PDA

View Full Version : What size aquaclear for 80 gallon?

daninthesand
11-15-2002, 07:22 PM
Hi all.

I have never owned an aquaclear. I thought it might be an easy way to filter my soon-to-be-in-the-wall 80 gallon show tank. I'm trying to decide whether to go with an AC or build my own wet/dry.

I plan to have this a barebottom tank but somewhat heavily stocked. Say may 10 to 12 adult discus and a few smaller other species thrown in (serpae tetras for example). And I'm gonna change about 30% of the water per day.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Ryan
11-15-2002, 07:32 PM
On my 55 gallon I use an AC500. Maybe on an 80 gallon you could get away with using 2? One on each side? If it's overstocked, the extra filtration wouldn't necessarily be overkill.

Throw away the charcoal bags that come with them. Order an additional sponge for each AC, then just put two sponges in the back of each one (one sponge will come with the unit, one you'll have to buy separately).

Get pre-filters for the end of the intake tube. You can make your own or buy them specifically for that purpose. The makers of Hydro sponges make what's called a "FilterMax" (I think?) which is basically a sponge that comes with an adapter, and allows you to slide it onto the end of the intake tube. I squeeze this in a bucket of water with every w/c to remove large debris from it.

You'll need easy-access to the AC units themselves as you'll have to squeeze those sponges every few weeks (or month, or whatever you decide) just like sponge filters.

I tore down an angel tank that was really overstocked... I hadn't cleaned out the AC for 2 months, and there was nothing in it at all. It was still completely clean. I guess the pre-filters did a good job.

Ryan

Carol_Roberts
11-15-2002, 08:48 PM
You might be able to get away with one AC 500. They add another 6 + inches to the width of the tank . . . you may want to go with a wet/dry if space is an issue.
Carol :heart1:

chuck
11-15-2002, 10:21 PM
I have 2 AC 500 on a 130 gal tall (36x36x24) keeps the tank clean and the fish don't seem to mind the current . AC now sells a adapter for these filters to skim the water surface. If current is a concern maybe this would diffuse it?
atb
chuck