PDA

View Full Version : When to use antibiotics, please be informed ...

EthanCote.com
11-15-2002, 03:35 PM
Hello folks,

I stumbled across a very well written article regarding the usages of antibiotics (such as tetracycline, erythromycin and sulfa drugs) as treatment for our ailing fishes and I would like to share this with everyone.

So before you dump that tetracyclie or erythromycin into the tank, read this first:
http://www.petsforum.com/cis-fishnet/afm/G29155.htm

since "Used incorrectly, antibiotics can do more harm than good".

Cheers,

Chi.

Carol_Roberts
11-15-2002, 08:35 PM
That is a very informative article Ethan. Thank you for posting the link.

Dr. Dixon tells us that most tropical freshwater diseases are gram negative. KANAMYCIN, NEOMYCIN, SULFONAMIDES AND NITROFURANS are commonly available drugs used to treat gram negative bacteria. She goes into enough detail so you can understand how the drugs work and does so in a manner that even a beginner can understand.

Carol :heart1:

11-16-2002, 02:23 AM
I agree THANKS chi thats is the best article I have seen in a long time.

I will book mark it at once.
takecare'
cary gld!

joanr
12-17-2002, 06:00 PM
A great article. Of special interest was the fact that some drugs are best for lower PH softer water and others work better in higher Ph. What I find so hard to figure out is if the fish is sick from internal worms ect. or has a viral or bacterial infection. So many of the symptoms are similiar. Thanks for posting this.

Joan

hkong
02-19-2003, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the link Ethan. This article clears many of my confusions. Good stuff. Thanks again.

--Henry

thebaglady
03-01-2003, 10:15 PM
After I finished reading the informative AFM article concerning antibiotics, before I closed off that page, I noticed another article Discus, king of the aquarium by John Benn, AFM Sept. 1988 Another good read, especially for newbies like me.

For instance, I didn't know discus prefered to be at waist level or that juveniles felt less stressed if they were kept in a 10 gal. tank till they grew a bit.

wiseone
08-17-2003, 01:14 PM
gr8 1 thnx

argie
09-02-2004, 12:57 PM
From the very, very far Argentina, we also strive to keep this South American King of the aquarium. Great to find you guys. Very good stuff posted.

Keep it up. ;)

I just cant stop reading as from yesterday when I found this Forum.