PDA

View Full Version : Discus breeding schedual ???

hunterbeav
11-25-2002, 01:42 AM
Hi all we have a pair of redturks that have spawed 5 times the last time they didn't eat the eggs yaahoooo but the eggs didn't hatch. After 72 hrs they were still fanning the eggs and they had a white fungus on them. So I took the pvc pipe out cleaned off the eggs and put it back in. That was like ohh 12 days ago and they haven't spawed since. I read everywhere that peoples discus are on spawing scheduals of like 7 to 10 days. Is it normal to have a pair not on a routine, like spawn every couple weeks or so? Did we pisss them off by taking the eggs out???? Thanks all

11-25-2002, 02:58 AM
Jim,
Its very normal Your right on the money.
cary Gld!

Tyler
11-25-2002, 09:21 AM
Hope you don't mind if i expand on this a little jim.......

As a lot of you know, i have a very young pair who have just gotten their first free swimmers. I believe yesterday was day 4 or 5 free swimming. I remember seeing the pair late last night going through the spawning motions (with the fry on their backs), and i could have sworn they were gonna lay more eggs. Well surely enough, this morning when i got up there were eggs. There were also no more fry :( . Looks like the parents must have eaten them.
I was under the impression that the parents would care for the fry till the fry left them, then lay more eggs. Did my pair not do this because they were young? I also thought there would be more time im between spawns, expecially if i let them parent raise.
Can anyone explain why this happened?

Tyler

DarkDiscus
11-25-2002, 09:25 AM
Hey Tyler!

You're posting from school again, aren't you?

;)

I know that a lot of young fish of all sorts of cichlid breeds will eat a spawn and try again if they aren't satisfied or just haven't gotten it down right or whatever. Some of my best parents of different species have done just that. Hang in there and see what happens. Most fish need several tries before they catch on.

John

Tyler
11-25-2002, 09:36 AM
John,
Well, not really posting from school, but good guess! I really haven't felt too great this weekend, and it seemed to get worse this morning. So I'm just going to stay home for today :) .
What you said makes a lot of sense. I'm sure I'll get more with this spawn, and at least this time i know that if i see them going through the motions again, i can pull the fry. No biggie, and the pair seems ready to try again!

Tyler

mench
11-25-2002, 09:37 AM
Tyler,I have a pair that do that all the time.I think the third or fourth spawn they did the right thing and didn't spawn or eat the fry till I pulled them at about 3 weeks.Now they spawn,let the fry get free swimming and eat them,the last time the fry were 2 weeks old.BUT,after hearing Al tell us all just how EASY his method of raising the fry without the parents is,I am going to give it a try.All I have to do is wait for the pairs to spawn.

Mench

Tyler
11-25-2002, 09:43 AM
Thanks Ron, at least i know im not alone on this one. Hope these fish don't make a habit out of this though......i was hoping there would be a couple weeks in between each batch, and if i raise them myself that won't happen......
Good luck with the artificial rearing.....we had a great teacher! Tell us how it goes!

Tyler

April
11-25-2002, 11:57 AM
geez...bummer. but..there were only a small amount..and ive heard when a small amount they will. did you remove the cone?
Well I hope this time..they havea ton and let them be. you'll get there.

11-25-2002, 02:10 PM
Tyler,
The bigger the hatch out the more likely they will raise them.

the smaller the hatchout the more likely they will spawn again and kill the fry or new eggs.

next time just remove the female. males can handel the job alone.

best wishes
cary gld!

Tyler
11-25-2002, 05:34 PM
Well, more eggs seem to be fertile this time, so maybe they'll raise them right. Mom, no i didn't remove any cone...there wasn't one in the first place :) .
Thanks everyone

Tyler

DarkDiscus
11-25-2002, 05:50 PM
Cary,

So the males make the better solo parents? Good to know...

John

saints27
11-25-2002, 05:53 PM
I had a similar situation that when their first batch had been free swimming for 2 days the pair spawned again (there was no cone in the tank they spawned on the wall of the tank).
I put the babies into a net (a coat hanger shaped into like a bowl with a stocking over it ) and left this hanging in their tank ,i missed 3 of them as there were only about 20 to start with and those 3 were still going after a couple of days so I let the rest of the babies out of there make shift net and thought i will take the chance .
There are now the original babies (about 15 ) feeding off the parents with the new babies (about 150) so the parents didnt eat the first lot .

Just thought id share my experience.

Jamie

11-25-2002, 06:48 PM
NO JOHN NOT ALLWAYS TRUE!
BUT MOST OF THE TIME.

TYLER DID THE FRY EAT MORE OFF THE DAD OR THE MOM?

CARY GLD!

Tyler
11-25-2002, 07:01 PM
The fry did eat more off one parent than the other....problem is i don't know which fish is the male and which is the female. I haven't actually seen them spawn yet, so im not sure which is which. I'll try to find out the next spawn.

Tyler

keno
11-25-2002, 07:02 PM
Only way I can tell is watch the female lay the eggs.....lol As you can see, I ain't no expert on this.

:o :o :o :o :o

Ken

Willie
11-25-2002, 08:23 PM
Tyler;

What you're experiencing is quite common. Sometimes it happens with large spawns too. Its always a good idea to have a divider available. If you see them starting to clean off a spot, slide the divider between them. Good luck with the next one,

Willie

April
11-25-2002, 08:48 PM
Tyler...for a bit after they spawn...their breeding tubes are still down on mine anyhow. you can see wider tube on the female and pointy on the male. so you can still kinda check later. i have a pic im gonna scan in a bit...and it shows the pair with their tubes still down. you can see well. might help...even if it is after the fact.

Tyler
11-25-2002, 08:57 PM
Willie,
Thanks for the encouragement. I think I'll just have a 10 gallon open in case i need to move out the fry.....better off just giving them their own tank. Hopefully they won't need to be moved at all though :) .

Mom,
I knew there was something with the tubes.....but its too late now, as its been a while since they layed the eggs. Looks like i'll just have to wait till next time :) .

Tyler