PDA

View Full Version : Keep an EYE on W/C

TheDiscusKid
11-19-2002, 07:16 PM
Hi all, Today I was doing my w/c on my 75. Always keep and eye on it. Don't want to make the mistake i did. I left the room after i got the siphon going on the tank. I fogot that I was doing the e/c , so I huried up and ran back. The discus in the tanks were flopping. I added some water to the tank. And I think that was the worst thing I could've done. After filling the 75 gallon up to a point where the discus can swim, I stopped filling. All the discus were breathing heavily and were all at the top and they were covered by bubbles. I saw that one of the discus was looking real bad. I ended up losing it :(. But I hope that the others will bounce back. They seem to be doing okay, but not so great. I hope all goes well. Learn from my mistakes. if there is anything that you all think I should do to try to help these other discus, please, good advice would help. Thanks

Bruce

11-19-2002, 07:19 PM
Sorry, can't help you with the fish. But to prevent this from happening in the future build a siphon like this one...

http://members.shaw.ca/dclubine/Dsc05796a.jpg

Then you can hook it on any tank and start a siphon, walk away, forget, whatever. It will only drain down to the length of the pipe and then stop. The other end hooks onto your sink so it can't fall out and pour water on the floor. I have one of these for each tank and get them all going and then start siphoning the tank bottoms. Works really well.

Dave

hunterbeav
11-20-2002, 12:28 AM
Dave how do you get them started ? :)

darcy
11-20-2002, 01:07 AM
Dave
that's a great idea!! Thanks for the pic's. I for one know what I'll be doing at work tomorrow!! ;D ;D ;D
Darcy

Jeff
11-20-2002, 03:01 AM
Man Bruce sorry to hear that. I hope they will be ok.

TheDiscusKid
11-20-2002, 08:18 AM
UPDATE. all the discus are fine and eating, so thats great. :) Only one casualty.

Bruce

11-20-2002, 08:26 AM
You just hook one end on the tank and give the other end a suck. Then hook it on the sink and walk away. The hose is long enough that I'd have to be a complete idiot to get water in my mouth.

Dave

DarkDiscus
11-20-2002, 09:41 AM
Bruce,

Thanks for the starting the thread!

Dave,

Thanks for the answer! That's a great idea for those who want to be able to do other things while doing w/c!

John

allan_mark76
11-21-2002, 02:05 AM
Go to:

www.jehmco.com

they have the siphon system with a pump attached to it... that's what I have on my python right now and it works like a dream.

A- ;D