PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like Hex?

LarryDinNC
11-16-2002, 11:14 AM
I have two discus that are each displaying different symptoms but I wonder if they are related. I have observed white, nearly transparant, long stringy feces from one fish but it continues to be active and eating well. The other fish has had a dramatic change in behaviour. It was my most active discus but now is listless and has stopped eating.

Please recommend how to treat.
THANKS!

Carol_Roberts
11-16-2002, 02:24 PM
Could be. What has caused these symptoms? New fish, stress, dirty water? If it's just one day of clearish feces don't worry - several days + other symptooms of not eating, dark, hiding in corner start metro tx. Make sure tank and filters are clean, change 50% water a day. Sometimes that alone will get them back on track, along with heat and salt.
Carol :heart1:

LarryDinNC
11-21-2002, 10:38 PM
Carol,

Thanks for the advise. I've tried raising the temp to 90 and adding more salt. That along with daily w/c's hasn't proven successful.

I started metro treatments today. How frequently should I do w/c's followed by metro redose? How long should treatment last?

Larry

11-21-2002, 11:23 PM
hey Larry,
If i'm correct you should change 50% of your water every day and then add another full dose each day. I do 250 mg/ 10 gallons on small fish and 400 mg/10 gallons on big fish.
brad

Carol_Roberts
11-22-2002, 01:19 AM
I do 400 - 500 mg per 10 gallons after 50% water change daily for three days or so.

Feed a few cbw or bloodworms to see if eating - may take several days before eating normal. Keep heat up until eating - at least another week. Slowly lower temp back to normal over several days.

Different folks use different amounts of metro and may dose up to 3 times per day. If my way doesn't work feel free to try another. Your water and fish are different from mine . . . . .
CArol :heart1:

LarryDinNC
11-22-2002, 07:23 AM
Brad & Carol,

Thanks for the advise. I'm doing 50% w/c daily and then dosing at 400mg/10g. I'll let you know how this works.
Larry

Ivan
11-22-2002, 12:03 PM
If the fish are eating mix the metro into beef mix. Works much quicker. I mixed 4 200 mg tabs into 800g of beef heart mix. Fed my Spiro infected fish for four days, no temp increase 50% daily wc. Fish are fully recovered and you can see them in general discusions/ pics please.
Ivan

LarryDinNC
11-26-2002, 12:44 AM
Just finished 5th daily dose of metro preceeded by 50% w/c. My PB is still not eating. I'm worried that it can't last much longer. Any suggestions?
THANKS!

Carol_Roberts
11-26-2002, 01:22 AM
Is the PB passing normal feces? sometimes it takes several days before they get their appetite back. Some discus hate being by themselves in a Q-tank and won't eat, but will start eating again when put back with the group . . . .

Leave temp up for a few more days, feed sparingly favorite food, esp. live food . . . waiti and see.

Unfortunately we can't cure all the discus all the time.
Carol :heart1:

LarryDinNC
11-29-2002, 10:22 AM
It's been two weeks since I noticed a problem and the fish is still passing very white thick looking feces, but hasn't eaten, at least not any appreciable amount for nearly two weeks. Poor thing is wasting away. Temp has been 89, as high as I could get with existing heaters. Got a new heater and I'm trying to get temp up to 93. Stopped metro treatments after five daily doses of 400mg/g. I got the metro from a LFS under the name Metrozol. It has apparently done nothing. Any suggestions? I know the poor thing can't last much longer without eating. It may be time for desperate measures if anyone has any to recommend.

Ardan
11-30-2002, 10:01 PM
Hi,
COuld be worms (nematodes)

Flubendazole may be worth a try.
Get at http://www.4fishstuff.com/index.htm

Put in food and in water (may need to tube feed)

hth
Ardan

LarryDinNC
12-01-2002, 09:08 AM
Ardan,

Thanks for the advise. Are there any defining symptoms of worms?

I have never attempted tube feeding before. Could you explain the technique or point to me a site that does?
Larry

Ardan
12-01-2002, 09:22 AM
HI
Without a microscope, you can only guess. White feces are usually flagellates, but can be a sign of worms. If it coesn't respond to Metro, then worms are a possibility.

To tube feed, mix the food (watery) with the med.
Hold the fish in a damp towel head pointed up. Use a syringe and airline tube. Put the tube into the fish a bit and pour food in the syringe (attached to the tube and held higher than the fish).
Let food trickle into the fish, some will spill out of the mouth, some will be swallowed.

hth
Ardan