PDA

View Full Version : Not aging Tap

rcdg
11-23-2002, 01:21 PM
From what I have read here the main reason to age and agitate tap water is to balance the ph and remove chlorine. My ph out of the tap is 7.8 and doesn't change with age. So, can I just add Prime to dechlorinate and use the water right away? I will be using this water for a grow out tank.

Sorry if this has been covered a million times ;D ;D ;D

fcdiscus
11-23-2002, 01:31 PM
So let's make it one million and one! I see no problem with that. Watch your fish for any sign of stress, and if there is, discontinue doing it that way. Frank

Carol_Roberts
11-23-2002, 03:28 PM
I love Frank's advice, he is always so practical :thumbsup:
Carol :heart1:

RandalB
11-23-2002, 04:35 PM
Just my $0.02.

I never age water, I go right from the tap. I do 75-150% a day in the grow outs and 50% with 50-50% R/O in the adults. Haven't had any problems squirting dechlor in the tanks and filling them up. Go ahead and see how they do.

RandalB

rcdg
11-23-2002, 08:17 PM
anyone else just adding dechlorinator straight to the tank and fill'in up?
That would be great, No more buckets!!! As it is now I take a five gallon bucket
to the tank and use a pump and hose to get it in the tank, then while that is pumping in I refill another bucket from the sink and lug it over to the first bucket to refill it. What a pain :P

dm
11-23-2002, 08:45 PM
One of the other reasons people age the water is to heat it to the right temp. I like the idea that I can replace half the water at once and have it the exact same temp. Sudden water temp changes can stress them.

Wolf
11-23-2002, 10:04 PM
I wish I could do that with my water. The thing I would be concerned about is the temp and co2 that needs to be airated out of it.

RandalB
11-23-2002, 11:59 PM
I just adjust the tap water to the right temp and let fly it holds the correct temp just fine. I haven't noticed any Ph changes, I usually change water too frequently for Co2 to outgas.

I use a gravity siphon to drain and a python to fill right from the sink. I hold R/O in a 55 gallon drum and pump it right to the tank.

RandalB

citizenal
11-24-2002, 01:43 AM
I also use a 55 gallon drums to water change. I had a friend that buffered water and dechlorinated at the same time he was adding water and had no problems. He had 30 discus with probably 10 catfish and some very big clown loaches in a 125. He also had an ocean clear and a uv attached to a 20 gallon sump so I dont know if that makes a difference. I prefer to preheat and pre chlorinate before adding, less stress on fish. :)

Smokey
11-24-2002, 09:27 AM
Same here.. i produce my water..r/o then peat, into a barrel, reheat, treat with nh/cl, aireate, then into my sump..when full, pump the water into the discus tank sump . Since I rely on a r/o unit for the water, the water ages about 2 hours, the time it takes to fill the barrel.
If it wasn't for the ammonia, I would run the r/o/peat water directly to the tanks; but....

smokey