PDA

View Full Version : Good Ph test kit?

Tin Pusher
11-19-2002, 01:42 AM
I am finding more and more that keeping Discus requires a degree in chemistry. Luckly I find that part of the hobby interesting also. I am looking for a Ph test kit that is more accurate than the Hagen I am using now. Something that will let me know .1 differences would be great. Any recommendations?
Thanks

Carol_Roberts
11-19-2002, 02:06 AM
I just use the good old Aquarium Pharmaceuticals test kits. 3 drops in a test tube of water and compare to chart. Close enough for me. Anymore I can look at the tube without the chart and tell the pH. Buy a meter if you want to be exact.
CArol :heart1:

rfidiscus
11-19-2002, 03:50 AM
The HACH co. has some really good pH test kits(reagent) I found an awesome digital pH, tds temp gauge made by the North American greenhouse supplies co.(Nutra dip) I have had this meter now for 5 months and haven't had to recalibrate it yet! (I've checked the levels with other test kits) this model was only $175 compared to some of the other digital kits from hach that are $1000...

rfidiscus
11-19-2002, 03:51 AM
p.s. this nutra dip model is a continous running ac current model.

Steve_Warner
11-19-2002, 05:29 AM
Hi all,
Tin Pusher, as rfidiscus stated, Hach has some good test kits. I have their catalog(and an account with them), so I will look in there to see if they have any good ones. What do you need, a low range kit? There is also La Motte chemicals, which has some good kits, too. I have an elec. pH meter from Grainger that works good. You can buy calibrating solutions from any of the Co.'s too! HTH

Steve

RichieE
11-19-2002, 12:13 PM
I agree with Steve. Get a meter. Easy, quick, accurate. Rich

korbi_doc
11-19-2002, 01:24 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: I use a Hanna ph meter & love it. Saw one on Ebay today in a Dutch sale real inexpensive, if they're gone they'll be more. Dottie :D :D

hunterbeav
11-19-2002, 03:39 PM
Tin go check these out on sale gr8 prices on ph, tds and conductivity meters!! :) each one is under $50 each http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=6&pCatId=4527

Tin Pusher
11-20-2002, 12:51 AM
Ok electric meter it is. Lets here good and bad about different brands.

darcy
11-20-2002, 01:04 AM
I guess I have it pretty good!! I usually just use a hagen kit. But if I really want to know what the ph is I take a sample of water to work, as the power's that be bought a $1700 Ph meter!! now I'm working on them to get a conductivity meter then I'm totally set!!!

Darcy

Tin Pusher
11-20-2002, 01:22 AM
Thanks Dottie
Checked out ebay and found Hanna Checker for $25 US. Is that the one you have? Anyone have an opinion on this one?