PDA

View Full Version : setting up a breeding tank

Nicola Gillespie
11-18-2002, 05:56 PM
Hi, I am planning on breeding discus in my jewel tank - it is 180 litres (40 uk gallons) and has been up and running for more than a year. I have kept discus before so I am not new to the water conditions that they require.

At the moment I have a zebra plec in the tank and in a few weeks I will buy an adult breeding pair of discus. I would like to keep plants in the tank - around the sides and back and I also have sand in the tank.

If I was successful in breeding discus in this sort of setup would I require another tank to put the fry in or can I just keep them with their parents until they are big enough to be sold? (I have a spare 20 uk gallon tank)

If I do require another tank for the fry:

would it be ok to keep the zebra plec in this tank instead of the breeding pair's tank incase he eats the discus eggs?

does this tank need to be cycled and kept running all the time?

Thanks

Smokey
11-18-2002, 07:25 PM
The one problem I see is that the pleco may deceide to :dine : on the eggs/small fry at night time, so deffinately transfer the pleco
Best to keep all the tanks cycled, ammonia buildup is deadly.
By using water from the 180 L, the 20 will have cycled water, but best to put in at least a sponge filter.
Nicola - as the fry grow, the 180 L. may become too overcrowded; and water conditions will deteriate. And cleaning the tank will become a chore. Be prepared and tune up your parenting skills. hahahaha. just kidding!
Sounds like a nice set up. I love those Jewel tanks.

Smokey
in the great white frozen Canadian west.brrrr.