PDA

View Full Version : What to feed the discus today and how do you make those colors v i b r a n t ?

samcatj
11-21-2002, 07:26 PM
Besides feeding your discus there staple of bloodworms can anyone give any information on other commercial choices to feed your discus such as but not limited to:
1. Mysis Shrimp, Brine Shrimp and what is the difference between the two
2. San Francisco Bay Brand Discus Delight
3. Ocean Nutrition Formula One
4. Watley Discus
5. Watley Discus formula with garlic
6. Lifeline Carnivore Pink
Any other food(s) that your discus readily eat I would appreciate knowing about.
Any information on color enhancers mixed with the food would also be helpful
This site is extremely helpful and provides such a needed service to beg. discus fanciers such as myself.
Thanks for your time and especially all of your help.

samcatj

Carol_Roberts
11-21-2002, 10:07 PM
To keep my ADULT discus in full color, vibrant and shinning I've found nothing that beats a main diet of california black worms with a bit of Tetra bits and Ocean Nutrition One flakes.

Now, I don't have any red discus (other than red turks). To get the most amount of red color you have to feed axthastanthin (sp?) or other red enhancer.

Juveniles will not have full color no matter what you feed them (well, you could feed them hormones :-X ).

Carol :heart1:

BLUEKNIGHT
11-22-2002, 12:11 AM
I feed my fish under 3inch bloodworms and over 3 inch mysis and this really gets them to size as for color there are many different food. ;D

Ivan
11-22-2002, 12:15 PM
Hi all, I use Fred recipe on dph. The spirulina that is part of the recipe makes those reds and yellows stand out. I use a table spoon for every 2lb of heart.
Ivan

cgrim10
11-24-2002, 12:36 PM
i thought spirulina produced the blues and greens? that is the only form of color enhancing iv'e done besides painting the walls blue. cg