PDA

View Full Version : Additions

liz
11-15-2002, 06:10 PM
Hello As you know at the moment I have five young Discus.I am planning to add another three in the next few weeks.They are still quite shy eg when one comes out of the plants they all come out.What I was wondering if it would be a good idea to add a couple of little fish say Blue Rams.What do you think.

EthanCote.com
11-15-2002, 06:30 PM
Hi Liz,

First off, how long did you cycled your tank before you placed those 5 Discus?

Secondly how big is your tank?

Thirdly what is your current water chemistry (ie. ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, etc...)

Answering those questions should give people enuff info about your tank setup and thus be able to give you a more accurate picture as to whether to add more Discus into tank or not.

Cheers,

Chi.

Carol_Roberts
11-15-2002, 06:35 PM
Firstly and formostly . . . you'll want to quarantine your new discus in a seperate tank so you don't risk exposing the 5 you have to disease.
Carol :heart1:

EthanCote.com
11-15-2002, 06:41 PM
Doh, I failed Simply. I forgot the golden rule to Discus keeping. QT, QT and more QT...*sigh*...this young jedi sure has alot to learn.

My apology to Liz and the Simply gang.

Cheers,

Chi.

ronrca
11-15-2002, 06:50 PM
:whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :smash: :smash: :shocked: :furious: :furious: :fried: :fried: :argue: :argue: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip:

How could you! Off with his tail! Into the dungeon! THis is simply terrible!

:whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :smash: :smash: :shocked: :furious: :furious: :fried: :fried: :argue: :argue: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip: :whip:

Aaa! I feel better already! ;) ;D

liz
11-15-2002, 07:16 PM
Hello First of all I am going to get a larger tank within the next few weeks.My present tank is 3ft-21inch-12inch.Was cycled for around three weeks.ph7 A.0 N.0.Iam intending having 8 Discus I have a spare tank that I can use to quarantine fish.

Carol_Roberts
11-15-2002, 08:58 PM
Hi Liz:
I personally just keep baby discus with baby discus. Why don't you get 4 more (3 is a bad discus number) If the new guys are small you can keep them in a 20 for 4 -6 weeks of QT. Is the tank you have now a 40? That may be fine for all 9 for a few months. It's good to have a variety of sizes of tanks available. If you're like the rest of us you won't stop at 9 . . . . right Ethan?
Carol :heart1:

EthanCote.com
11-15-2002, 11:00 PM
Hey Carol, my attorney has asked me to Plea the Fifth.

So you won't get anything outta moi ;D

Cheers,

Chi.

11-16-2002, 02:35 AM
Carol is right!

Blue rams are to aggressive with small discus. they even pound big 8" Discus when paired off.

HTH
TakeCare'
Cary Gld!

mench
11-16-2002, 09:38 AM
Liz,if ya want to save a lot of time ,put a extra sponge filter into your existing tank so it can get good and "dirty" before ya get your new fishies.That way when you set up your new tank all you have to do is add the filter from the older tanks,add some water from the older tank ,let the temp get to where it needs to be and then add the fish.No fuss,no muss...nice and easy and you don't have to wait for weeks for the tank to cycle.

Mench

liz
11-16-2002, 10:08 AM
Hello Thanks folks for the advice.I think I will just stick with Discus and forget about the Rams.Its a fish I have never been too successfull with anyway,very sensitive .I know some people have them with their Discus because if anything was wrong in the tank it would effect the Rams first.Nine Discus yes why not!Also when I get my other tankI will have this one as a spare.More Discus! Maybe :)

rfidiscus
11-16-2002, 11:14 PM
How about cardinals or rummy nose? They really seem to do great in the discus tank and they really help in getting the new discus to get over there shyness. Also I didn' t see your tanks temp... try 88-90 for a week or so and this will really get there metabolisms going.