PDA

View Full Version : Wet Dry filter with Discus?

ddaquaria
11-19-2002, 10:12 PM
I may have the opportunity to get a wet dry filter to run on my discus tank. Since I have never owned such a filter, I am interested in knowing if the filter will be a benefit for a discus tank. The tank is a 120 gallons with the wet dry as the main filter and a another filter as backup (hooked to the CO2 reactor).

Aquarius
11-19-2002, 11:59 PM
Been using a Wet/Dry on the 125 for over 5 months now. Works great IMO.
Easy to add lots of media and the sump works nice for the heater. It also has
the added benafit of pulling the water from the top, as it uses the over flow
box, thus not disturbing the bottom. That way the fish waste says on the bottom
of the tank for easy cleaning.

-steve

korbi_doc
11-20-2002, 09:23 AM
:bounce2: :bounce2: I have a wet/dry on my 90g & it does a nice job of filtering. Haven't put my heater in it yet. On my 125g have a lifeguard system. The difference is seen at w/c. With the Lifeguard intake low in the tank, don't have to unplug or change anything. I change this filter canister once a month, using quick disconnect valves. The wet/dry has to be unplugged @ w/c as the water level drops, & tho this is not difficult, when it turns on again always get some flaky material coming from the plastic tubing, even when its been cleaned. Have a difficult time so far trying to clean that length of tubing. There must be some way to do that I'm unaware of. I also have to watch the water level in the sump & not sure where it should be, but it has to cover the pump. Guess I probably just don't know best how to use it. JME, Dottie ;D

keno
11-20-2002, 09:43 AM
I have a wet dry on the 225 and love it. The water comes thru an over flow and is filtered thru a prefiler, there is a huge canister for the 2nd filter. Big tanks are a great match for wet drys.

Ken

Sean
11-20-2002, 10:52 AM
Wet Dry Filters are really great if if properly maintained IMO. Keep in mind that particles of food and plants (if in a planted tank) get syphoned through the overflow and stay in the sump. If a lot of material gets trapped in the sump water conditions can decrease.

I had a wet dry on my 60 gallon and removed it because it was kinda of a paint with this particular setup to clean the sump every couple of weeks.

Thats just my opionion,

Sean.