PDA

View Full Version : raising fry artificially

arpanlib
11-21-2002, 02:49 PM
hi,
what do you all think about the egg diet (which jack wattley uses as the slime coat of the parent fish) to raise the discus fry artificially.

has this worked out for you all.

please let me know the secret egg formula which JW uses, or if anybody has his/her formula to artificially feed the discus fry, then please do let me know.

thanx for the info.

arpanlib

DarkDiscus
11-21-2002, 03:59 PM
Arpanlib,

I've seen this done at Al's hatchery. It works really well for him and it's very impressive. Send him an i-mail and I'm sure that he will fill you in.

Also, that's what his talk is going to be on at the discus meeting this Saturday!

John

arpanlib
11-21-2002, 04:40 PM
hi,
thanx for the reply. can you give me AL's e-mail address.

thanx a ton.

arpanlib

darcy
11-21-2002, 10:07 PM
Hey John
is there any way you can fill me in on your talk after you get back home? I would love to come and join you guys but the drive is a little far for me!!! :'( :'(
Darcy

arpanlib
11-22-2002, 03:07 AM
hi,
am waiting for AL's mail address.

thanx for the reply.

arpanlib

Carol_Roberts
11-23-2002, 01:58 AM
Hi Arpanlib:

Al's father is sick right now. He may be slow to get back to you.

Go to one of Al's posts. Here is a link to one http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=4781;sta rt=0#lastPost

Do you see the little green scroll (looks like a rolled piece of paper) on the left hand side of your screen underneath Al's fish picture? Click on that to leave Al a message.

Carol :heart1:

brewmaster15
11-23-2002, 11:29 PM
Thanks Carol!
-al :)

brewmaster15
11-23-2002, 11:42 PM
http://forum.simplydiscus.com//index.php?board=6;action=display;threadid=1262

may answer your question?

-al

peety
11-28-2002, 09:32 AM
Is there a recipe for fry for the first 3 days? i.e wigglers, first swimming ?

I just swiped some eggs from a couple of parents before they ate the lot, have them in a bowl, and will hand rear them if I can. They have been wriggling for the last 4 hours so assume they didn't mind the shift.

You say eggs, spiralina, but what ratios ? anything else I should know. Will start the bbs first thing in morning so should be ready in 24 hours.

peety ::)

darcy
11-28-2002, 05:38 PM
Peety
go backa few pages on this board I think it is page 7 or 8 and Al has a great post on artifical raising babies . This is the method I use.
Darcy
Ok it's on the very last page which is 13. By brewmaster15. I'm sure there is another one around but I'm too lazy to look for it!!!

peety
11-28-2002, 08:50 PM
Thanx Darcy,
The one on 13 was the one i was looking at but since you said there was one there I kept looking. ::)

Found it!! ;D

Brilliant resource this....

Off to the shop to get me some eggs.. couple of dozen should do ;) ;) ;)

ta
peety

arpanlib
11-29-2002, 03:52 PM
hi,
i read the post on page 13 and found to be very useful.

but no one has talked about the paste which they make for feeding the fry.
i mean, what kind of paste is it. what are the ingredients, what is the ratio, how do you make the paste and how fast does the paste dry.

i also wanted to know in how much time the eggs hatch and become free swimming??

thanx for the great help everyone.

arpanlib

kevster
11-29-2002, 11:53 PM
What you want is powdered egg yolk or Bakers Yolk. It looks just like flour only its yellow. I own a deli/bakery so my baker gets the stuff in 20 lb bags. Take about 1/2 teaspoonful and add some drops of water until you mix a paste the consistancy of peanut butter. This is what you want to smear around the side of the bowl. Then add water to bring the water just over the egg paste. With a couple of tries the stuff doesn't foul the water much. i have gone all day with them in the same water. I use an eyedropper and pick up some of the babies and you can see their bellies turn yellow

darcy
11-30-2002, 12:06 AM
Arpanlib
I take one cooked egg yolk and 1 raw and mix them together with some spirulna powder. You can add some bbs to this mix also. You have to wait at least 15 minutes for the stuff to dry on the dish or when you bring the water up it will just fall off. took me a couple of tries but I think I got it down now.
HTH
Darcy