PDA

View Full Version : Is my aquarium ready????

Top_Bhoy
11-24-2002, 11:47 AM
Hope somebody can help!!

I'm attempting a fishless cycle for the first time and 2 days ago the nitrites which had peaked, went to 0 ppm virtually overnight. However, the ammonia levels remained the same as several of the previous readings (approx 3.0 ppm). The nitrates are about 20-40 ppm. I was under the impression that both the ammonia and nitrite present reduce together. I'm unsure as to exactly what to expect.

Will this ammonia go down in a few days and/or, do I have to keep adding ammonia to feed the bacteria. With the nitrites going to 0 ppm, does this mean that the tank is cycled and a water change will remove the ammonia and nitrates.

Thanks for any help.

Chris

Ralph
11-24-2002, 12:11 PM
Nitrites peak after your ammonia levels peak. You can be getting nitrite readings a week or two after ammonia hits zero. The only thing that comes to mind is that you are testing too soon after adding the ammonia. How often does your filter process the capacity of the tank?

Top_Bhoy
11-24-2002, 12:36 PM
its a 260l tank with a Fluval 404..so the turnover is about 5 times/hour..it has me baffled as its not what I expected to see. Is it possible I've added too much ammonia at the wrong times causing over saturation of ammonia for the filter to cope with....

Flexy
11-24-2002, 01:55 PM
Just give it some more time... Couple of weeks and everything should take care of it's self. Be patient.

Carol_Roberts
11-24-2002, 02:02 PM
If you're showing nitrAtes you are close to the end. give it a day or two and don't add any more ammonia.

Carol :heart1:

mikeos
11-24-2002, 04:59 PM
Hi chris,

leave off the ammonia until you get 0ppm ammonia and nitrite,
then add sufficient ammonia to give 4-5mg/l, if the filter is sufficiently mature you should have no ammonia or nitrite after 12 hours. If you still have either you need to continue with the cycle untill the filter can cope.

Forget nitrAte levels, at least for now, as you are producing nitrate the readings get well out of hand. Mine took about 3 weeks after nitrate production began to complete the cycle, you just have to wait.

Rremember to do a 90% water change ( or 3x 50%) before adding any fish.

mike