, this one near drove me crazy & I still look for it, & yes used lotsa meds & w/c to correct it. I don't feel it's cured, cuz if anything goes off, he threatens to restart it. lol, Dottie :o :o

EthanCote.com
11-14-2002, 06:59 PM
Knock on wood Dottie ;)

You did a superb job and he does looks so much nicer! Kudos to ya :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Chi.

jklnbrg
11-14-2002, 07:28 PM
I have no plans to buy any of the diseased fish. I am considering buying discus from other tanks at this distributer. None of those fish show any signs of HiTH.

Are ya'll implying that I should not buy anything from anyone who has any fish with HiTh?

EthanCote.com
11-14-2002, 08:04 PM
Nope John,

If you re-read my post again, you will clearly see that I specifically states, do not buy any diseased fishes.

Cheers,

Chi.

keno
11-14-2002, 09:48 PM
If this person is selling fish with HITH I wouldnt even buy his "healthy" looking fish.

Ken

ILUVDISCUS
11-15-2002, 12:07 AM
Hello Folks!

I'm new to discus so can someone suggest some good breeders for me i wanna get some info on the newest and the best strains.

thank you,

Tyrone

fishnerdz
11-15-2002, 12:12 AM
Hi all,
I recently became interested in discus, Just out of curiosity, what is the best temperature for a discus to live in?

Ozzie

Ryan
11-15-2002, 12:17 AM
Hi Ozzie,

Most people keep little juvenile discus in 86 - 88 degree water, sometimes bumping it up to 90F for new arrivals (increases metabolism to encourage appetite) or to treat for minor ailments. Adult fish don't mind cooler waters, somewhere between 80 - 84. I think 82 - 84F is the most common setting I've heard for adult fish. Usually a slight drop in temperature plays a role in stimulating adults to spawn (among many other variables), and this goes for angelfish as well.

Tyrone, where do you live? A lot of the hobbyists here are breeding discus on a smaller scale and most will enjoy meeting with you and selling you a fish or two (or eight :)). There are some very well-known and respected breeders among us, and we also have many international friends (for instance Roy (zoids) and Sly from Singapore) who can tell you about all the new varieties that are big right now out of Asia. Last I recall, people were going crazy for these Snowflakes (solid whites) and the many different crosses of them, including red whites, yellow whites, etc.

Ryan