PDA

View Full Version : Female Eating Eggs ?????

kevster
11-22-2002, 11:32 PM
Here's one for the experts.
I bought a breeding pair from a discus breeder in Pennsylvania who was going out of business. I am very confident they were a pair so please don't tell me my problem was I didn't get a pair.
ok here's the situation. I had them in a 29 gal tank and one fish was relentlessly chasing the other fish and kind of poking at the side of the fish. After watching this behavior for about a week I decided to seperate them. Now I am assuming the aggressive fish was the male so I took the other fish out and put it with one other medium size discus. Well the two of them started acting like they might get it on and sure enough right now as I type the smaller fish is laying eggs and the big discus (the one getting chased that I moved ) is eating the eggs as quick as the smaller female lays them.
Here's the questions
1. Will a female discus lay eggs with another female .
2. If not then the fish I moved must be a male so will a female discus be that aggressive to a male.

Carol_Roberts
11-23-2002, 12:48 AM
Yes and yes, but it usually is the male picking on the female trying to get her to breed.
Carol :heart1:

kevster
11-23-2002, 09:21 AM
Ok
so if a female with lay eggs with another female i know I have one proven breeding pair and another very young female that just laid eggs for the 1st time
Now I know I am being greedy here but here goes.
If I put my female back with her mate and they lay eggs can i move the male over to the young female and will he fertalize her eggs. And can i keep moving him back and forth between the 2 females
Thanks
Kev

Carol_Roberts
11-23-2002, 09:45 AM
Can't hurt to try.
Carol :heart1: