PDA

View Full Version : Feeding

liz
11-22-2002, 06:17 AM
Hello I was just wondering if my young Discus are getting enough variety in their food.I still have not been able to get the Beef Heart yet but managed to get frozen Turkey Heart.I have been trying them with it for the past week but they just wont eat it.They like Diskusin,Flakes and Brine Shrimp.They are not too fussy on Bloodworm either.Do you think they are getting enough variety at the moment.

EthanCote.com
11-22-2002, 11:37 AM
That is not too bad to start off Liz.

Here are some other foods you can try. I have used and am using them on my Discus now and they love it.

I used:
- Tetra ColorBits (pellets)
- Basic Green Diet (this food is for Golfish, but since Discus are ominivors, the veggie pellets works with them well too, but this need to presoak a bit before feeding younger fish, since the pellets can be quite tough sometimes to get it down their system)
- Frozen Bloodworms and Brine Shrimps (and they love these)
- Pellets for tropical fish

Other things you can try:
- Live food such as Bloodworms or Blackworms or chopped up Earthworms

I'm sure others can give you more suggestion, but what you have should do the tricks nicely.

Give them time to get use to the Turkey Heart. Also its nice to feed them a variety of food when they are young so they won't get too picky when they get older.

HTH.

Cheers,

Chi.

Ivan
11-22-2002, 12:12 PM
They should be getting a decent diet from the flakes as most brands have a bit of everything in. Discus are Carnivourus, they don't eat plants, they eat animals that eat plants. I add lecithin and spirulina to my beef heart mix and a few cloves of garlic and some nice fish, stinks bad but the fish love it.
Ivan

liz
11-22-2002, 11:41 PM
Good morning Folks Thanks for your suggestions.I have a few types of pellets I feed my other fish with so might try some.I will also stay with the turkey heart maybe it takes time before they develop a taste for it.They are coming along nicely and they have grown a little.