PDA

View Full Version : The Horror! Oh the Horror!!

RandalB
11-17-2002, 05:10 AM
Hi all,
I just got some of the worst news a discus person can get.

I got home tonight and checked my E-mail to find out that the two adult discus I ordered missed the plane in Pittsburg and will be residing in a poorly heated warehouse until tomorrow :'(.

The Fish were going to be picked up at 5:30 today by a friend of mine who was going to house them until I could pick them up Monday with my 5 gallon buckets equipped with DC air pumps and sponge filters for the 30 min ride to my house where their new 40 gallon tank was waiting. My friend has several 7"+ RSG's in another box that was also left behind.

The carrier has already admitted their fault in this and has already agreed to pay the insurance $$. Still, it doesn't compensate for the amount of time it took to locate just the right fish and arrange for their shipping. Not to mention the fact that the fish are more than likely suffering a nasty death from ammonia poisoning and cold.

Has anyone ever had fish survive an ordeal like this?

Do I have any Hope at all for these guys? I don't know, only time will tell.

Thanks for listening to me vent and keep your fingers crossed for the fish for me,

RandalB

11-17-2002, 05:14 AM
Awe Randal...
You are living the horror story I have only read about. I deeply wish I could help...... Good Luck. I can only hope for the best.... Keep us posted.

Julz :'(

RandalB
11-17-2002, 05:21 AM
Thanks Julz,

I'll keep everyone posted. I am hoping but not encouraged. I know Discus are tough but time will definately tell.

Thanks again,
RandalB

11-17-2002, 05:31 AM
Don't forget adults too. Strong immune systems!
Hopefully with morning rise you will have good news..... :) And more responses to this thread. I remember Jason having trouble with a delayed shipment too. His pulled thru because of excelent packing. (Way to go Pril.:thumbsup:) You may have the same....

Finger crossed...!

Julz

paulmat
11-17-2002, 05:33 AM
Randal
It depends where you ordered them from (how far) When I ordered some fish from Malasia the fish that I got were in the bags for 64 hours and they were fine ???If your fish are in insulated boxes and have a heating pack they may be O.K.
Let us know how they do.
Paul

Jeffery_Doty
11-17-2002, 09:08 AM
Randal,

I am sorry to hear about the mix-up, very frustrating! I do think they have a very good chance of being just fine. As long as they were properly packaged, and the warehouse is not sub-zero, I think they will make it!

Please let us know as soon as you can, I really want to see a happy ending!

Jeff
Oregon

korbi_doc
11-17-2002, 09:26 AM
??? ??? Hoping for a good ending, they are a tough fish & its not deep winter yet?? We're pulling for them, let us know Randal, pleeeez!! Dottie :'( :'( p.s. wonder if we added a "teabag" of Zeolite to the bags, would this help offset the NH3 accumulation?

RandalB
11-17-2002, 12:54 PM
Thanks for the messages everyone!

I have hope but I don't think they were packaged with heat packs (Should have been a 6 hour flight). I don't know what the weather is like on the east coast but we got 1" of snow here in Chi-town.

Got everything crossed that I can cross and I'll definately let everyone know how this turns out!

Thanks again,
RandalB

slicksta
11-17-2002, 01:00 PM
I did have some Jewels live through 48 hrs and 15 discus from Cary that got lost for 36 hrs that arrived fine. But Cary packed them like they were going on a weeks journey.....I say you got a good chance they will be OK...........

good luck......John

11-17-2002, 02:30 PM
The pH in the bags will be so low the ammonia won't matter.

Don_Lee
11-17-2002, 02:47 PM
Good luck Randall, hope everything turns out well.....will be thinking of you.

Don

April
11-17-2002, 03:08 PM
hi. i ve had three 50 hour flights...from three different airlines and three different breeders..and i ended up with live fish withall of them. but..your frined should be prepared to take 5 gallon buckets with warm water and salt and bring some peroxide with hiim (hydrogen peroxide.) and if they are cold and gasping get them out of the bags and into the buckets. dont add the bag water . and if not breathing well...add a tiny bit of peroxide. like half a capful. just a drop. we undid all ours right there in the warehouse. it was their mistake so they were happy to let us. and if all dead..then you can show them .
going from cool water to warmer and low ph to higher is ok. as long as not way too high ph.
let us know how it goes. hope all is well.

RandalB
11-17-2002, 04:41 PM
Thanks again for the well wishes!

They should be on the ground here by now.

April, thanks for the great advice! My friend has the stuff you mentioned on standby and is going to let me know ASAP.

Fingers and all still crossed..................

RandalB

April
11-17-2002, 05:33 PM
great. if their down...keep the water level low and lots of bubbles from a bubbler. takes the pressure off of them.
hope all is well.let us know

RandalB
11-18-2002, 01:58 AM
Well, With my friend standing by with the emergency discus rescue gear, the boxes were opened in the warehouse and the claim forms were filled out then and there.

They Didn't make it. :'(

An employee of the carrier said that he would only ship via Delta if he was shipping pets.

Thanks for all the well wishes and the advice. Sorry I don't have a happy ending.

RandalB

April
11-18-2002, 02:05 AM
wow....sorry to hear...thats very sad. what a shame...all those nice fish. how many hours was it?

RandalB
11-18-2002, 02:09 AM
April,
About 30 but the cold got them. I feel worse about my friend's 7" RSG's though whole box of them.

Thanks for the advice, there won't be a next time Delta or I'll pick them up myself

RandalB

Lynn
11-18-2002, 02:13 AM
Randy....Sorry your ordeal had such a crappy ending :(

hunterbeav
11-18-2002, 02:14 AM
wow that stinks Randal sorry to hear that :(

paulmat
11-18-2002, 03:13 AM
Randal
Soory man! :'( :'( Delta has allways worked well with me.
I was hoping things would have ended better.
Paul

Liz_Streithorst
11-18-2002, 06:22 AM
So sorry Randall. I'm sure that after the screw up you had more involved emotionally than you would have had otherwise. If its any help, I know that people put fish in the freezer to euthanize them. It's supposed to be a painless death for fish.

Liz

Pick
11-18-2002, 09:25 AM
Sorry for your loss.

TC

DarkDiscus
11-18-2002, 09:58 AM
Randal,

That just plain stinks.

I was cringing when I read this thread, as I can imagine just what that would be like!

Sorry, man.

John

Jeffery_Doty
11-18-2002, 11:06 AM
Randal,

That is very sad. I hope the airlines will compensate you both fully. I am really sorry you had a sad ending with these discus. :'( :'(

Jeff
Oregon

korbi_doc
11-18-2002, 02:22 PM
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
So Sorry Randall, Dottie

Dennis_Hardenburge
11-18-2002, 02:47 PM
Randal
Sorry to hear about the loss, I certainly know how you feel.
But also I would have to think if they were packed right that they should have been ok for 30 hours, unless left outside totally unheated.
When shipping I use 36 hour heat packs and they don't cost any more than an 8 hour one.
Hopefully you will at least get the money back from the airlines.
Dennis

April
11-18-2002, 02:54 PM
yeah...they shouldve stayed warmer than that...mine were still warm after 30 hours when i shipped to jason and they got stuck over night.
i used alot of newspapers and two heat packs. Carys mcgyver box. idea. ;D

BLUEKNIGHT
11-18-2002, 05:43 PM
Randall I am sorry to hear about your loss.

RandalB
11-18-2002, 09:21 PM
Thanks again for all the replies.

I got some more details from my pal about the poor treatment this shipment got from the Air Carrier. All the boxes were at least partially crushed and damaged. The boxes were never placed on a pallet and secured as is standard for air cargo. Several of the bags (5x bags each fish) had been damaged by rough handling. When he asked if the warehouse in Pittsburg could place the boxes in a warm area, he was given a runaround and then told that the warehouse was closed for the evening so no dice.

The air carrier has already agreed to compensate us for the loss, in 4-6 weeks. Which completely makes up for their carelessness and disregard for their cargo ::)

I am not a basher and I am not sure where air carriers fall in the new forum policy, but to be on the safe side, If anyone wants to know who they are, please IM.

Thanks again for the wonderful replies and advice. I also greatly appreciate the opportunity to vent.

RandalB

RandalB
11-18-2002, 09:24 PM
Almost forgot,

There was one happy note to this, A 9" wild male green that arrived with NO WATER in the bag survived and was doing very well immediately on being put in a tank. He is currently eating and happily harasssing his smaller tankmates.

Thanks Again,
RandalB

11-18-2002, 09:31 PM
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

This saddens me to the hilt. I really want to know the carrier, and think the others would too. I vote to not have carriers fall under the new policy. Am sure Randal is bombarded with IM's right about now.... Let it be known, I say!!!!!!. :smash:

Good to here one of them made it tho. You will have to post pics when he settles in.... 9" Green Wild. :o Man thats a Dinner Plate for sure.....

Julz...

Don_Lee
11-18-2002, 11:09 PM
Sorry to hear Randall..... :'(

Don

11-19-2002, 12:23 AM
Randall,
Sorry to hear about your loss.
If you ship fish always have them packed for atleast 72 hours if not longer, even if it is only an 8 hour trip.

Miles

RandalB
11-19-2002, 12:50 AM
Miles,
I didn't pack them and believe me the shipper heard about it.

RandalB

rfidiscus
11-19-2002, 04:09 AM
That really is to bad, all those awesome wild fish that made it from the Amazon to go this way... Keep in mind that the airlines are hit or miss... Usually they get them there with no hassels but sometimes >:( Over the years I have had just about all of them do this... I have learned to make sure that there is at least one backup flight after the orginal one scheduled to aliviate this problem... Sometimes this just isn't possible; such as in your case? Sorry to hear the bad news... good luck with the claim...

amazing_discus
11-19-2002, 04:28 AM
Randall,

Sorry to hear that, very heart breaking...Goodluck to the one that survive. :'(....God Bless....Lauro

keno
11-19-2002, 10:06 AM
That story really bites! But a 9" wild green???? SWEET MOTHER OF PEARL you lucky dog!!! Glad that one made it for you. I think juvies are much more likely to survive this situation than the adults. Let us know how the refund is going.

Ken

SLY
11-19-2002, 12:06 PM
at least 1 of them made it..something to cheer about but I am really sorry to hear that sorta stuff happening during shipping..a very expensive experience IMO..I hope they compensate u well. :)

jim_shedden
11-19-2002, 12:57 PM
Wow Randel : The survivor is a warrior. I must admit I have problems with air carriers. In my business I sometimes have to fly in emergency equipment and it is always hit and miss. No wonder I drive 9 hours to Carys and then 9 hours back. Like everyone I feel for your lose.

Jim

11-19-2002, 01:11 PM
Randall,

Sorry to hear about your crappy experience. Don't compound it by skipping the quarantine. Especially when the fish were in such lousy conditions when they arrived. The lone survivor should not be harrassing any fish as he should be alone in a qtank.

Dave

RandalB
11-19-2002, 05:12 PM
Dave and everyone,

I wish I had the 9" green (and the 8-9" Blue faced Hekel that came with him). Unfortunately they belong to my buddy. All the fish I ordered were in the 2 boxes that missed the plane. The big guys and several of their siblings are in their own Q tank as a group. My buddy says that they all were in the same holding Pool so he's keeping them together for quarantine. (In a planted 90 gal no less!)

I have some Pics and I'll post them later,

Thanks again,
RandalB

RandalB
11-23-2002, 02:09 AM
Hi All, Finally got around to posting some Pics.

The first pic shows the group of wilds. Not too impressive untill you realize that the smaller ones are 6" fish.

RandalB
11-23-2002, 02:37 AM
Here's the guy that made it with no water

11-23-2002, 02:37 AM
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Very Impressive....... Randal.... They are your's now?

Please don't say.... they are the ones that were lost... :-\

RandalB
11-23-2002, 02:38 AM
Another view

RandalB
11-23-2002, 02:39 AM
And his pal the blue face.

RandalB
11-23-2002, 02:41 AM
Last but not least, some of the gang. Remember the smaller fish are around 6"

11-23-2002, 02:43 AM
I see now.... Your friends.... Wilds... Love them Wilds.... :o

RandalB
11-23-2002, 02:48 AM
Yep some very nice fish. Don't ask how much he paid for them. ;)

Thanks again to everyone for the support and well wishes.

I'm just waiting for the $$ and I'll probably spend it on some Wattley's or Great Lakes that already made the trip with someone else worrying about the arrival times! (Hooray for Jeff's discus!!)

Thanks again,
RandalB

Barb Newell
11-23-2002, 02:54 AM
Sorry to hear Randal.

Barb

paulmat
11-23-2002, 01:27 PM
Randal
The fish are beautiful ;) I really hope the next shippment has a happier ending.
Paul :guitarist: