PDA

View Full Version : Those fish are at it again

roger
11-21-2002, 11:32 PM
I think the fish can tell when something is getting ready to happen.

Here I am short on tank space with my fruit basket coming in from GLD. What do the 4 non-paired fish decide to do? 2 of them paired up and now I have eggs in my main tank. Those darn teenagers didnt have the comon courtesy to use the PVC that I put in the tank for them. They went straight for the filter pipe on my fluval. Though this pair atleast had the courtesy to lay the eggs out in the open for everyone to gaze at :)

fruit basket = 2 tangarines, 2 gold melons and 2 red melons

Im guessing this pairs eggs will go white on me overnight and be gone by the time I get back home. But one can still hope.

Oh and on a fruit basket note, it is due to arrive Saturday around noon time. T-38 and counting

Jeff
11-22-2002, 03:09 AM
Sounds like a busy weekend Roger. :thumbsup:

roger
11-22-2002, 07:17 AM
This is the type of busy I can live with :)

Well, Im still not sure about the eggs. About 1/4 of them turned white and the others still look good. I have to leave for work in about 30 minutes and probably wont be back for about 12 hours. So Ill know then if I have a true pair or just some kids playing around. Either way though its been a lot of entertainment watching them.

The smaller of the 2 spends about 80% of the time fanning an guarding the eggs. Then every so often the larger one will swim up and like a well choreographed tag in wrestling the big one starts fanning and the small one will swim around for a bit.

The other 2 fish in the tank are hating it since the pair is hiding behind the only major cover in the tank. That cover is right by the eggs. Everytime I make a suddn move they run for cover and the other 2 chase them away :)

roger
11-22-2002, 02:07 PM
A few photos to go with all the ranting and raving :)

Heres a pic of the tank prior to give you an idea of most of the tank. I added a section of PVC about 3 or 4 inches to the right of the filter inlet. You can see the 4 teens pressed up against the glass on the bottom right. They wanted to see if I was going to feed them.

roger
11-22-2002, 02:08 PM
A pic of I think "mom" and the eggs last night. As you can see she used a pretty good section of the pipe to do her business. I think its about 130 eggs or so

roger
11-22-2002, 02:11 PM
Heres a shot of the eggs this morning which you can see has some white eggs mixed in. Compared to the other pair this isn't all that many, heres where the filter inlet pipe comes in handy. That white on black is easy to see.

And yes that is a brine shrimp you see in the picture, I just got done feeding the fish. Mom was busy feeding her face which is why she isnt in the picture.

roger
11-22-2002, 02:15 PM
Here is a picture just as the tag occurs, Dad is taking care of the eggs and Mom is making a break for it.

Mom started the shake and shimy routine but after a few days dad got the colors that shows now and pretty much carried the action from then on out. Dad is probably a 1/2 inch bigger, probably in the 3.5-4 inch range.

EthanCote.com
11-22-2002, 08:44 PM
Wow Roger, you lucky dog ;)

Nice photos shooting. Wish you luck with them. Would be great to get some free swimming fries on their first try.

Also congrats on the new fruit basket.

Cheers,

Chi.

roger
11-23-2002, 12:12 AM
T minus 12 and counting to fruit basket delivery ! :bounce: ! :bounce2: !

Well, its been about 24 hours since the eggs got laid and maybe 10 or 15 of them didnt turn white yet. Anyone have any idea how long it takes before I see some sign of life? The parents are still guarding the eggs and fanning them. They havent eaten them yet so thats I guess is also a good sign, a sign of the future.

Ill say this much, this pair likes the camera, makes taking pix an easy hobby.

roger
11-25-2002, 12:57 PM
Just a couple of quick updates here.

The eggs where slowly eaten untill Saturday there ended up being about 10 eggs all white that started to fungus. I got rid of those during that evenings water change. Sunday seemed to be a day of grieving but this morning I spotted the couple doing the shake/shimy again so the seemed to have recovered nicely.

Also, the fruitbasket from GLD arrived saturday but thats a new thread with a few pics in it.

arpanlib
11-25-2002, 01:13 PM
hi,
congrats that your fish got some eggs and am sure they will get their offsprings soon. do let us know what happened.

nice pics and a great description along with it. i really enjoyed it, and congrats for the fruit basket as well.

good luck.

arpanlib

11-25-2002, 01:22 PM
Roger LOL!
When it rains it pour's hee.hee.hee

DarkDiscus
11-25-2002, 02:06 PM
Roger,

Sounds like you will soon be up to your elbows in discus! Lots o waterchanges for you!

John