PDA

View Full Version : Pigeon Bloods with strange behavior

NanDiscus
11-23-2002, 01:29 PM
Hi Everyone!

Today's question is:

I have a pair of PB's that have spawned a few times, but the fry did not find the parents. I saw no slime production at all. No big news so far.

A few weeks ago they started producing loads of slime, it's floating all over in the tank, but it does not seem like it is excess slime production induced by some sort of illness. The fish are kept in a 55 gal tank hooked up to a central system. All other fish are doing great, no excess slime on any of them. Fry are eating and growing in other tanks in the same system.
But the PB's just don't want to spawn now. I separated them, I lowered the pH as low as 4.8, I cooled the water off and heated it back up again, did major W/C's, stopped feeding for some time, but no results. Any ideas?

NanDiscus

paulmat
11-23-2002, 01:43 PM
Nan
Thier probably on strike! Higher wages and better working conditions >:(
Seriously, it's not uncommon for them to take a break,the slime could have been triggered by the previous spawning activity.
How much slime are they producing?
Paul :guitarist:

NanDiscus
11-23-2002, 02:10 PM
Paul,

The last spawning took place a good three months ago or even more.
The slime production increased about two weeks ago. No problems with nutrition and water quality, that is for sure.
They are just being stupid. :)

NanDiscus

rfidiscus
11-23-2002, 04:39 PM
some of our super clean tangerines and marlboros also have trouble feeding there young... we usually foster the babies off to another pair... anymore info let me know..
Thanks
Tom Meador

11-24-2002, 03:12 AM
I HAVE NEVER HAD TO MUCH PROBLEM WITH CLEAN PB'S RAISEING FRY.

TRY LOWERING YOUR WATER LEVEL.

TURN OFF TANK LIGHTS.

TURN FILTRATION DOWN.

COVER ALL 4 SIDES OF THE TANK AND BOTTOM WITH A BRIGHT LIGHT COLOR.

REMOVE ALL DARK OJECTS FROM TANK FILTERS HEATERS ETC...

OR JUST TO YOUNG AND NEED TO LEARN.

TRUST ME THEY HAVE SLIME AND WILL RAISE THEM.
IME ITS A LEARNING CURVE THATS IT HAPPENS WITH RED TURKS TO!

HTH
TAKECARE,
CARY GLD!

NanDiscus
11-25-2002, 12:00 PM
Cary,

These PB's have lots of dark red, some black peppering, and the female has plenty of blue coloration as well, so there should not be a problem with color. Foster parenting I use quite often with other fish, so that's alright as well.
The problem here really is getting them to spawn. They are over two years of age and they have spawned quite a few times before. What is there to do? ???

NanDiscus
11-25-2002, 12:01 PM
Just forgot to sign the above message. :)

NanDiscus

There you go! ;D

11-25-2002, 02:06 PM
Some Tips!

try keeping them at 84F for a week

then raise the temp to 88F slowly for a few days

While temp is at 88F give them cold W/Cs with Water at 82F

After that w/c lower the heater back down to 84F.

try adding a thrid discus to the tank.

leave the lights off for a few days.

Try cleaning up the pair with hyde,pp,prazi or flubendazole. A clean discus is a happy discus.

Try changing your parmeters from high to low low to high.

Try straight tap water then switch to straight r/o.

try useing a little peat in your filters.

move the pair to a new tank.

Try adding some water from another pairs tank that have recently spawned. female discus release pharmones that induce other discus to spawn. females use this to attract males.

use a divider and split the pair for a few days.

Try setting up another tank of adult discus next to the pair so the pair can see them.

Drop ph below 7.0 and do not change water for 4 to 5 days.
(makesure your tank is spottless when doing this and easy on the food.

try live foods live worms work well.

Good Luck!
hth
Takecare'
Cary Gld!