PDA

View Full Version : Which side of Mag-Float goes inside the tank?

Pat_in_NC
11-16-2002, 06:54 AM
This may be a stupid question but... I just got a Mag-float from Big Al's for cleaning glass and it came with essentially no directions. The device has two pieces, one that goes inside the tank and one that goes outside--but I am not sure which goes inside and which outside. One piece has writing (the Mag-Float insignia) and a reletively smooth inside surface and the other has no writing but a rough inside surface. I asssumed at first that the rough surface with no writing must go inside the tank with the insignia piece outside the tank but I thought I remembered seeing pics from Ari and Scott of their fish spawning on a Mag float with the Mag-Float insignia piece inside the tank (with eggs on it!). Can someone clue me in here? Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Pat

slicksta
11-16-2002, 08:22 AM
never really thought about it...... ??? but I put the rough no writing side in the tank....mmmmm, seems to work and the soft side would hold water like a sponge and stay wet after your done....

take a vote?

slicksta
11-16-2002, 08:26 AM
pic from That Fish Place....

http://www.thatpetplace.com/images/p29352B.JPG

;)

11-16-2002, 10:57 AM
Yes the rough side go inside your tank and the smooth felt type material side goes on the outside of your tank.
HTH Randy

EthanCote.com
11-16-2002, 11:03 AM
What does this Mag-Float do??

Thanx.

Cheers,

Chi.

11-16-2002, 11:05 AM
Chi, it is just a glass cleaner for those people that dont want to get there hands wet...................It is two magnets one goes inside of your tank glass and the other goes on the outside of your tank glass and the magnetic force keeps the magnets together and you just move the magnet across the tank glass and it cleans the inside glass of algae... Randy

Pat_in_NC
11-16-2002, 11:26 AM
Thanks John and Randy,

I just tried it and it works beautifully! I don't have any problem putting my hands in the tank and even tough I am 6' 1" tall I still have a hard time reaching inside my 125g to wipe the glass near the bottom. Bonus feature I found is that this thing cleans the outside glass as well (or at least removes water spots). This thing is cool!

Thanks again guys,

Pat

Francisco_Borrero
11-16-2002, 12:17 PM
Yep, rough side in, smooth out.
There is one more thing I love about magfloats, that other magnets don't do well:
Say you just finished cleaning the front glass and want to start on one of the sides. You just move the outside magnet over, and the inside one follows beautifully as it does not attempt to sink inmediately. The non-floating models never did this for me, which meant manual positioning for each of the 4 sides of the tank. May sound silly, but the mags are a pleasure to use. Also the magnets are very strong !!!
Cheers and happy wiping !!! Francisco.

p.s. If you use the two larger models, watch your fingers. I have already been unattentive once, and drew blood from my pinky.

Flexy
11-16-2002, 03:29 PM
Scatchy part inside the tank, smooth outside.

My question for everybody is, how do we leave the mag-float??? Do we leave it magnetized on the glass or we take it apart????

keno
11-16-2002, 03:36 PM
Side with the writing outside. I just leave mine at the side back of the tank, always in the water.

Ken

ps. you will LOVE IT!

slicksta
11-16-2002, 04:25 PM
I guess you can leave it on the tank and ready to go, but I take mine out and rinse it.
;)