PDA

View Full Version : New hobbyist on discus

eternity
11-15-2002, 12:17 AM
Hi everyone
I just started getting into discus... someone told me that 6.8 is the best Ph level for the fishes, is that true?

Thank you,
Boo

Ryan
11-15-2002, 12:23 AM
Hi,

What is the pH of your water after you've aged it (in other words, water that hasn't come directly from the tap, as the pH can change after aerating/aging)?

pH is a big debate. It's one of those issues we have to agree to disagree on. Many people here have naturally soft water with a low pH and their discus love it, and many people use R/O units and such to bring their pH and hardness down. However, there are others who keep their discus in hard water with much success. Sometimes discus will not spawn in hard water with a high pH but that's a different subject altogether.

To answer your question, my pH is 7.6. I have two tankfuls of discus ranging in size and age, as well as a few breeding pairs of angels that are spawning every 7 days. The fish are all happy and healthy as far as I can tell. They eat like pigs and are active. The secret is lots of fresh, clean water and good food.

Keeping your pH stable is more important than trying to alter it. When possible, try not to try and add chemicals to your water to get a "desired" pH as this can cause pH swings and stress out your discus. Just my opinion :)

Ryan

darcy
11-15-2002, 12:56 AM
Hi Boo
welcome to the madness!!! I agree with Ryan... stable,stable,stable.
My discus are in a ph of 7.8 and my water is fairly hard. They seem to do fine!! breeding different story, I just recently have had a few spawns and still trying to get all my sticks in a row to keep the babies alive. There are lot's of people here with ton's of experience and always someone willing to help out.
Darcy

Jeff
11-15-2002, 02:36 AM
Welcome,

I would agree with Ryan and Darcy. The most important thing is keeping the ph stable. Your fish will adjust to your ph. It is also important to make sure the water is dechlorinated.

11-15-2002, 02:43 AM
YEP YEP YEP!

I raise all discus fry at Ph 7.5

I breed and raise breeders at ph 7.0 have so for years.

hope this helps and welcome!

Cary Gld!

RandalB
11-15-2002, 02:48 AM
Same here,

PH 7.8 Gh6 Kh8 180TDS= No problems raising discus

RandalB