PDA

View Full Version : The right scavengers mixed with discus

samcatj
11-23-2002, 07:34 AM
I need to add some bottom feeding catfish to tank my 125g to help keep it clean and also some algae eaters to help control the brown algae.
Any tips on what type(s) of catfish/algae eaters would be good mates with the discus but yet do a good job helping keep the tank clean and algae free?
Thank you for your response

samcatj

roger
11-23-2002, 07:36 AM
I am using skunk corys and juli corys as bottom feeders. I would say most corys would be a good choice, but ask around since some of them dont take the heat real well.

For algae control Im using otos though they just started importing a zebra version of them that is really spectacular.

Carol_Roberts
11-23-2002, 09:49 AM
I use a syphon hose to clean the bottom and a sponge to control algea on the glass ;)

Carol :heart1:

fcdiscus
11-23-2002, 01:26 PM
I am with Carol! Frank

Ivan
11-23-2002, 04:28 PM
Whilst I'm also with Carol and Frank, I have 1 albino bristlenose. (Mandy wanted it soooooooooooo bad) and three corys (because I was sick of trying to catch them!)
Here is a pic of me Ancistrus. Female I think, three years old and no barbles.

rfidiscus
11-23-2002, 04:34 PM
We have been using ottos in our 220 show tank... and in our 6- 125 and 2- 150 that are in my "rainforest" we keep zebras, king tigers, gold seams, clown loaches and some bristle nose as cleaners... all of these fish do great with the discus. I have never seen any of them even slightly harass the discus. Stay away from chinese algae eaters and common plecos!!!!!

Ralph
11-23-2002, 05:04 PM
Most fish won't touch the brown algae. The only ones that I know of are the otos and some plecos, but like it was said before some plecos bother the discus. The otos sound like your best bet. Sometimes increased lighting will help (sometimes you just get more green algae). Either way though, you might want to look at why the algae is doing so well, it usually means too much of the chemicals that are considered nutrients for plants.

fcdiscus
11-23-2002, 07:06 PM
Tom, Since Clown loaches are nocturnal, don't you think they might bother the Discus at night? Frank

Wolf
11-23-2002, 09:41 PM
I'll second the otos they are great little tank cleaners and won't mess with the dicscus at all,. I've been working on getting some bristlenose plecos but no one it town has any. I've got some on order though so I should have some in a couple of weeks.

rcdg
11-24-2002, 02:12 AM
I don't know if anyone else has had this problem as otos usually get the thumbs up but I got rid of them cuz they were dining on the sides of my discus. >:(

Wolf
11-24-2002, 02:17 AM
Hmm, I had two plecos that had that issue and they disappeared fast. I will keep an eye on mine. So far so good. In fact when I first put them in, I thought the discus would make a quick lunch out of them. They actually tried to munch a few but the otos were too fast. Within a week, they were happily ignoring each other in my tank.

11-24-2002, 02:24 AM
Syphon hose and scrub brush works great for me.

Miles

slicksta
11-24-2002, 11:28 AM
I think it is unrealistic to think any fish can keep the bottom of a tank clean or free of algae. Bottom feeders are good in a community tank and they keep things interesting, but you will still have to clean your bottom and glass....
As far as algae goes...DO NOT get Chinese algae eaters....they gave my discus hickies when the lights went off....
I haven't had any problem with cory's at all, and they do a descent job with uneaten food. They are also an active and very fun fish to watch.
JMHO....... ;)

John

korbi_doc
11-24-2002, 12:33 PM
:bounce2: :bounce2: I love the Cories, Julii; have 4 in the 90g & 5 in the 123, all doing well, fat little guys. Discus don't bother them & they don't bother the discus. & yes, have to use the sponges & the siphon to clean bottom, Dottie ;D ;D

11-24-2002, 03:38 PM
I have 1-2 albino bristle noses in all of my tanks and I have to admit they are great algae eaters. They don't eliminate 100% of the algae, but they do manage the algae growth enough so that I don't have to scrub the glass any more.

I'll be getting some long fin bristle noses this week.
Any comments about these long fin bristle noses?

Thanks

Don_Lee
11-24-2002, 07:21 PM
I have 3 of those long-fin bristlenose plecs, I love them! They get nice and big, and really clean things up nicely. They are very attractive as they get older.

Don

MexCrombie
11-24-2002, 08:52 PM
Hi guys;

I would have to agree with most everyone... in my 150 gal I have 3 Julii Corys and 2 albino ones... I also have 2 ottos, they do a great job, and of course, gravel vac and scrubber.

Saul

11-24-2002, 11:10 PM
Hey Don,
You said "Nice and Big".
How big are you talking about?
I thought they only max-out to about 5".
Are your long fin bristle noses brown or albino?
And are they peaceful or aggressive toward discus and their own kind?

Thanks

Don_Lee
11-25-2002, 12:29 AM
They are around 4-5" and are the brown type. They are very peaceful, seem to be the same personality as the "normal" bristlenose.

Don ;D

11-25-2002, 01:29 AM
Cool.
Thanks Don.