PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Problem

SoloDiscus
11-15-2002, 11:49 AM
Hey all I need some help please. My big bad discus has become wierd. First of all let me say that this discus has always been abnormal----He never hides, He usually sits at the front of the glass waiting to be feed following people that walk by from one end of the aquarium to the other hoping for a flake or two or even hand fed. A few weeks back I put in a mag float and started to use it when he freaked and shot all over the tank cutting himself up. Then he began to hide all the time in the corner. About 3 days ago he would hide and then all of a sudden shoot out and around the tank then back to hiding. The last 2 days he looked kinda normal back at the front of the glass but when I put food in it was like he was looking for something specific. I tried all the normal foods that he usually gobbles but nothing. He still seems big and fat but I havent seen him eat. Any suggestions should I increase the heat--Ive heard of that increasing appetite. Sorry for the lengthy note.

EthanCote.com
11-15-2002, 12:12 PM
Allo,

Check his poop and see what colour it is when it discharge. Normally if a Discus hasn't eaten anything in awhile but has bloated stomach can be caused by:

- food such as pellets and flakes expanding in his tummie (easily cure with epsom salt)
- internal worms/parasites (so check his feces and see what color they are)

Let us know and we can better diagnoise it. In the meantime, if you can get your hand on some rock salt, place it in the aquarium. Rock salt is used as a water conditioner. You can find it at the plumbing section of your local hardware store. (got this tip from someone with great experienced with raising and breeding discus).

Cheers,

Chi.

SoloDiscus
11-15-2002, 12:16 PM
Well I have been looking for that because my first thought seeing him nudge himself into the corner was hex but havent seen any feces yet. He is not bloated at all right now and good call on the rock salt I did do that last night as a precautionary method.

Francisco_Borrero
11-15-2002, 01:30 PM
This is just a guess, so hopefully others will comment.
First, you said the fish cut himself when he panicked the first time with the magfloat. What did he cut himself with ?
Second, his hiding, not eating, and panicking easily may all be related to having had a real bad scare on that first accident, and also to probably having had his head banged up so hard that he is not well yet. Permanent damage from this is not common, but I guess it could happen. Unlikely, however.
If he always was a healthy fish, he should come out of it and be "normal" with time. If he did not have parasites before, then the physical accident should not have given parasites to him. (I know that some pathogens can obliterate a healthy fish after a stressful condition comes in and weakens the fish).
For now, I would just wait and see, no medicines (perhaps only a little heat), salt if there are scratches/cuts/tears.
Hope it gets better. Cheers, Francisco.

brewmaster15
11-15-2002, 03:40 PM
Hows the lighting in that room. Its fall now, leaves are off the tree here in Connecticut and the room is a ton more brightly lite from windows. This canm really spook a fish if its causing glare, and they can no longer " see" you coming from a distance.

-al

Ps check your Nitrates!

SoloDiscus
11-15-2002, 03:51 PM
The lighting really never changes where the Aquarium is located but I'll check the nits tonight.

SoloDiscus
11-20-2002, 10:33 AM
I just wanted to follow up and thank everyone for their input. The big seems to be getting back to normal. I guess he just needed some time. He is still spending a bit more time in the corner than he used to but at least now he is coming back to the front and eating like a pig again---thank god.