PDA

View Full Version : which is the latest strain of discus today

arpanlib
11-19-2002, 04:16 PM
hi all,
just wanted to know which is the most recently developed strain of discus.

if you can post a pic, that would be great..

thanx for sharing the new strains.

arpanlib

BLUEKNIGHT
11-22-2002, 12:19 AM
I think it is the spotted eruptions or the shooting star by wayne or it could be the super red melon or the web leopard by chai discus farms. ;D

fcdiscus
11-22-2002, 12:32 AM
I think it is either Anands Bulldog or Dennys Butterfly. It is close! Frank ;D

Dennis_Hardenburge
11-22-2002, 10:35 PM
Wilds

12-06-2002, 06:20 PM
i'm with Dennis....lol

01-08-2003, 01:15 AM
Arpanlib, There have been no new strains--only new crosses in the past 2-3 years.

Bluenight, The shooting star is a leopard snakesin. My guess on the Spotted eruption is leopard Snakekin backcrossed to Red Spotted Green. Super Red Melon-- just improvement in cleanliness and color. Web Leopard--Leopard X Checkerboard. Joe :-\

arpanlib
01-18-2003, 08:13 AM
hi,
thanx for the info everyone.

as you mentioned that spotted eruption and shooting star are the latest strains, do you think that they would breed true to strain ???

arpanlib

BLUEKNIGHT
01-18-2003, 06:48 PM
Hi from what i have heard they dont breed true like all the spotted strains.

01-19-2003, 02:18 AM
Blueknight, For a varient to properly be referred to as a strain--a fish is to breed at least 60 % true. I see you qualified your non statement as such to say, " As I have heard ", which is not open for debate. I am not being antagonistic, but how else do they get these fish?
IME, the Snakeskin " strain " is the only non-strain because 40% is considered a success. The others as long as they are not overly innbred will breed true at least 60% of the time. Recessive Genes play a major role. Some of the best Red Turquoise I have seen has been the result of breeding two fine lined red snakeskins. The snakeskins do tend to impart a certain quality even in non-snakeskin prodigy. Joe ;)

Arpanlib, Sorry, my friend but you misquoted me. I did not say the shooting star nor the spotted eruption are new strains. The shooting Star is a Laeopard Snakeskin and the Spotted Eruption is a variation on a theme. Thank You! Joe

fred flinstone
01-19-2003, 02:26 AM
Hello , I have two "pigeon snakes" that look like they are ready to pair up . What do you think the babies will come out like ?

01-19-2003, 02:56 AM
FredFlintstone, I consulted your neighbor barney Rubble and he says you will get alot of different types of fish--Just like Christmas!!! Some snakeskin, some ordinary pigeons, some snakeskin pigeons, and some turquoise for sure. Joe ;D

fred flinstone
01-19-2003, 03:22 AM
Thank you Joe , I will tell Wilma . She will be pleased ! They are really pretty fish . I have to get a digi camera . I have another of what looks like might be a pair . They are a San Merah / Snowflake cross . They are still young fish about 9-10 months old and about 5" . The breeder says he has no idea what they will turn out like . So far they are looking pretty good !

01-19-2003, 04:39 AM
Fred, Dino says the female is ready to start planned parenthood--but the male will be acting like a teenaged guy at the Drive In til he is approximately 12--14 months of age .

Joe ;D

arpanlib
01-19-2003, 09:26 AM
hi joe,
thanx for the reply.

i got your point.......
so what do you think that i should buy the leopards, SS, checkerboard, RSG and try my combination for the shooting star and spotted errupiton or should i directly buy the strain and start breeding them???
if i have a success of 60% also on the fish, i will be very glad..... ;D

what do you think joe???

arpanlib

01-19-2003, 11:47 AM
Arpanlib, Strains take 8-10 and sometimes more generations to achieve. The Shooting Star and Spotted Eruption names are exclusive to Wayne of Wayne's Discus Centre.

Each country in Asia seems to do some strains better than others because they are either developed there or improved upon there. The preference of what to buy is entirely up to the purchaser. Singapore certainly has it's share of wonderful breeders. Singapore Fireworks ( leopard snakeskin backcrossed to Wild RSG ) would be on my list. Red Melon, Millenium Gold 1st generation, and millenium melon would be other considerations for me. Follow your instincts and be selective. Joe ;)

brewmaster15
01-19-2003, 02:20 PM
Hi Joe,
I was not aware that if Fish breed true at least 60% of the time they are considered a true Strain. In other animal breeding programs that percentage is much higher. Usually in the 90+ % range.

Is that % something that most of the international Discus community adheres to? Being a hobbyist I don't have much experience with "Fixing" a Discus strain. That number just seems real low to me as from the viewpoint of a biologist.

If you could provide more info here it would be appreciated.
Thanks,
al

01-19-2003, 05:34 PM
Brew, Yes that is the number--allbeit a low one at that! I can understand how you feel. The wilds will breed true with a higher percentage as they would not have as much crossing and backcrossing to achieve. When crossing are done for example to improve the red eye of a strain using a Golden, then there are more recessive jeans.

Another good example is the pigeonblood strains. Many times, 4-5 very different fish types will be thrown. Even Red Turquoise. The Snakeskin variety IME , is the least true strain. I have heard claims of 65 %, but never any backing up of the spawn. Cross a pigeon with a snakeskin and one may get as many as 6 different types. I don't think anything is carved in stone with a dremel tool to prove this strain acknowledgement, but it is largely accepted as such.

Joe ;)

SLY
01-20-2003, 05:03 AM
If you cross with a pigeon..u would get a few kinda fish but the setback is the percentage offishes having black specks is very high. right joe? ;)

01-21-2003, 10:09 PM
Sly, Pigeon bloodlines crossed into non pigeons will result in some negative throws but oftentimes the advantage is a redder eye in the case of using the golden to improve the eye of a non pigeon. I would hope breeders would use clean pigeons to avoid the negative characteristics. IMO, Life is too short to have ugly fish in ones tank!! Joe :D

01-29-2003, 12:04 AM
Excuse me for forgetting, but there is actually a new Discus that debuted in Duisburg this year. It was anred-eyed albino from a breeder in Hong Kong. He named it Heart of Gold. It is a red--pupiled alnino discus. The asking price was 700 Euro ( about $770 USD ) for a 2 1/2" fish. You ask, Did he sell any? What do you think? :o :o :o :o Joe

brewmaster15
01-29-2003, 09:41 AM
hey Joe, maybe he should try selling them on aquabid? ;)
-al

01-29-2003, 04:09 PM
Yeah Brew--a breeding pair of red eyed pygmy albino discus! He had a brochure accompanying the fish (8-10 in all ) Will post a pic later! Joe ;)

walton321
01-30-2003, 09:53 PM
Do the red-eye albinos look like these? The shopkeeper in HK was pushing me to buy these discus. But not for $5000HK each. That's almost $650USD!

Walton

rich
01-30-2003, 10:51 PM
Very nice, Walton. Wish there was a close-up of the fish.

arpanlib
01-31-2003, 02:43 AM
do you think they are worth that prices !!!!

arpanlib

walton321
01-31-2003, 03:18 PM
Hi: I forgot my digital cam when I went to HK so I bought one of those cheap disposable cameras therefore I couldn't get too close to the tank.

No way would I pay that outrageous amount for the discus, they look just like a yellow diamond...

But of course there are those who would pay thousands for a flowerhorn. :o

Walton

02-01-2003, 03:17 AM
Walton, Yes that is the fish. I will post the brochure tomorrow.

Joe ;)

DISCOMEXICO
02-26-2003, 05:24 PM
What do you guys think of the snow cone or snow flake isnt this a quite new strain? or is it just newer in mexico?

canuk
03-13-2003, 10:44 PM
A fish is only worth what a person will pay for it. They are like any collectable. The buyer set the market.