PDA

View Full Version : How it all started ?

saints27
11-16-2002, 11:26 PM
Just wondering how/why everyone started to keep Discus ?
Im sure there will be some amusing stories out there.

Jamie

11-17-2002, 12:18 AM
ummmm errrr... I saw a picture on the internet. :P

The rest is history.....

Had to have.... :smash: obsessive compulsive... :crazy: :crazy:
Yup.... Thats me.... :thumbsup:

Julz

darcy
11-17-2002, 12:24 AM
Well for me I seen some babies in a lfs here, then seen some on the net.
My wheels started turning as to how to get them home. My wife went for a nap I got in my truck and when she woke up ,bang discus are in the tank!!! I had to pay a penalty for my wicked ways!!! Ah well a few more tanks later and everything is great. Now if she finds out I've been chatting with Cary...... we won't get into that!!
Darcy

karinS
11-17-2002, 12:25 AM
Well, jamie, Silly person, Don't you know that the Discus is the King of the freshwater tank. We keep discus because we are nuts. Have a nice day Karin ;D

11-17-2002, 12:26 AM
well i'm big into sailing, and one of the guys i race with told me about these fish he had that were really cool and changed colors with their moods and stuff. I told him i'd be interested in seeing what they are, as i had had a 29 gallon in my bedroom since i was 8. So i looked them up on the internet and he gave me one of his that was dying, so it died on me a few days after i got it. Then, PatinNC offered to give me six of his fish if i would drive 3 hours to Raleigh to get them, and of course, i did. So i kept those for a while and i began to buy fish and the rest is obvious.....

April
11-17-2002, 12:41 AM
i saw a pair of browns in a lfs when i was a teenager. but was told they die easy. they were big and round. neat fish. so calm and royal looking.and so flat...neat.
then i got a great book about breeding tropical fish from my aunt for xmas. and it showed them with fry on their backs. and told how everyone used to take them away and they'd die and then they figured out they need the parents slime coat to live . i thought it looked neat. never forgot. then i saw some in the local buy and sell for 10.00 each. so ..ran and bought 6. big investment. runted them out...but they were also f20's. very inbred. i hear everyone who ever got them said they never grew. so not sure if it was me or not...but i started looking for info right away and found a forum. and learnt alot.
my investments got bigger..and my fish got bigger.. and im still learning and trying to get bigger fish and better fish.
never ends.

Ryan
11-17-2002, 12:47 AM
Hi,

A few months ago we had a similar thread about how we got started into fishkeeping. For some of our new members, it may be an interesting read :) Here's a link:

http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=8;action=display;threadid=9

Ryan