PDA

View Full Version : can I do this????

darcy
11-24-2002, 01:30 PM
let's see if I can do this. What do you think male or female????
Darcy

11-24-2002, 01:39 PM
well the tangent from the top of the fin makes it appear like a male, but the curvature at the back side makes it appear like a female. I'd need a better picture to give you my guess, but my guess would be about 50% accurate...lol

darcy
11-24-2002, 01:42 PM
sorry the pic is such crap. I just wanted to see if I could get it posted. I had trouble before but I guess it worked this time!!!!
Darcy

nice glass eh?

Carol_Roberts
11-24-2002, 02:54 PM
Beautiful, beautiful SHAPE on that pigeon blood!!!!. Very nice eye. I would love to own it. How old? How big? Then I'll guess.

Carol :heart1:

darcy
11-24-2002, 03:22 PM
Hi Carol
I believe that fish is just under year old and about 6". Still can't believe what I got out of it!!! Not bad for an lfs mutt eh?
Darcy

Carol_Roberts
11-24-2002, 03:47 PM
Then I'll guess male.

Fish that nice don't happen by accident. I wonder where the LFS got the discus from?

Carol :heart1:

OEG
11-24-2002, 06:23 PM
Very nice Darcy, i would have to guess Female. I think its one of those females that just grows and grows and throws everyone off. I could be wrong.
Oscar

BLUEKNIGHT
11-24-2002, 07:56 PM
Nice fish. It looks like a male. :o :o :o :o :o

Wolf
11-25-2002, 01:05 PM
I think it's a male also but only because it looks like my male. I've only sexed two discus ever and those are two in my tank so I'm not exactly a good resource but that fish looks like my male fish to me.

11-25-2002, 02:14 PM
nice round fish!

try a w/c with cool water and see if a tube drops

darcy
11-25-2002, 03:19 PM
hi All
first off thanks for the replies!! not the best pic but at least you can get an idea of how it looks. i have that fish in with a female Cobalt. They have spawned twice now. First spawn the big one ate them as fast as the female could lay them. second spawn didn't eat them as fast but ate them eventually. i have tried w/c with cool water and the tube does not drop on that PB, I compare it with another male that I have and their tubes look the same. they are on strike now and have seen no action from the female. Every once in a while the pb makes runs on the cone no eggs out of it though. I am thinking on switching these fish around with my other pair that I know for certain are male and female. Or throwing them back into the orgy tank.
Darcy

Lynn
11-26-2002, 01:56 AM
Darcy
My guess is female.
If you switch them around, let us know what you find out!

11-26-2002, 03:29 AM
I think the Orgy tank is the best route.

Either way Darcy, is a VERY Nice fish......... Love the shape..... Only 6" :-\, appears bigger to me.... Where is the CD?

EthanCote.com
11-26-2002, 06:36 PM
Beautiful round fish....Wow. And that is from your lfs??? Wow!!

If I have to guess, I would say its a female. Reasons:

1. I have a fish in my tank that looks round like that, and althought it is still rather young to be sexed, I would say female just from the way it interact with its more aggressive tank mates.

2. Don't females tend to grow larger than males? I was told females tend to mature faster than male.

Let us know once you find out. Beautiful fish indeed!!!

Cheers,

Chi.

11-27-2002, 01:02 AM
Chi,
Males from the same spawn tend to grow bigger than females. However, it is hard to judge interspawn (is that even a word?) fish. More accepted methods are the tangent line and of course the only fully trusted method - the female lays the eggs.

darcy
12-03-2002, 08:45 PM
Ok Folks .
Well when I got home tonight this Pb and the cobalt have a ton of eggs on the cone!!! What a freakin surprise!! They did not eat them this time, so I guess this is what you call a vast improvement!!!! Si I guess he is a male. Find out for sure tomorrow!!!! I'll try and post some pics of the eggs!!
Darcy

12-03-2002, 09:03 PM
Congrats Darcy!!!!!! ;D