PDA

View Full Version : Free Swimmers.......

Tyler
11-20-2002, 05:57 PM
Thats right, looks like my alencer x santarems have started to breed. These fish I believe are fairly young, and still only a little over 4" in size, so you can imagine my surprise at how early they are starting. They just became free swimmers this morning, but the batch is pretty small....around 30. My mom reported seeing them on the parents sides earlier, but now they seem to be mostly hanging out in the top corners of the tank. The parents are there watching, but i was just wondering if this is normal. Well i must admit i am excited.....how does it sound?

Tyler

11-20-2002, 06:19 PM
Hey Tyler, lower the water level and dim or turn off your tank lights. That will help the fry find the parents better
Randy

Tyler
11-20-2002, 06:29 PM
Thanks Randy......I'm siphoning out water as we speak, and am being very carefull not to get ANY of them. I'll lower the water low as i can as long as the AC stays running....
Thanks a bunch.

Tyler

Tyler
11-20-2002, 06:41 PM
Ok, i emptied about a third of the water and turned the lights off. It seems to have helped a ton, as most of the fry have found the parents, though there is still some who seem lost. Its a constant struggle for the parents though....as the heard seems to like to head up high in the tank. Oh, and now that i brought the water level down, this AC noise is driving me crazy. I was thinking of switching it with a hydro sponge....but im worried that the sponge color would be too dark and would attract the fry.....whatcha think?
Well, this is pretty neat to watch....ill check in again soon!

Tyler

Dennis_Hardenburge
11-20-2002, 07:51 PM
Tyler
There are two things that will confuse the fry from going to the parents, and that is to much light and two much water current.
You have already turned the light off, I would leave the aquarium hood light off for a week or two, there should be enough room light, you will also want to leave a small night light on in the room with the aquarium.
If you have a cycled sponge I might swap it for the aqua clear, how ever I think the aqua clear is fine if you have a sponge over the intake and adjust it to minimum flow.
Good luck
Dennis

April
11-20-2002, 08:08 PM
Tyler..pretty cool!!!
im still waiting for mine to get it right....hoping next time.
not my reds though.their not even interested yet. still growing so hope they keep growing for awhile.
let us know how it goes. talk about anxious parents.

chuck
11-20-2002, 08:21 PM
WAAAY To go TYLER!!! :thumbsup:
chuck

11-20-2002, 08:38 PM
Tyler, check to see if your mom has a pair of white and/or light colored panty hose if so see if she will give them to you. Take them and put them over the hydro sponge. That will help with the dark coloring. Yes the fry are attracted to dark colors but also the vibrations of the sponge filter also.
Good luck, Randy

Tyler
11-20-2002, 10:39 PM
Thanks Everyone!
This is a first time with these things for me, so i really appreciate the help. So, am i better of keeping my AC on the tank (yes it does have a prefilter) or switching to the hydro with the stocking? Also, should i leave the tank 2/3 full, or just go ahead and fill it all the way? If i can fill it all the way (its a 45 gallon tank) i would just leave the AC in there.
Thanks for the advice and encouragment!

Tyler

Carol_Roberts
11-20-2002, 11:24 PM
Congratulations Tyler :thumbsup:
I'd go with the sponge filter alone right now and add the aqua clear back in a couple of weeks.
Carol :heart1:

redlines
11-20-2002, 11:31 PM
Way to go Tyler! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I would just use the Hydro & keep that water level low!

Now I guess your Mom is going to have to let you get another tank soon. Maybee it's time for an early Christmas present? :idea2:

Andy

Tyler
11-21-2002, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the advice, i did decide to go with the sponge filter. I just threw a white stocking on top of it and it should do fine.
Hmm, another tank, sounds good to me. Just picked up a 20H yesterday though..lol.. but if i need more room ill grab another tank.

Tyler

11-21-2002, 07:49 AM
A goup of knowlegible fish keepers. Right to the point and no side tracking. Excellent thread.
Jimmy.

TheDiscusKid
11-21-2002, 08:22 AM
Congrats Tyler on your first pair. I bet you was wasn't expecting these this soon. Amazing that this pair is only about 6 months. Good Luck :)

Bruce

DarkDiscus
11-21-2002, 09:34 AM
Tyler,

Very cool. You must be totally fired up and spending all your time tank-watching right about now! That is an amazingly young pair to get fry - I thought mine were young at 9 months and they haven't even managed fry yet!

Good luck and keep us up to date!

John

Tyler
11-21-2002, 05:18 PM
John, you bet I'm excited with these fish. The tank is right next to my comp, so I'm always looking! They are a very young pair....but I'm not really sure on the exact age. Oh, and John if i were you i wouldn't worry about your fish too much. Good care shows through, and before ya know it you'll have fry coming out your ears :) .

Thanks Bruce!
And Jimmy was right on....this is a great group of people here helping me. Thanks everyone, don't know where i would be without you all.

The fry seem to be doing good, but there really isn't that many of them. I'm sure they'll pick it up next spawn though...as most fish i notice have larger batches the second time. I should have some bbs ready by tonight, so all is good.

Tyler

Tyler

11-21-2002, 11:37 PM
I am so happy for you Tyler!!!! Take pictures!!!! I have fry right now too.... on day 12 - my pair is also young, yet they are big - grew quickly. I can relate to "help" I need advice, as I feel the same way!!! I am also appreciative of all the help I have recieved.... so Matt, Willie, Linda, Julz - and Simply Discus.....
THANK YOU :bounce:

DarkDiscus
11-22-2002, 12:22 PM
Tyler,

I'm looking forward to meeting you tomorrow. You sound a lot like me at that age, but you're into discus already and when I was your age I was just breeding Dempseys, convicts and some Geos. You STARTED with the best fish, and that goes a long way!

Again, keep us up to date on the spawn!

John

korbi_doc
11-22-2002, 12:54 PM
:bounce2: :bounce: Congrats Tyler!!!
WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Looking forward to meeting you & your mom, & everyone tomorrow! Hope the weather is OK, traveling in storms can be a pia. Are you bringing anything to auction? or just looking to add to?? I'm sure youre gonna need much much more for your new babies & newer babies. hahahahaha, you're way ahead of me, but I really don't want to get into that breeding phase, too many W/C,W/C,W/C,W/C,W/C,W/C, I'm tired just thinking 'bout it. lol, Dottie :o :o :o :o

Tyler
11-22-2002, 05:22 PM
Weze,
Thanks so much! And good luck with the fry! Your right, everyone here is wonderfull.....i wouldn't even have these fish if it weren't for everyone.

John,
That really means a lot to me, and I'm looking forward to meeting you too. I'm sure we'll have plenty of time to get to know eachother....that goes for you too Korbi......so it will be great.

Korbi,
I don't think ill be bringing anything to the auction....unless someone wants some kribs, lol. Sadly, I'm going with the idea i can't come home with anything either :( . All my tanks are full, and with the recent arrivals, ill be needing more tanks soon. And what do you mean, you DON'T like w/cs? lol, see ya tomorrow!

Tyler