PDA

View Full Version : difference between Marlboro red and red melon?

letranista
11-20-2002, 07:55 PM
Can anybody tell me what the difference of the marlboro red and the red melon? I see lfs selling the same fish with different names.

cobalt
11-21-2002, 01:37 AM
Hi
well to be honest the commertial breeders make up names to sell there product like any other wise buisness.
I tend to recall hearing from some international judge that ,
Red marlboro is red body yellow face, 'San maria" is red body white face and red mellon is yellow orange body and yellow face or white or red face.
It really depends on who you ask
???
I hope i shed some light on the subject.
Cobalt

letranista
11-21-2002, 02:04 AM
The ones I bought are all solid red orange in color. One has a couple of yellow stripes in the forehead and two of the others has some light black specks[just a few] in their faces.No red enhancing food[just frozen bloodworms]but red/orange in color. Can the fishes be a red melon?There were so many to choose and took me too long to decide. I did go with the confirmation than the color. Hopefully my decision would pay off in the long run.These fish came from Malaysia.Shed some light[melon or marlboro red] on what I got please.

Carol_Roberts
11-21-2002, 02:34 AM
Here's some info from Cary Strong posted on DAAH that might help answer your question:

The strain type looks to be a red doll or red melon. This strain is very close to the marlboro strain and infact is a desendent of the marlboro red. If i had to pic a strain I would choose red doll because red melons do not carry blk in the dorsal like the dolls. Also with the new peach face it has to be a new age Marlboro. Most original marlboros from back in the day did not carry a peach face.

By the way DAAH has a really informative section where Cary gives his opinion of discus . . . here's the link
http://daah.info/index.php?board=14
Carol :heart1: